Help

BusyBoard

Help! Fast? Middle School to K-1

>

Sprite

Help! Fast? Middle School to K-1
Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I applied for a K-1 special education position in my district. It would be at a different school but I would be teaching pretty much the same thing. Self-contained special education for K-1 students. Right now I teach middle school reading and writing.

I am SOOOO torn. I have no idea what to do. I would like to take the position but I am afraid. I guess I am afraid of the unknown. Afraid of doing something different.

I did teach K-2 about 4 years ago for 2 years. My student teaching was in a 1st grade room. I'd have a paraprofessional and 6-8 kiddos.

Any advice? Help? Tips? Words of wisdom?

TIA

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Well...
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Change is definitely hard, BUT change is also rejuvenating and exciting! (At least it is to me. )

I just left a district after 25 years (24 years in the classroom), and I'm super excited about the changes that are happening. Is it scary? Yep, because I lost all my seniority and all the sick days I had accumulated. However, I really think I'm going to love my new district.

First of all, think about why you applied to that position in the first place. Something in you was ready for a change, otherwise you wouldn't have applied.

Second, did you enjoy teaching the younger kids before? Did you enjoy training them (and a lot of times, the parents) in how to BE at school and how to act, along with the basics?

Lastly, think about where this fear is coming from. Is it just because it's unknown? The risk? If you go to this position, will you be truly happy?

I have a number of different quotes that I love. Here are two of them by Leo Buscaglia:

“Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

"The person who risks nothing does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and life."

Risks and changes can be super exciting and really energizing!! Don't let them scare you!

Have you weighed the pros and cons?

Good luck with your decision!!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Think carefully about which age group you prefer. There's a huge difference between little ones who are first beginning to do things independently from their parents and middle schoolers who have been out of their parents' gaze for years.

Parents are different too. The parents of the little ones are more likely to hover and may just be starting to deal with the children's special needs.

Also you will have to develop a whole new curriculum, lesson plans, materials, etc. for the new group, rather than being able to reuse much of what you already have.

Different school, so different colleagues, different principal, different classroom, different location.

Lots to think about. I hope whatever you choose goes well.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 08-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both for all of the solid advice.

I did take the job. I am very nervous and very excited. I resigned from my previous position today, accepted the new position and went to visit my new classroom/get my schedule.

I appreciate your advice TAOEP and SassyTeach!
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

You're welcome!
Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm so thrilled that you're taking on this new job! How exciting for you!!

Good luck and keep us updated on how things are going!

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote