Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone had...

>

UVAgrl928

Anyone had...
Old 04-25-2020, 08:05 PM

New carpet installed lately?

Iím just about done doing the whole main floor Iím bamboo. I go back and forth about whether to do carpet or bamboo upstairs, but realized I have no idea how much carpet costs.

I have no kids or pets, and donít need the fanciest carpet :P

UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-25-2020, 08:23 PM

I had carpet laid a little over a year ago. I live in a condo, top floor, and have to have carpet + thick pad in living room & bedrooms as noise reduction for neighbors. I love hardwood, but find I really like the carpet and am super happy with it. Although prices vary greatly, I believe carpet is usually cheaper than wood.

My contractor recommended a salesperson with Carpeteria. I told her basically what I wanted and she brought samples to my home. I took a pic for you, itís really grey. As I said, I like it a lot.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 04-25-2020, 10:26 PM

I just had carpet installed the other day in my basement. I think getting really good padding is important. I paid $2800 for the carpet in two rooms plus the stairs. I was amazed to find that carpet stores are still open during the pandemic. Loweís and Home Depot were not installing carpets or measuring. I found a small carpet business that was still open.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Be sure to get a good installer.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:46 AM

We had some done at one point by what was supposed to be a reputable company (not big box store). The carpet was fine. The company had contract installers. We did not find the problems until later when we had to have someone come to stretch the carpet in one room because it was wrinkling. They did not lay the carpet with all the nap going in the same direction, and, as a result the seams can be seen and shouldn't be, and we have pocket doors which are (make that were) very seldom used. Were we surprised when we did try to use them; they had not cut out the carpet on the threshold and we cannot use the doors at all. Makes us sound pretty dumb and we were. I'm sure you'll have way better luck; just thought I'd mention those things.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I agree with the PP
Old 04-26-2020, 04:00 AM

Get the best padding you can afford. It makes all the difference. And get a reputable installer. We slightly overpaid to get enough to go all the places we needed with minimal seams. We had a chunk leftover but they left that with us.

We bought our carpet at Lowe's and they sent us their contractors to install.

My carpet is a low pile called Dakota. It has black, gray and khaki strands but the overall look is a wet oatmeal color. It is perfect for our house. It matches the medium dark brown of the kitchen's wood floor and the gray slate of the tile in the laundry and restrooms.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/STAINMASTER...rpet/50373520#

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote