Help

Kindergarten

Classroom Library

>

ICrazyTeach

Classroom Library
Old 08-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have tons of books. Way too many. I have serious book hoarding issues.
I need to reorganize them. Right now I have probably half organized by reading level. I have 2 shelves that aren't organized at all. One is just hardback fiction and the other paperback fiction. The rest are organized by broad topics (animals, space, counting books, characters, etc). I want to move towards organization by genre/topic. What do you do? I'm having a hard time deciding how to sort.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Classroom Library
Old 08-05-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have my books sorted by topic or genre.

I suggest physically sorting . through each book to determine the topic so you will know which topic book bins you need to create.

You can created several book bins of the same genre if you have too many books to fit in one bin

I have have the following bins.

��Animal fiction (2 bins) ��Animal nonfiction (2 bins) ��Science (3 bins) �� Holidays ��Social studies (2 bins) ��Teacher’s favorites
��People (nonfiction) ��Math. ��Food
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-05-2019, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mine are sorted by topic. And then I have books that go with our theme or unit of study completely separate (they only come out during that unit). I also have some bins sorted by reading level because we start a take-home book program in January, but they only go up to level 6 or so.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-05-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have too many books as well! I have sorted some of my books by topic into monthly sections and I switch them out every month. These are the ones I use for read alouds & are more geared toward our curriculum and themes we have. And typically are most of my favorites.

The rest of the books are sorted into 3 seasonal tubs. I switch these out about every 3 months. These are books that I either inherited or ones I had that I don't tend to read aloud as much.

We also have a lot of little easy readers that go with our reading series that kids have access to all year.

Like I said, too many books! (But a good problem to have.)
VivianCP is online now   Reply With Quote

DRV

I cleaned out books today
Old 08-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My classroom library was organized by topic. Each bin had a label with a picture and title (ex- sea life). Each book then had a matching label. The students always had a hard time putting the books back where they belonged. I was tired of managing it. This year I decided to try something different. I purged a lot of books! I will have three library sections: Some books will not be organized. They will be in the open browsing section. Then I will also have an organized section that is sorted by reading level. Finally, I have my bags of buddy books (books with more than one copy for kids to read together.)

DRV is offline   Reply With Quote