Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Graves Disease

>

urbandweller

Graves Disease
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I went to my Dr. last month and he said that based on the symptoms that I was seeing, he thinks I have Hashimoto Disease. Well as I did my own research I didn't really think that I had Hashi. I even posted here asking questions. I lost weight and with Hashi there is weight gain. Anyway I went and had a Thyriod scan a few weeks ago and the scan showed that I have Graves Disease.

So now I am researching again and this seems to fit more. I am just wondering if there is anyone out there that has Graves and if they do can you give me some imformation.
I saw there is a graves diet out there? Is this a good idea. I lost alot of weight, which I needed to do anyway and now I don't want to put it back on. I am most concern about gaining back the weight. I kinda want to lose some more.

How long do I have to be on Meds? Did you have to take a bata-blocker? If so did you continue the bata-blocker and the thyriod meds?

Is there anything that I should look out for (pit falls)?

Thanks for all the information I know that you all will share with me!

newatprek

Graves' Disease
Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had Graves' Disease and had my thyroid removed in 2005.

Yes...weight gain is a problem. I have gained approximately 80 pounds since then. My thyroid was working 5 times more than it should've been...my levels were 5 times higher than they should've been. My heart rate has more than dropped in half after having my thyroid removed. I was eating approximately 5000 calories a day and still hungry and now I can't lose weight. Had I not had it removed I'm quite certain I'd be dead by now. My other option was taking a radiation pill. We decided against that because I had a 3 year old at the time and I wouldn't have been able to be around her for 3 weeks. I also couldn't stand to put that in my body so we opted for a complete removal.

When I was first diagnosed I was put on two types of medicines. One was a betablocker and I can't remember what the other one was. Now I am only taking synthroid daily.

Yes, I am fatter since having my thyroid removed but I am also a lot healthier. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Good luck...

ColorWonder

Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was diagnosed with Graves and Hyperthyroidism 2.5 years ago. I did the RAI treatment. Going from very hyperthyroid, to very hypothyroid was difficult. During the time it took between diagnosis and my thyroid level returning to normal I gained 10lbs. I have since lost 5 lbs but can loose the other 5 when I keep to a stricter diet. I take levothyroxine daily now.

desert flower

Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also had Graves disease. I learned I had it about a year after my daughter's birth. I also dropped weight quickly, and had heart palpitations. When I went to see an endo. he told me that I had Graves disease, and I was off the chart with it. My option at that point was radio active iodine treatment. Then I became hypoactive and was put on synthroid, and have been on it every since. I also gained about 85 lbs. and have a hard time losing it. This was about 17 years ago. Good luck.

Ima Spedtcher

i have graves
Old 03-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was diagnosed when I was about 21. I did the anti-thyroid meds and beta blockers (the beta blockers were weaned off once I stabilized on the antithyroid meds) for about 5 years.

In a fit of thyroid induced madness (fluctuating thyroid levels really effect my emotions) I did the RAI- I wish I hadnʻt. I am now permanently hypo-thyroid and take synthroid everyday. It isnʻt the end of the world, but in hindsight I think there was more I could have done to stabilize my levels. Now that I no longer have a thyroid gland (or not too much of one) my choices are very limited.

Good luck- having your thyroid messed up is not fun!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My sister in law has it. One night her heart rate was in the mid 200s! She thought she was dying. She was on meds and beta blockers for awhile, but ended up doing the radioactive thing to dissolve her thyroid gland. She is now on Synthroid. She seems to have gained a little weight, but not enough to be real obvious. She is happier having it this way than she was taking the other meds.

Good luck to you and (((HUGS)))

Nancy

urbandweller

diet
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Has anyone's doctor told them about a Thyroid diet. I have sturggled with high cholesterol and really need to control the weight. Plus since i am losing weight i have been eating whatever I want, guess I need to stop that now.