Help

Special Education

Accommodation/Modification

>

newbie17

Accommodation/Modification
Old 04-14-2019, 11:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello my wonderful sped comrades!! I'm gearing up for annual review season...I have 5 in the 3 days we have school this week. Yay!

Here's my question...I have a very disorganized student who we all think has ADHD, but the parent refuses to get the diagnosis or look into medication. Of course, the medicine thing is a very personal decision and they need to make that decision as a family. The thing is if they'd at least get the diagnosis we could classify the child OHI and have some flexibility in programming, but as of now the child is just straight SLD. Anyway, I'm trying to come up with appropriate mods for this child. I know I need to put in something about organization but I'm not sure what or how to word it. I was thinking of saying the child needs a communication folder that the teacher and parent have to sign daily and the child can earn rewards for getting both signatures. That's a bit wordy for the accommodation/modification section though. Would it be appropriate to put "communication folder, see form attached to IEP" and then attach a document that could be put in a folder next year?

I'm going to run my idea by my sped supervisor, but I know all of you are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for any help or input!

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about this?

Daily communication folder with rewards for home and school signatures
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote
hpguest

hpguest

Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know that I would tie rewards to the student attaining something that depends on teachers and parents making the time to do. If you have parents who might not be able/willing to add one more thing onto their daily to-do list (and who might struggle with organization issues themselves), or teachers who need to rush to next class, it will be really frustrating and demoralizing for the kid. And teachers and the parents will not really appreciate you writing a goal that depends on their time.
I would go with an organizational skill that builds the students skill level for organization, such as 'student will be provided with a daily 5 point checklist of organizational items that he will check off daily, date, sign and turn in to his case manager' You can give him a reward if you feel like he would not be internally motivated. The checklist could include items such as putting forms into correct folders or turning in home work assignments.Not too much, keep it manageable, but something that should help the student stay on top off things. Heck, I need a daily checklist to remind myself, and I don't even have ADHD. Use the goal or modification to teach a life skill.

peanut21

personally
Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't put something like that in accommodations. That is a great tool, but I think of accommodations as things that help the student access the general ed curriculum. So the copy of teacher notes, extended time,etc
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote