Help

Substitute Teachers

Welcome back/Welcome new subs/roll call

>

mooba1

Welcome back/Welcome new subs/roll call
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey, fellow subs! I see that the board is starting to become active again, so I wanted to welcome everyone back for another school year. Itís so nice to see familiar names popping up, and I also look forward to seeing new ones.

As much as I enjoy the kids (mostly) and the teachers, this board is where I come to read/post/vent, because everyone here ďgets itĒ. Nice to have a place where we can let our hair down, so to speak.

Mooba here, subbing only for elementary. This is my 8th year of subbing after 30 years of teaching. Whoís old? Not me!!!

mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 08-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Retired after 27 years, subbing 5 years. Miss that teacher check, some coworkers and some students. Love the flexibility of subbing day to day. Also thankful to be able to vent here
Have a great year
elepen is online now   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Change of pace
Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I left my previous field, I just needed a break. I didn't set out to stay working as a sub (8?) years ago, but it has worked pretty well for me. I also do some work-from-home projects, so the flexibility of both keeps me busy without dealing with the drama and commitment problems of fulltime work. Also, next month I will be a grandma (times two!), so setting my own schedule is the main draw for me.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Welcome back
Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi mooba1.

My school year doesn't start until the first week of September. For the time being I'm laying low and helping out my family.

I must say I'm not mentally prepared to return. I need to watch some videos or something to remind me how to teach. Lol.

Summer really throws things off balance, I must say.

I wish everyone the best of luck. Our jobs aren't always easy, that's for certain!
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 08-13-2019, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hello for another year. School starts Monday, roving sub job to help teachers with first week situations.
Three main rules I follow-
1.Don't walk backwards in class - 2. Be early, 3.Have an extra pair of glasses. (school type is getting smaller for me)
Haha, everything else will fall into place.
Oh and my last one- have a good idea of the school and class before accepting the assignment.
I hope to remember all of the above.

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 08-13-2019, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Into my 4th year subbing now. I start back Monday. Looking forward to it. It's been a stressful summer taking care of home repairs (ugh!) and I'm really ready to get back in the classroom. I've missed being around the little ones!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 08-14-2019 at 05:59 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Roll Call
Old 08-14-2019, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What a great thread!

Subbing is my "3rd career". I spent several years in banking, then several as a SAHM. I started subbing occasionally when my son was in elementary, and he'll be off to college this year!

We start back the first week of September here, and I'm hoping to sub a couple of days a week, mostly preschool and lower elementary. I also spend a couple of mornings a week with my little niece and nephew.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Hi!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just signed up again. I keep saying that this is my last year, but I love being able to teach and not have all the other responsibilities. Probably won't take any jobs until after Labor day since I'm limited to 120 days a year as a retired teacher. I am just beginning my fifth year of subbing AND retirement.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ohana

Back as a soon to be para
Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I thought I'd be subbing this year but I just can't go on with the low pay. Really good experience though.
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Can you come back if you never left?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Feeling playful this morning, I guess.

Starting my eleventh year... and still looking forward to being at school with the kids. I see at lot of them throughout the summer, always ask about summer reading and if they're ready to go back. We had a short summer this year, weather-wise, so many are saying they are not but many admit they are.

I'll continue to focus on elementary and middle school, get called for all the tough jobs and half-days, and do high school if and when I'm needed.

Can't resist one story... ran into a student a couple of weeks ago... I think she's going into third grade. She came running and grabbed me around the legs. She was literally gushing--"Mr. B I haven't seen you in such a long time! It's been ages" I miss you so much! Where have you been?!" I've decided I'm going to be that enthusiastic when I see the kids for the first time.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

first day today
Old 08-23-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I got my first day of the year today, it was nice. I drive a truck nationwide to pay for my subbing habit, so I only usually get to sub one day a week, and the summer was way too long! I drove all night, subbed half a day, and now I'm back to the truck for my sleeper shift, I hope to get a day next week. I saw a kiddo I've subbed for for four years across two districts, and scores of kiddos from previous years so it was a good day!

hope everybody has as good a day as I did!, thanks for what y'all do for the kiddos
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

and a former kiddo
Old 08-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My wife and I also had dinner tonight with a former student who graduated last year, he just became a Marine last week, and is home for two weeks before his schooling back in san diego. it's always awesome to see the kids you care about growing into amazing adults
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

Welcome back!
Old 08-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

School doesnít start back until the middle of next week here. Iíve got a few jobs booked for the middle of September. Come December Iíll be starting my 22nd year of subbing.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote