What should K writing be like this time of year? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

What should K writing be like this time of year?

>

TeacherPK6

What should K writing be like this time of year?
Old 04-28-2019, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious as to what you all think would be reasonable expectations for a K student's writing at this point in the year. I'm finding myself a bit confused by some of my coworkers' concerns they bring up about their student's writing when I think maybe their expectations are too high. I just want to make sure mine aren't too low!

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My expectations are based on the student. A kiddo who entered K telling me 8 is a snowman, J is shoe, or whatever craziness and has progressed to knowing all letters and most sounds...well I expect to see initial sounds representing whole words. I'm just making stuff up here, but if that kid writes MDIK and it means my dog is cool, then I am pretty happy because that kid is making letter sound relationships and communicating via writing.

The kid who entered K knowing all letters and sounds, I expect to see phonetic writing with some conventional spelling and conventions (spaces between words, upper- and lowercase mostly appropriately used, punctuation at the end):

My dog iz kool. I lik plaing wit him. Hiz nam iz snekrs.

My dog is cool. I like playing with him. His name is Sneakers.

Holding the first kid in my imaginary scenarios to the second expectation is too high. Holding the second kid to the first is waaaay too low. And, holding the first kid to the second expectation does SUCH a disservice to the kid! It essentially ignores the growth and highlights FAILURE! You can't do THIS so you didn't achieve. I focus on growth. Writing is soooo developmental.

It depends on the kid. I don't believe in arbitrary expectations. Kinders represent such a wide array of ability; I can only base it on the students themselves.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 04-28-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love that Zia! Some kids are ready to go above and beyond, others just aren't...yet!

I was a bit confused by some of my coworkers frustration (of course they don't direct this at the kids themselves, just in team meetings and such) when kids write repetitive sentences such as, "I like a dog. I like a cat, etc" when to me that's totally appropriate for this age. Though of course I would then work with them on that skill area, I wouldn't classify that student as a "low" writer.

Thanks for your input!

Sbkangas5

Old 04-29-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Zia's answer is spot on. The range is so huge in K! My team does have a rubric that we have to use, and what always surprises me is the kids I think of as my "low" kids are usually on grade level when we really look at their writing through the eyes of the rubric. It's too easy to start to see them as low when comparing them to the kids who come in with a solid academic base.

Our end of year expectation is for kids to write 2-3 simple sentences on a topic, with basic mechanics (capital, period, and spacing) and spelling phonetically. My range is from kids that stick to basic "I see the...." and "I like...." to kids that are writing multiple, complex sentences with some phonetic and some conventional spelling and solid mechanics.

My goal is for kids to see themselves as writers and be confident and independent, regardless of where they fall on the rubric.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-29-2019, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
My goal is for kids to see themselves as writers and be confident and independent, regardless of where they fall on the rubric.
YES! And, interestingly, some of my lowest kids are the most confident in their abilities! It means they took it to heart when I cheered them on. Love Kinders so much.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much! I love this K board.