Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing Tips?

>

Cat_Lady

Subbing Tips?
Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm about to start substitute teaching and I'm a bit nervous because I don't know what to expect. I've never worked in a school setting before but I want to focus on elementary school because I love working with kids. After I get some experience I might take some jobs in middle school or high school.
Any tips for me?

Cat_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are mine.

1. Arrive early so you can go over the lesson plans and find where important things are; lunch room, teacher rest room, location of specials classroom.

2. Read over the lesson plans and high-light important things.

3. Locate the "grab and go" bag for fire drills and evacuations.

4. If you get a key to the room, keep it in a safe place like a pocket or ID lanyard.

5. Keep the door locked but open in the event of a lock down drill you can just pull the door shut.

6. Write your name on the board, beats being called "hey teacher" all day.

7. Keep your ears open and don't tell stories. I once heard some teachers say "I wonder what she says about us" after a sub left the room; sub was complaining about how she was treated in another district.

8. Realize that you're going to be tested by the students, while you can't control this you can control how you react, don't forget you are the adult in the room. I have many "just for today" rules for such occasions.

9. Introduce yourself to the other teachers near you, in case you need help they will already know who you are (as opposed to a random stranger).

10. At some point expect a visit from the principal(s).

11. For most students positive praise works better than yelling and screaming (and less work for you too). Notes on post-it notes work well too, I know several students who have kept the positive notes I've passed out in their notebooks.

Hope these help.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
10. At some point expect a visit from the principal(s).
I have rarely had this happen in 10 years of subbing. In some schools I wouldn't recognize the principal. I do have one middle school where the principal is great. He will stop by 2-3 times a day and ask if I need anything.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-24-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. Names. Get to know them (I see their school pictures on my computer screen for our attendance and I will memorize as many as I can) and use their names as soon as they walk in their door. I find behavior is better when I know their name.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Principals do visit
Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've subbed in elementary schools for several districts and have gotten used to drop in visits from principals or VPs. It's just something they commonly do as part of making the rounds.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-24-2019 at 05:58 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

broad

pencils and paper
Old 04-25-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Take some pencils, erasers and paper.
Also books you like to read to kids.
Games that can fill extra odd parts of time even if it's just simon says
Be positive
Take a wrapped thing - like notepads or cute pencils
have a raffle at the end of the day - give slips of paper to students who follow the rules and pay attention to you. They write their name and put paper in the hat or jar. Pick one at the end of the day for the prize winner and teach how to be nice - Johnny I'm so happy for you that you are the winner, etc. Some little kids cry and need to learn they don't always win.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

All of the above...
Old 04-25-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Plus (and I only sub for elementary) a good idea is to grab a sheet of paper and a pencil, walk around the classroom, and to sketch out a seating chart. I use it to keep track of names, and also mark the page with special notesóGeorge checked out right before lunch, but has his homework; Sarah is pronounced ďsaw rahĒ not ďSare rahĒ; Joey goes to Speech at 11:40, and needs to be reminded to go.

It also helps start the day the right way when everybody knows you know their names.
BayAreaSub is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Iíve also never had a visit from the principal. Iím guessing this must be an elementary school thing. The only time I have met one is at the start of the day when they have come to personally thank me for being there, and that school always turns out to be a nightmare discipline wise.

Personally I donít give anything out to students. Early on a teacher told me to get candy for middle schoolers and I never bothered. I wasnít going to waste my own money and I was never into bribery. Thatís just me though.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-28-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Good ideas presented here that covered most of the essentials.

I would also make sure you know where the textbooks and worksheets for the day are located.

They are usually in obvious places, but not always.

Sometimes I am left with only student editions of books, and will therefore cheat and look for the teacher editions. I have found books with answer keys on shelves or cupboards that allow me to present lessons more smoothly. Just make sure you put them back exactly where you found them.

It is also rare to not have lesson plans, but it could happen. I would therefore make up some lessons in advance to serve in an emergency that correspond to grade standards.

I used to go to the library and check out books every week to use in an emergency, but never had to use them.

Unfortunately, it is extremely common to enter a room without either a single pen or pencil in sight, or sometimes both. This makes attendance a problem. Therefore having you own pens and pencils is wise.

I also let students know it is OK to raise their hand and give a wrong answer, since we all learn from mistakes. I relax them so as not to be afraid to participate.

I frequently praise students so all can hear, and let everyone know why. My goal is that every student gets praised at least once in the elementary grades.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote