Help

Kindergarten

help with transitions!

>

jcm

help with transitions!
Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students are very loud and get silly during transitions. I am getting very frustrated! I am a veteran teacher and all my "tricks" haven't worked with this tough group! Any good suggestions or routines that help your classroom run smoothly?

jcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start out the year by giving a "glitter grape" to every kid who is on task. They quickly figure out why the kid next to them got a treat and s/he didn't, and adjust accordingly. I then do it intermittently, so they don't know if they HAVE to be on task or not and stay on task JUST IN CASE I'm rewarding. It works.

Glitter grapes are just grapes I wash, cut in half, sprinkle with sugar free Jello powder, and then freeze on a jelly roll pan. I have to do something different for kids who can't have Jello.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know it's not the "right" thing to do, but at this point in the year I'm never above bribery.

I do have some individual and whole class incentives/rewards I use when we have things that need a lot of work. I wean them off of it as the year goes on, but I always find that in the spring it's useful to pull them out again.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

ClassDojo.com
Old 05-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had to resort to using this online behavior program with my tough group, and I have to admit, it works beautifully. I keep the screen on a tab behind another one, https://classroomscreen.com/.

I give little rewards when they reach certain benchmarks, like changing their "monster" when they get 100 points. I looked in my closet and am giving random school supplies as prizes- pens and highlighters, and they act like I'm giving them gold. The big ticket item are those glass rocks you put in vases- I told them they are "calming stones" and they are so motivated to collect them. It cracks me up!

Good luck- almost there! I set very clear expectations for transistions, made a chart with them, and practiced. A lot. I have first grade.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

jcm

Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for your idea! I opened your link to classroom screen.com, but I couldn't find how to make a behavior chart on it. Is It Class dojo? I was confused by the classroom screen. Thanks!

jcm

Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've never used dojo. is it easy to use?

Munchkins

Class dojo
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, I find it easy to use. The classroom screen is not a behavior chart but has neat things on it. I keep it open on a tab when I do t want them distracted by how many dojo points they have. It really does work.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

Classroomscreen.com
Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

LOVE it! I am also going to use class dojo for the next few weeks to get through. My class is very difficult. Young emotionally and socially. This will get me through!

Thank you
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote