Help

Second Grade

Incessantly talking

>

disneynut

Incessantly talking
Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I have a boy in my classroom who is displaying atypical behaviors; behaviors consistent with those one could describe as on the high functioning end of the spectrum. I have gently spoken with his parents twice, but they do not wish to pursue (nor appear ready to recognize) anything at this time. (My own son was diagnosed with high functioning spectrum disorder when he was 4 years old, so I feel comfortable gently speaking to the parents.)

My challenge is that this boy talks incessantly. It is very difficult for him to succinctly answer a question. He constantly talks to his peers, shouts out, and obsesses about pencil sharpening and our laptop computers. I realize that he cannot help it, but I am starting to lose my patience. I feel terribly guilty admitting that.

I have 22 other students and no aide. He somewhat responds to my classroom management plan, however, I feel like I need some advice. We still have 8 weeks of school and I am at my wits end.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Me TOO!
Old 05-05-2019, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a child just like the one you just described. He was recently diagnosed on the spectrum, and mom has a hard time accepting that he has social problems since this child thinks that he's gods gift to mankind. We work on using hand signals for when it's OK for him to be more active and vocal. I have cards that I hold up for when he's to loud and talkative, he has a stuffed animal that he can whisper to during class so that he's not interrupting someone else. This has worked well, he loves the Skippy Jon Jones that I have, he's ears listen very well, and keeps secrets. Maybe something like this can help.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

disneynut

Old 05-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you Mamasuze! Iíll give your suggestions a try!
disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote