BusyBoard

Are Our Students Tough Enough?

>

Ucan

Are Our Students Tough Enough?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are Our Kids Tough Enough? Chinese School

This video series shows a fascinating experiment in which five Chinese teachers attempt to implement Chinese teaching methods at a top high school in the U.K. This brief study of comparative education not only illuminates major differences in teaching practices between the two countries, but also reveals differences in learning outcomes. (Note: Parts 2 and 3 feature the same introduction shown in Part 1 and can be skipped by using the slider at the bottom of the screen).

Please share your reaction to the video(s) that have application to K-12 education in the U.S. as well.

Part 1: 1 hour:15 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzV2U_npIws

Part 2: 1:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieFn0RkYstQ

Part 3: 1:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLFTdHkROtY

These would be good videos to show to disruptive, out-of-control students like the ones who trashed the classroom recently reported in The Vent.

Last edited by Ucan; 12-09-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am only partially (52min) through the 1st video, and I honestly am finding it fascinating. However, I am truly embarrassed by the behavior of the students. I can imagine that if this experiment was done in 95% of our schools, that it would be even worse. I am not sure that allowing our youngster to grow up believing that behaving so disrespectfully makes them better adults. Is there a reason why we allow our kids to feel that they are above the rules and that they do not have to act respectfully anymore?

Saying that, I don't believe that the Chinese way is 100% the way to go, but there has to be a middle ground, and I don't think we can get there by allowing students to be so openly rude. We have gotten so turned around that it is now 100% on the teacher to make lessons so "engaging" that students attend, try, and learn. That isn't right. And it is killing our education system.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Upside-Down and Backwards
Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm glad you decided to take a peek at the videos. I don't recall which part it's in, but there's a comment made by one of the Chinese teachers that resonated with me. She mentioned that from kindergarten through college, students are reminded that everything they achieve in school is for the betterment of their country. Under this nationalistic imperative, everyone has an obligation to contribute to making China great by excelling in school. Unlike many other countries including the U.S., in China the mantra is "one for all". For me, the videos clearly show the result of a progressive culture that over-emphasizes the importance of the individual at the expense of the national good. From what I've read, the U.S. is not alone in having a declining education system - New Zealand, England, Ireland, and Australia are all having similar problems.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

China is a communist country.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You do realize this, yes? Yes, the mantra is "one for all", but that is because people there are indoctrinated from birth by the tenents of communisim.
Just as a refresher, these are:

Central banking system
Government controlled education
Government controlled labor
Government ownership of transportation and communication vehicles
Government ownership of agricultural means and factories
Total abolition of private property
Property rights confiscation
Heavy income tax on everyone
Elimination of rights of inheritance
Regional planning

You absolutely CANNOT compare Chinese education/teaching with that of the Western world.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Miss Agnes, did you watch any of the videos?

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote