Help

Substitute Teachers

Fillers

>

broad

Fillers
Old 05-18-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A friend of mine just became a sub and has no actual teaching experience. She asked me for some fillers for transition times etc. for 1st Grade. I've decided I'm going to type up a list and maybe post it here? I have a few good ideas and activities that have been successful. Also good ideas when there are no lessons plans! We could all write a book: Fillers for First Graders - just kidding but maybe not!

broad is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

free stuff
Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a former sub and now teacher, I am a fan of things that do not cost or have any prep. Tell your friend to compile of things she can google stuff the kids can use with their own paper and supplies. If she doesn't have access to a classroom computer, she can probably use her phone. Nothing to copy and carry around. If she uses her phone, she can use them anywhere. That is really handy at times when you just need to fill a few minutes, waiting in line...that sort of thing.

There are some things that are good at any level:
journal prompts-if you could go anywhere,
sentence/story starters-
current events at their level
trivia-about anything and everything
clean jokes--yes, even the big kids
personal interest--my favorite book/tv show/movie/song/food
mental math/math facts
easy classroom games

It is tempting to have a sub bag with "stuff" in it at the beginning but keeping it age appropriate, fresh, stocked, making copies, hauling it around, all that adds up to be a headache.

good luck.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love your advice Goodenough. The bag idea would tend to get giant!

I always had in my mind that for any grade level, in an emergency, you can grab a book and do activities with it. Read, write, write the next chapter/write a skit to share *main idea, lesson taught, favorite scene..*

For most grades if you had flash cards, that is a good thing to do with students while waiting for anything. I would guess that there are lots of apps for flash cards. Flash cards for time would be good, too. Younger kids can tell you to the nearest hour, quarter hour. Minutes to or after the next hour for middle grades, and time between 2 cards for older kids.

Some of those abc games are good for short times. "I am going on a vacation and I am taking an apple" I have sets of those cards for "Everything your 3rd grader Should Know" that my kids love doing. They have those at every level.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Maybe I've been lucky...
Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I find that I rarely need fillers... and often the regular teacher will leave one or two anyway--or make suggestions in the lesson plan. I gave up carrying physical material a long time ago. We can always do "brain breaks" or things like "free draw," "free read" and "free write" (using prompts if necessary). Older kids often have homework or projects they can work on. Once when we finished a current events unit early (sixth grade) I set up an impromptu debate on the issue we just studied. With littles we sometimes sit in a circle and just "talk" while learning social and conversational skills.

My two cents on this is to be extremely cautious when using "outside" printed material--particularly any material that might end up going home with the students. I know one district that has a policy that all take-home material must be reviewed by admin! (Once burned, twice careful is the unstated theme in that district.) In addition to hypersensitivity on the part of some parents, there are copyright issues, etc. I'm truly not trying to be a "downer" but we work in a strange but very real world where what we think are small things can become huge. Recently a third-grader brought a word search he'd been working on to me... and pointed out he found the word "ass" in it. (I did not provide it, thankfully.) Yep, I know a few parents that would be calling the school board over that one.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote
sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you enjoy it and are good at it, I don't think anything beats reading them a book. You can usually find one in the room or, if you have time, get one from the library. That way you don't need to worry about whether anyone will object to your choice. I have occasionally, when I'm doing a multi-day job, brought a book and gotten it approved by administration. That has been when I happened to have one on hand that I thought would go well with something they're already doing.

If you have access to YouTube and a smartboard, The Singing Walrus has lots of singing activities that reinforce basic concepts like counting, skip counting, shapes, calendar, plus brain breaks.