Help

Kindergarten

Changes

>

LaFish

Changes
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I the year ends and I start to put things away, I noticed how many changes we had during the past few years. Of course, I still have my sand table and house center. But we have so many more worksheets and workbooks! Our textbook coordinator delivered over 4 workbooks per child for next year!

Do you feel like kindergarten is now pre-first grade? What changes did you like/didnít like?

Our administration and teachers does believe in the power of play. At the same time we are being told to do more of these innovative programs.

I will be retiring soon. It just makes me sad to see these unpopular changes happening.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our kindergartens are for sure the old first grade. We have no sand table, house center, block center or anything. They have to read at a level D and do adding and subtracting by the end of the year. I was not even introduced to reading or addition until first grade. Kindergarten was stories, play and social skills. I don't like these changes at all. I think we need more play and social skills in kindergarten. I think we can have a balance of academics and play. I know the requirement to read is not going to go away but I wish we could be more developmentally appropriate about how we teach kindergarten. Workbooks and worksheets are not the best way to teach little ones. My P does not even want us to use play dough in kindergarten. I think she sees it as play even though we do academic things like making sight words with the play dough. You are lucky your admin is on board with the power of play.
onion girl is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kinders are doing more now than my firsties did 20 years ago I keep pushing back, but no one cares. My mantra is "just because they can doesn't mean they should." Sure I can push them to these academic goals they set. But they are missing out on soooooo many important developmental steps along the way. And those who can't yet are being labeled as struggling when they are really doing just fine. It's not like I'm just making this stuff up! There is research that says we are harming kids with this crap
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
My mantra is "just because they can doesn't mean they should." Sure I can push them to these academic goals they set. But they are missing out on soooooo many important developmental steps along the way.
YES!! Or just because some can doesn't mean they all should be expected to. We don't expect all kids to walk by a certain date, or talk by a certain date, why should they be expected to read by a certain date? And what really gets me is when we constantly hear about behavior problems, both in kinder and up the pipeline. Gee - maybe if they had the time to learn and practice those social emotional skills, and maybe if the curriculum was developmentally appropriate, then there wouldn't be so many behavior issues!

Quote:
And those who can't yet are being labeled as struggling when they are really doing just fine.
Oh my gosh - I seem to have this argument with some of my team members every year. I swear it comes up at every report card. I look at my kids that I think are low, and in reality they are right where they should be in terms of kinder standards (which are high). I truly don't have any academic expectations of kids coming in to kinder, but then some of them are labeled as low right out of the gate. It's so frustrating. But I will keep on fighting and pushing for as long as it takes.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

And to follow through
Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it shows up later in 2nd-12th grade when they don't know how to follow rules or take turns or ... whatever.

We have middle schoolers who still engage in parallel play because they never learned to play well together. I'll go one further and say that I think a lot of the appeal of video games is that it is one BIG session of parallel play. They are playing together but separately. They are playing together but not required to interact really. Or they can choose how much and when to interact.

And let's not even get into the Narcissism... The Me First attitude KILLS me. That is a critical skill worked on in Kindergarten. Teacher loves you but Timmy raised his hand first. Teacher is here for you but also these other students too. The kids aren't getting this now.

We teachers in the upper grades definitely see the results of those changes.

GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been teaching for 36 years-all but 3 years in kindergarten and first grade. I definitely agree that one of the reasons we are observing the rise in behavior issues and more academic referrals throughout the grade levels is related to demanding students to do things that they are not developmentally-ready to do starting in kindergarten.

(Helicopter and lawnmower parents have a role, too. When those type of parents always protect their child, never allow the child to experience the struggle or the consequence, never tell the child "No" or never allow the child to fail or lose a game, the child doesn't develop coping skills or have the strategies he/she needs when dealing with the world and the child doesn't learn to persevere when things get tough. Those well-meaning, loving parents think they are building a positive self-esteem, but it has the opposite effect.)

I am fortunate that I still have free-choice time and play built into my schedule-though it is less than I would like and I still have my kitchen center, blocks, science/exploration and sand table. A while ago, there was a big push to remove those centers, along with unstructured play, from the kindergarten classrooms. I didn't. (I think that happened when Common Core was adopted.) Many school districts took play out of the kindergarten classrooms altogether. It makes me so sad when I hear that.

It just makes no sense to me. If research shows that this age group learns best through play and exploration, then why do the people who make the decisions try to remove it?

Yes, over the years I've witnessed the changes and what is now kindergarten used to be considered first grade. We went from a half-day kindergarten program that was mostly play to a full-day program that is mostly academic with some play.

There has been a big push down movement. It feels like the mentality is "If there was something that was wrong at the high school level, someone decided the way to fix it was to add more for kindergarten to do," but I am starting to hear rumblings of the push up movement. I think some of the higher ups are finally starting to understand that K-2 are important years for building a strong foundation for future learning, for learning social emotional skills and developing language skills.

It is a choice. We can continue to spend a lot of time and energy demanding our younger students do things before they are developmentally-ready and before they have the social skills and language skills needed to do them, or we can focus on building a strong foundation and on developing social emotional skills, language skills and perseverance in K-2nd grades, so our students will have the confidence, skills, and coping strategies needed to be better able to handle the demands put on them in the upper grades.

Quote:
YES!! Or just because some can doesn't mean they all should be expected to. We don't expect all kids to walk by a certain date, or talk by a certain date, why should they be expected to read by a certain date? And what really gets me is when we constantly hear about behavior problems, both in kinder and up the pipeline. Gee - maybe if they had the time to learn and practice those social emotional skills, and maybe if the curriculum was developmentally appropriate, then there wouldn't be so many behavior issues!
I totally agree.

My dream is that all the K teachers would take a stand and say, "Enough! We are not going to do it anymore. Bring play, choice and exploration back into the kindergarten classrooms. Make the curriculum developmentally-appropriate. Allow flexibility in the schedule." We are not asking to dumb down the curriculum-just make it developmentally-appropriate. We will still be able to challenge and meet the needs of our advanced, more mature students because K teachers are champions at differentiation.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote