Help

Substitute Teachers

Vipkid

>

lovetosub

Vipkid
Old 05-13-2019, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone supplement their income in the summer teaching online? Anyone use VIPKID? Experiences? Pros? Cons?

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

I know about VIPKID
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know quite a bit about VIPKID, but I don't work for them. I've been an Online ESL Teacher for Qkids for almost a year. Both are Online ESL Companies, that teach kids who live in China. Are there some specific things that you wanted to know about VIPKID?
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Sub14
Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Itís getting very mixed reviews on line. I wanted to know if someone here had personal experience.

Sub14

I know a lot of people who teach for VIPKid
Old 05-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm a Teacher/Recruiter for 2 different Online ESL Companies, and am a member of several Groups for Online ESL Teachers. The Teachers in the groups work for many different companies, and we collaborate daily about experiences, schedules, vacation and cancellation policies, pros, cons, etc. Quite a few of them either work for VIPKid, or have worked for them. Besides, that I did a lot of research on VIPKid before choosing the first Online ESL Company that I work for. After everything I know about them I decided they weren't a good fit for me, but some Teachers do well with them. So I probably can answer just about any question you have about them.

The main reason I answered your post is because I doubt you'll get many other responses in this group, about Teaching ESL Online. I've been a member of this group for 7 years, and have mentioned many summer jobs that I've had on here. But last year when I first started Teaching ESL Online I started a post to let others in the group know about it. The job really does go well with our substitute teaching schedule, is flexible, pays well, and let's you work from home. But as soon as I posted information about the Online ESL company that I work for in this group, it was immediately deleted. They mentioned something about it being advertising, which it wasn't I was just posting that I had a new second job the same as I've done in the past. It was right around now last year, when people were asking about what they could do for work in the summer.

Anyway, if you have specific questions about VIPKid I can answer from what I know. I highly suggest you join a FB group for VIPKid, that lets Applicants join. Some of their groups are just for Teachers that are already hired. And others are for Teachers that are hired, and applicants interested in applying. You can ask all the questions that you want, search the forum for questions that have already been answered, and find a Teacher/Recruiter that can help you through the hiring process.

luv2teach2017

Old 05-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

lovetosub...I never worked with VIPKIDS but a couple of years ago I did go through their extensive screening and live teaching demo process. After all my time and effort (and expense buying a background and props for the demo) I was not approved but did not get a satisfactory explanation as to why. They just invited me to try again. But I declined.

From what I see, VIPKIDS seems to want a "type" that portrays a youthful image for their company, namely 20 something and very attracive on camera. I liked the reviews I read about them except that many complained that they were hired only to find that they got very little actual work. I believe there's a lot of competition among their teachers to get and retain students and a lot of turnover among teachers.

I also checked into and interviewed with some other similar employers ... almost all located in China. I got quick job offers, but declined after I read their contracts. The big concern for me was that they promise a certain pay rate but in reality there are catches. For instance, many require teachers to pay a pricey wiring fee (I believe around 30 percent of their paycheck) to get their pay wired to the US. Several penalize teachers and dock their pay for any number of reasons. Teachers' pay and assignments are often contingent on student reviews. They also have strict attendance requirements for teachers. Since the companies are overseas, our US laws do not apply. If you are cheated, you have no recourse. So you need to be very careful who you sign up with. Read all the fine print before you sign anything.

I'd like to hear what you discover. I know more and more of these online teaching outfits are cropping up every day.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-19-2019 at 02:04 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Most don't charge a wiring fee
Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Most of the Online ESL Teaching Companies that I know of, don't charge their teachers a wiring fee to get paid. They mainly pay by Direct Deposit, Paypal, or Payoneer. The one who charges a fee is Paypal. They charge a International Transfer Fee (about 4%), to receive money in the USA from someone in China. Many Online ESL Companies cover the Paypal fee, not the teacher. I've never even once had to pay a fee to get paid from the Online ESL Teaching companies that I work for.

luv2teach2017

Old 05-20-2019, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes it is PayPal. But when I checked into it ...about. 3 years ago...the fee was around 30 percent and all those I applied with required the teachers to pay the fee.. VIPKIDS was the only one I found that didn't.. Maybe things have changed. But it's something to be aware of and ask about up front. I only found out by reading the contracts. However, that aside. I read lots of reviews about these companies that complained about pay being docked, lack of work assignments, severe policies regarding student feedback and teacher evaluations, etc. As I said, our US laws don't apply to overseas companies. So be.careful.Just saying.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Policies vary between Online ESL Companies
Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As far as Teachers being docked, it's likely for cancelling a class at the last minute, or for not showing up and not cancelling. But just like with any other job, if you're scheduled to work and don't show up there is usually some type of consequence. Some companies have more severe consequences than others, and VIPKid is one of the Online ESL Companies that is more strict when it comes to both. They charge a fee (about $10) for every class that's cancelled at the last minute. And they only allow about 6 cancellations within a 6 month period, before your contract is terminated. To me that's extreme, and one of the reasons I chose not to apply to work for them. And VIPKid lets the parents choose the teacher, so classes aren't guaranteed. A teacher could go weeks, or even months with no classes scheduled. It's totally up to parents choosing you, as to whether or not you get to teach any classes. Some Teachers are successful getting bookings, and some aren't.

But there are also many Online ESL Companies who assign students to the teachers, and don't let the parents choose the teacher. Those are the companies you can expect to give you bookings/classes, on a regular basis (except when it's slow around Chinese Holidays). And they usually also guarantee a base pay per class, and ways to earn bonuses. I work for 2 Online ESL Companies, one company assigns students to the teacher, and the other lets the parents choose the teacher. I definitely get a lot more bookings with the company that doesn't let the parents choose the teacher.

There is a lot of misinformation about Online ESL Teaching Companies, among people who don't work in the Industry. And unfortunately it's making a lot of people miss out on a very good opportunity, because they don't know the facts. I reviewed over 100 Online ESL Companies before choosing the ones I work for. There are some great Online ESL Companies out there, but there are also some that should be avoided.

Last edited by Sub14; 05-20-2019 at 08:52 AM..

lovetosub

Thank you for your help
Old 05-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sub14, thank you so much for your information. Iíve looked further into it, and it does not seem like my cup of tea.