Help

BusyBoard

Tic Disorder

>

Teacherbee_4

Tic Disorder
Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever had a student with a diagnosed Tic Disorder? Is there anything you can tell me about it in terms of what to expect, what to do, etc.? I'm sure I'll be briefed, but with teachers not starting for another week or so, I'd like to have some background information going into it all. Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 08-08-2019, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a sixth grader once with tics. Overall she seemed pretty normal and was well liked by her classmates. When she was stressed or nervous or overly tired her tics appeared. Her mom told me she could swear uncontrollably, but I only ever heard her do that once and luckily no one else was around. Mostly she would make some sounds kinda under her breath and had a facial/head movement from time to time. It really never affected her in my class too much. The one thing her mom suggested was not calling on her unless she raised her hand to volunteer. That pressure of having to speak up involuntarily could set her off.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Link to resources
Old 08-08-2019, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The Tourette Association has some good information.

I once knew a family with several children who had Tourette's. One thing I remember is that children can sometimes suppress their tics temporarily, but that the effort will likely prevent them from doing much of anything else at the same time--such as listen to the teacher, work a math problem, etc. It may be better to simply let the tic out--either in the classroom or in a safe space the child can go to when necessary.

https://tourette.org/resources/overv...room-ts-child/

I wish you and your student well.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My son has Tourettes. One thing to keep in mind is that it is a spectrum disorder-so dont think that what you have seen on TV is what you are going to get i the classroom. Every child presents a little differently and they may fall anywhere on the spectrum of mild to moderate to severe.

Tourettes-by definition and diagnostic criteria-waxes and wanes. So just becuase they aren't ticcing today or only ticced a little for a whole week or a whole moth, doesnt mean that when it increases they are doing it on purpose. Sometimes my son who have no tics for a month-then blam. Also dont think that the kids is faking his ticcs to get out of hard work-if the work is hard it causes stress and stress can trigger ticcing.

I also like to remind his teachers that tourettes is an iceberg diagnosis. The tip is what you see-there is a whole lot more that they may be dealing with that is below the water-where you cant see. I always gave his teachers a print out of the iceberg to keep around to remind them. I'll attach it below.

The most important tip though it-Dont ask them to try and stop. Either they cant and you will frustrate them into ticcing more, or the will be able to hold them in for little while only to have them explode later-often to the point that is so stressful and may even cause muscle strain or head aches for the child so its not worth it.

I'd suggest the link above in addition to that here are some specific articles
https://tourette.org/resource/unders...ette-syndrome/

http://www.parentcenterhub.org/wp-co...echniques1.pdf

here is one about dealing with disruptive vocal tics-I dont have much experience with this-my son had annoying vocal tics but nothing terribly disruptive.I was always worried that one would pop up one day though.
http://tsa-gnys.org/understanding-an...the-classroom/

Also the HBO documentary "I Have Tourettes, but Tourette's Doesnt Have Me" is good if you have HBO.

MY fav feel good Tourette's movie though-Front of the Class-based on a true story.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tic disorder/kindercr4zy
Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wish I knew this when I was teaching. I had a child with severe neck twitches. No one in my district seemed to know (or care, IMHO) about it. His parents weren’t a lot of help, either. I did my best to be supportive and understanding.

For me, I would highly suggest informing the class about child’s tics. I say this because I had a PITA child the same year who one time imitated child with tics right in front of him. It was not my best moment because I ripped into pita child. (He is a whole other story. This was the straw that broke the camels back.)

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks, everyone. This was very helpful. I appreciate it!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you want to watch a low quality version of Front of the Class with Chinese subtitles Its on YouTube and it very inspiring if you have a disabled child (especially one with Tourettes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abQG3zBT0fY
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote