Help

The VENT

Serious Question

>

Peaches250

Serious Question
Old 12-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How are we supposed to teach in between all of the assessments?

My district does benchmarks every 9 weeks. It is almost as serious as the state test at the end of the year and last for a week. Then we have 4.5, which is the benchmarks between the benchmarks. Again another week. We also have class assessments that are required to show growth. Let's not forget the end of the year test. Not to mention the data collection that I am required to do on my sped students.

Yes, I do lose the instructional time here because as a sped teacher I have to pull multiple groups to meet accommodations for each content area.

Had a meeting today. Now the teachers are going to have to write the 4.5 or CFAs as they will soon be called.

I just want to teach! I heard a saying...why are we weighing the pig before we feed it. Quit weighing my students if you are not going to allow me to feed my students knowledge and content!!!!

Sorry, rant over.

Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This among other things is what makes our educational system dysfunctional.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

CFAs
Old 12-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My school has been doing CFAs for a few years now. AND CSAs. (Common Formative and Summative assessments). Our middle school weights grades as 80% summative and 20% formative. Formative assessments are for school/homework (except for math, homework is nearly 100% classwork that was not finished in school), some quizzes, bellwork, etc. Summatives are the end of chapter/unit tests, projects, final essays, etc. It was a pain for the first year to make sure all were using the same types of assignments, but now the students ARE benefitting.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

I'm with you
Old 12-05-2017, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have nicknamed our computer lab to the testing lab because we never get to do anything but test in there. At our last staff meeting our principal (who I usually adore) enthusiastically told us how the district has added two more computer assessment programs. Meanwhile, I am already behind in getting my kids finished with the latest one.

As I said to one of my colleagues this week: I know the data is supposed to drive instruction, but that only works when I have time to do the instruction.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

Old 12-06-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am okay with some testing. I understand that it is necessary. My beef is the amount of testing we are doing! It has truly gotten out of control. We do not have time to teach before the test rolls around again.

It is actually pretty disheartening. The students are tired of all the testing and do not even try any more. The ones that do try are so stressed about it, they cry. Or like my own DD shows signs of anxiety over it. She actually pulled her hair out! Literally.

The only accountability to most of these test are on the teacher. It is just a sad state for my district.

Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

No More Tears
Old 12-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My special ed. students were usually functioning several years below grade and had to take the tests designated for the grade level in which they were enrolled. Well, you can imagine the amount of stress and uncooperative behaviors that this caused during the official testing period that lasted 3-4 days. Behind closed doors, I would try to coax students to look over the test questions and at least try to answer the few that they could read (which was often none on some of the subtests). After a few minutes of this "testing", I had the students randomly bubble in the rest of the test so that we could not be accused of not completing the test (this would have resulted in doing a re-test). This is how I fulfilled the testing requirements for my special ed. students without tears. Never had any problem with administrators.

Ucan

No More Tears
Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My special ed. students were usually functioning several years below grade and had to take the tests designated for the grade level in which they were enrolled. Well, you can imagine the amount of stress and uncooperative behaviors that this caused during the official testing period that lasted 3-4 days. Behind closed doors, I would try to coax students to look over the test questions and at least try to answer the few that they could read (which was often none on some of the subtests). After a few minutes of this "testing", I had the students randomly bubble in the rest of the test so that we could not be accused of not completing the test (this would have resulted in doing a re-test). This is how I fulfilled the testing requirements for my special ed. students without tears. Never had any problem with administrators.