Help

BusyBoard

Open house ideas

>

EMO109

Open house ideas
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year was the first year students were invited to attend open house with their parents. In the past, it was more of a curriculum overview with just the parents. The change happened at the last minute and I scrambled to put something together, but I wasn’t really happy with how it turned out. This year, I’m trying to plan ahead and put together some better ideas.

It’s scheduled for 3 weeks into school, so I don’t need to do anything with supplies or back to school forms, since that will already be taken care of. So far the only ideas I have are a parent/child questionnaire (kind of who knows each other best) and to have the students show their families work that will be hanging around the room. I have an hour to fill, so I definitely need some more. This is for 4th grade.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by EMO109; 08-12-2019 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Forgot grade level
EMO109 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Open house
Old 08-12-2019, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To me, this sounds like it is back to school,night, not an open house to celebrate a year’s worth of work.

I would continue focusing on curriculum, grading policies, and behavior management. That way both parents and children have heard it right from your mouth.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 08-12-2019, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My former elementary school used to have a parent-student event in late January, so my teammate and I used the event to create a display for February. We taught a quick lesson on haiku and then had the parents and their student write a poem together. The student penciled the poem onto pre-cut hearts printed with writing lines and glued that to a larger construction-paper heart. Finally, the parents and their student used pre-cut pieces of tissue paper to decorate the border. This was 3rd, and we had about 45 minutes to fill. If you wanted to riff on this idea, maybe have parents/students write poems about autumn and create a display of falling leaves.
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Goal for the year
Old 08-12-2019, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Would you have a wall you could have the parents and students write what their goal for the year would be? You could then display them for the year. You could maybe provide them with and index card to use for this.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Some Ideas
Old 08-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Maybe have some type of scavenger hunt for students to do with their parents or tour of the classroom. You could have students create short videos to explain what they do for that subject, how they use the manipulatives/materials in that area or even to explain the work you have displayed. You could use QR codes. Send home a note ahead of time so parents can add QR code reader to their phones or have a few iPads.

Another idea is to create a flipgrid with your students. Decide on a question(s) and have students answer. Have a technology station set up for students to visit with their parents and have parents respond to the question and responses, too.

Maybe have stations set up in your classroom for the different subject areas you teach that parents can rotate through with their child. Have the standards posted and curriculum materials, along with some photos of some past activities and projects. Plus, have some type of interactive activity for the parents to do with their child. Have one of the stations be a Meet the Teacher station where you are available to meet parents briefly. You might post some interesting facts about yourself-where you graduated from, your degree and teaching experience...the best way/times to contact you, and only share personal info like photo of family, name of pet if you are comfortable with it. *Make sure that parents understand that it is not a parent/teacher conference time-some will try to turn it into that.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Interview
Old 08-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have students interview their parents about their fourth grade experience. Parents can help students write the answers.

Then the next day, have students write an essay about his/her parents fourth grade experience...or make a VENN diagram about his/her parents fourth grade experience compared/contrasted with the child fourth grade experience.

I am attaching an interview form I used in third grade. There are probably too many questions, but you can use it as a model to make your own.
Attached Files
File Type: doc third grade interview.doc (27.5 KB, 11 views)
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Great ideas
Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The PP have made some great suggestions.
I always provided paper and asked - read assigned,- the parents to write a note of encouragement to hide in their child's desk.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote