Help

Special Education

Para questions

>

checkerjane

Para questions
Old 08-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím getting another para for the kiddo who has ďthatĒ mom. Thank goodness, my principal acted like it was a no brainer after she read his IEP.

The kiddo will go to ABA therapy two days a week, so what should I have his para do on those days?

I see the obvious copying, grading, etc. Honestly, sometimes delegating that stuff is more stressful than doing it myself. Not because I donít think they could handle it, but because I have to get it organized enough for someone to understand my method (madness).

Good news on the ďthatĒ mom post, though! We had an informal get to know meeting today, and it went really well. Iím cautiously optimistic about the situation.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I missed your first post, but Iím assuming that youíre going to need a lot of hands-on kinds of tasks for him?? If so, have things ready for her to print,laminate, cut out and Velcro. My para spend a lot of time doing that!

If the para is not familiar with his disability, you could also have her spend some of that time doing online professional development.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-07-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I’m assuming that you’re going to need a lot of hands-on kinds of tasks for him?? If so, have things ready for her to print,laminate, cut out and Velcro. My para spend a lot of time doing that!
This is what I was thinking too. I can relate to this:
Quote:
I see the obvious copying, grading, etc. Honestly, sometimes delegating that stuff is more stressful than doing it myself. Not because I don’t think they could handle it, but because I have to get it organized enough for someone to understand my method (madness).
I don't plan very far ahead, and 99% of the time it's just faster for me to do my own copying and prepping materials than trying to explain it to someone else. However, I think you could plan farther ahead with activities for a severe needs kiddo- obviously he's going to need to work on the same skills for a really long time and some of that hands on stuff takes awhile to make. It might be worthwhile to show her how to make a few things and then she can replicate it.

My other thought was using her for extra time for your other students. If you're allowed to have her pull kids out for extra time (we used to be able to, not anymore) have her spend a few minutes 1:1 with other kids working on things like individual sight word lists, letter name/sound practice for younger students, or reading word lists focused on whatever phonics patterns you're working on.

If she's not allowed to pull kids out, have her push in and help with classwork. Writing is typically a time that kids struggle and a lot of kids would benefit from someone just helping them through an assignment. Even in a whole group situation, I bet you have some kids who could use some reinforcement with behavior.

You could also have her stay and help you with your groups. Back in the day when it was just me and my para all day in my room, I would have her help me with differentiation. Sometimes she did alternate tasks with kids who were lower or higher with the group, and sometimes she pulled kids from my table who needed 1:1 support with even whatever assignment we were working on in sped. I also had her do some 1:1 progress monitoring assessments, or if it was something more complicated I gave the kids an assignment that she monitored while I assessed 1:1.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-08-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the ideas!
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote