Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What type of book club member are you?

>

Haley23

What type of book club member are you?
Old 07-18-2020, 11:07 PM

Just for fun . Are you the type who reads the book every time, reads the whole thing only if you enjoy it, or just comes for the snacks or wine? Do you still attend if you didn't finish the book?

I didn't like this month's choice at all. It was "The Yellow House" by Sarah M. Brown. Part of the issue is that I've never particularly enjoyed nonfiction, but this really bored me. However, I feel like I have to read the whole book every time. I figured out earlier this week that I needed to read 12% on my kindle every day to finish the day before book club and I sat down every day and slogged through it like a homework assignment.

My current book club is a bit more serious than others I've been in previously, and usually almost everyone finishes the book. This time when the organizer emailed out the details for this week, two people responded that they were trying to finish but may show up without having read the whole thing. Even then I still felt compelled to finish it- maybe stems from being a really good student who always did every assignment . What about you?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-19-2020, 02:57 AM

I’m a person who can’t wrap my head around the concept of a book club period. I read for pleasure period. Analyzing, dissecting and being told what to read sucks the pleasure right out of my escape.

I am also an introvert at heart. Voluntarily being peoplely during me time isn’t my thing. I’m only in 1 social / learning group but it is one of the most laid back groups with no pressure
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

book club
Old 07-19-2020, 03:38 AM

I try hard to read the book but have a couple of times not quite finished it. Sometimes I have muddled through by skipping and reading over some parts that I found long and way too complicated or detailed. I'm more of a listener at the discussion anyway. I gain a lot of insight by hearing other people's opinions and understandings. It also seems reasonable to me that no one is going to enjoy every book choice.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 07-19-2020, 03:41 AM

I belong to a book club for a podcast I listen to. We have meet ups on Zoom once a month to discuss the books. The two podcast hosts pick a book and then they have a third book which is usually easier to get from a library. I try to read all three books but it all depends on if I can get them from the library in time. I have a real hard time buying books when I know I can get them for free!
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

No book club
Old 07-19-2020, 05:02 AM

I am such a slow reader that I couldn’t keep up the pace of a book club. My hairdresser would get a kick out of me bringing the same book for 4 months in a row. Book clubs sound like fun. Maybe I can fake it like I did in literature clas.

Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-19-2020, 05:04 AM

I don't belong to a book club right now, but would like to belong to one.

My fear is being forced to read something I don't want to read. I read mostly simple feel good books and if I was asked to read super natural or another genre that's not my taste I would find it hard to read.

I think 8f people start not reading the book then it will lose the structure of the group. That may be fine for some because let's face it, it's really about getting out and enjoying friends, but others might get mad.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Book Club
Old 07-19-2020, 05:20 AM

I've always wanted to be a member of a book club but was never part of one.

I was always a great student, summa cum laude, NHS, honor societies, etc., but I think for a book club that wasn't graded, if I didn't like the book, I'd do what I could, maybe do some research about the book, and then fake it until I made it at the book club!

This year, we did a book study at school for a book I didn't particularly enjoy. We met once a month, but the day/time was never consistent. We'd decide the next meeting at the previous one. However, the leader wouldn't send out a reminder until the morning of the day we met. Needless to say, I didn't read most of the book However, as teachers were discussing how they could implement ideas into the classroom, it was pretty easy to jump in with ideas or suggestions even without reading the book.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Library book club
Old 07-19-2020, 05:38 AM

We have been having zoom meetings since March. Love my book club!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-19-2020, 05:46 AM

I’ve belonged to several book groups over the years. Even if I don’t love the selection, I like being exposed to new perspectives. I think the discussion is better when opinions vary. For example, I pretty much hated the one I finished yesterday, so I’m working on developing polite criticism (because somebody loved the book enough to recommend it). I tend to read only 2 genres, so it’s good for me to branch out a bit. I’m loving the one I started yesterday, really loving it—and it’s a book I might not have chosen for myself.

I’m retired, but many years ago I started a professional reading group at school. No admin, just teachers who wanted to discuss current research and thinking. Sometimes we’d read a book and meet by chapters, other times we’d read an article. Sometimes we’d try a new strategy and report back. The group tended to be teachers who were serious about improving their craft. It was truly fabulous.

Now that I’ve lived here 2 years, I just started a new group. We Zoom with the hope of real meetings in the distant future. We’ve only met once so far, but I liked it because everybody appears to be a serious reader.

Quote:
...it was pretty easy to jump in with ideas or suggestions even without reading the book.
I am not fond of people who join for the “clubbiness” and don’t read the book. I am a serious reader and always read the book, whether I like it or not. Or if I really hate the book and don’t finish it, I just skip that month’s meeting. I wish people who only want the social aspect and food would join a different kind of group—or start their own. I like that some people recognize book groups aren’t for them. I joined a social Zoom group to discover it wasn’t for me. I am a reader who loves a good discussion with other readers. I hope my new book group is successful.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-19-2020, 06:01 AM

If I like the book I finish it. If I don’t like it, I stop reading and say why. If I gave a crazy month I may not read at all but I still go to socialize. So I guess I’m all three types at different times.

FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 07-19-2020, 06:27 AM

I always try to finish it, even though I may not like it.

Part of the reason I enjoy being in a book club is that it forces me to read genres and choices that I wouldn't normally choose myself.

After many years with the same eight women, we have also become friends. I have to say, when I had had back surgery, I received more support from my book club (meals,etc.) than I did from my church, and I was the pastor's wife!
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-19-2020, 07:16 AM

I love my book club! I always read the whole book, but we are very flexible on the discussion. For example, we postponed starting a new book because the discussion from our last book took us 6 weeks (1 meeting a week) to complete. We had so much to talk about! And if the conversation veers away from the book, that's okay, too. We are meeting for community and if Sally needs advice about her toddler or Jane needs to vent about her marriage, that's what we do. But the book club grew out of our euchre group, mostly because we found ourselves discussing books we had read more than we played cards!
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-19-2020, 07:43 AM

I'd like to try a book club again however I have a hard time using my down time to read a book I simply do not like. It isn't pleasurable in the least for me. If I could always be the one to choose what the group read I'd be down Unfortunately that sounds like a teacher job though so I stay away from serious book clubs.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

reader
Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 AM

As a lifelong reader and lover of books, I usually read every book all the way. In recent years, if a book is really poor, I'll skim over some of the material. It's rare that i give up on a book, but it has happened.
My book club lacks rigor in discussion so I never feel I am preparing for it. It's all about enjoying the book and getting together socially.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 07-19-2020, 08:40 AM

When I first joined my book club (10 women) 15 years ago, I knew only the person who had invited me. I carefully read the book taking notes in my head so I could hold my own. The second time I went, I was the only one who had read the book which made me realize I was in the right place.

Now I generally finish the book unless I find myself slogging through it or taking WAY too long--eg. I read 1/4 of The Milkman by Anna Burns in the twelve weeks I had it from the library. It was such a relief when I finally decided I wasn't going to finish it. Sometimes I read it the quick way where I scan 1 or 2 words/phrases on a page to get the gist of the story.

We like to see each other and, in non covid times, get together for a dinner party with a fair amount of wine. None of us care if you've read the book or not and we have an agreement in our book club that if you haven't finished it, you can't demand "no spoilers".
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

bookclub type
Old 07-19-2020, 09:35 AM

If it is fiction, I usually read the end first. Yeah, I know, weird, but spoilers don't bother me. If the ending seems satisfying, I will start the book from the beginning and read it in its entirety. If the ending doesn't seem satisfying, I will read reviews on Goodreads to see if it is worth reading, then read the beginning and if it drags, I will skim the book. I've never felt compelled to read the entire book if I don't like it.

The first bookclub I was in was a lot of fun, and it was almost as much social as it was talking about books. That is, until one of the members brought in a friend who didn't like the loosie goosie format, and decided after a few months to unilaterally change how we did things. I felt like I was back in college, having to follow study questions. Needless to say, I dropped out, and so did 3/4 of the others.

Quote:
Even then I still felt compelled to finish it- maybe stems from being a really good student who always did every assignment
I was an excellent student who always did everything required/expected, but that doesn't stop me now from putting a book away that I don't enjoy.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The first bookclub I was in was a lot of fun, and it was almost as much social as it was talking about books. That is, until one of the members brought in a friend who didn't like the loosie goosie format, and decided after a few months to unilaterally change how we did things. I felt like I was back in college, having to follow study questions. Needless to say, I dropped out, and so did 3/4 of the others.
I agree. I would have left, too. It's supposed to be fun, not structured.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It's supposed to be fun, not structured.
I wholeheartedly agree! When we had our initial organizational meeting, I must have said “relaxed and friendly” 300 times (I avoid books that advertise themselves as “book club books” and have lists of questions). The others seemed to want the same thing. Even though we don’t know each other yet, we already talked about building in social time (because it’s harder on Zoom).

If I wanted structure and lists of questions, I’d go back to college.

Tidbit from Meeting #1: one member is distantly related to Pierce Brosnan.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-19-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Part of the reason I enjoy being in a book club is that it forces me to read genres and choices that I wouldn't normally choose myself.

After many years with the same eight women, we have also become friends
This is how I feel as well. Most of the things that are chosen aren't books I would pick up on my own, but I feel like that expands my world view. Some have been nonfiction about topics or world events that I previously knew very little about. On my own I prefer to read pretty basic thriller/suspense novels just for fun. Book club is my intellectual outlet.

I have become quite close to my book club as well. We started two years ago and it was actually originally part of a meetup group. I happened to show up on just the right day- I'd never been before and at the meeting they were talking about how it was sometimes hard to run a book club on meetup, because generally people are pretty flaky with meetup events- they sign up and then drop out at the last minute.

They decided we had a good group there that day and that we should just move it off of meetup and do our own thing. Because we started that way, it's a really diverse group of women with a lot of different perspectives. I always really look forward to book club day. Within the past year we've started to do other social things together too, although of course that's now kind of on hold .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 07-19-2020, 02:57 PM

I always read the whole book. The worst one for me was Swamplandia...I can not tell you how much I hated that book! And it was SO long! Like you, I had to set aside time each night to read to get through it. I bribed myself with alcohol. It was so funny bc half my book club LOVED it and the other half HATED it! There was no in between.

We joke at my book club about different types of readers...I tend to read the book right away, so by the time book club rolls around, I forget things. Others pace themselves so they finish up by the time book club is looming and there is one who always waits til the bitter end and is sometimes finishing it at book club!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-19-2020, 04:36 PM

I tend to start the book a couple weeks before we meet, bc otherwise I'll forget things. I usually finish books, but if one is a stinker, I read at least a fourth of it before giving up on it. I have bene in the same club for about 5 years. we're all former teachers/coworkers, but all at different phases in our lives/different ages which is nice. We meet up for lunch every other month or so. Lunches last a few hours, since we not only have the book to talk about but spouses, grandkids, former coworkers, gardening, whatever. We do invite others to join if we think they'll like a certain book.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote