Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tough Decision for the Kids

>

Beach Glass

Tough Decision for the Kids
Old 07-29-2020, 03:00 PM

DD1 and her fiancé set their wedding date last fall for September 19, 2020.

A small wedding - 75 people total - at a beautiful, private developed hot springs (reminiscent of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture) in the Rockies near our summer place.

And then Covid19 arrived. Since there was so little known about it, they stayed the course, although moving up the RSVP deadline to August 1.

Well, based on the rapidly growing COVID numbers in the states where guests and family members are from, they have decided to reduce the guest numbers to immediate family and the small wedding party (2 groomsmen, 2 bridesmaids).

DD1 told me they did NOT want to be responsible for anyone contracting the virus at their wedding. Data in this state has indicated weddings have caused spikes.

As a domino effect, the caterer had to be changed, for it was not economically feasible to travel 4 hours round trip for a wedding dinner of 15-20. Thankfully, just today I found a top notch caterer who was free that day, closer, and was understanding and happy to help out.

My wonderful daughter summed it up beautifully throughout the change of plans when she reminded me that it’s not the wedding, it’s the marriage that really counts. Gotta love her level-headed attitude. ❤️

And so now all the reservations that the motels had already CANCELED on our guests and family, because Kevin Costner’s production company for “Yellowstone” was extending their planned filming schedule , is moot.

They will still have a lovely wedding, albeit not what they had envisioned, and are embracing it. As a favor, they are asking all guests to send them a photo dining on Mexican food that night (what they had planned) so they can have memories of their wedding in a very unusual year.

I need to start sewing 20 wedding-themed masks.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Wedding plans
Old 07-29-2020, 03:06 PM

Kudos to you for raising such a level headed daughter. I know of many couples who are doing similar things. It might be the new trend!

Wishing your smart DD and soon to be DH a lifetime of love, health, and happiness!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-29-2020, 03:09 PM

I am so happy your DD was able to change plans without a problem. I like the young couple's attitude. The photos of guests dining on Mexican food the night of the wedding is a great idea. Have fun making your 20 wedding-themed masks
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-29-2020, 03:12 PM

What a wonderful adjustment! You raised a lovely and compassionate daughter—I salute you both. This was my favorite adjustment:
Quote:
As a favor, they are asking all guests to send them a photo dining on Mexican food that night (what they had planned) so they can have memories of their wedding in a very unusual year.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-29-2020, 03:14 PM

I am sorry about the wedding plans changing. Your daughter is a gem! I wish the couple many years of happiness! Enjoy the wedding!

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Wedding
Old 07-29-2020, 03:27 PM

I feel bad for all couples that had made wedding plans this year, what a disappointment to have to forgo their dream day. Your daughter sounds like her and her fiance are handling this the best way they can.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-29-2020, 03:29 PM

I'm so glad they are moving forward. 8ts been so hard for couples. We had a wedding on May that's been rescheduled for late August. It will be my first big outing.

The guest list is under 70. Not sure all those will attend anyway. It's outdoors on a big farm. Pray for nice weather!!

I've got my dress & shoes. Now I need a dressier mask!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-29-2020, 03:57 PM

Your DD and her fiancé have a wonderful unselfish attitude. Wishing them much happiness In the life together.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 07-29-2020, 04:09 PM

That's lovely! I'm happy to hear their level headed thinking.

Quote:
they are asking all guests to send them a photo dining on Mexican food that night (what they had planned) so they can have memories of their wedding in a very unusual year.
Like amiga13, this is my favourite idea of theirs. In my mind's eye, I can see their wedding album with the pictures from all over of people who celebrated their wedding with them.

Quote:
They will still have a lovely wedding
I wish them much happiness and a life filled with peace and joy.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 07-29-2020, 04:43 PM

I love DD's attitude. Take it from one who eloped nearly 40 years ago (next month) due to extenuating circumstances, they will be just as married if there are 75 people, 20 people, or just the two of them. I know her day will be lovely!

(Do you think you could go and invite Kevin Costner to the wedding? That would make her day really memorable!!)

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 07-29-2020, 04:59 PM

I am so impressed at your DD's attitude. I love the idea of having people send her pictures of Mexican food.

For contrast, DH's cousin was supposed to get married in October. He and his fiance can be a little high-maintenance. Anyway, because they can't have the huge wedding they planned, they have moved the wedding to April. DH and I decided that means they want a huge (expensive) wedding more than they want to be married.

I hope your DD's wedding is lovely!
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Great attitude
Old 07-29-2020, 05:16 PM

I am sure they will still have a lovely day!
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 PM

I have a wedding to go to on August 22nd which is my and my husband’s joint birthday and wedding anniversary. The couple switched venues and cut the guest list. I am still a little leery about going because there are 15 people in the wedding party alone so I am not sure how many people are going to be there and there is really no way to find out unless my husband calls his childhood friend who is the father of the groom to find out. The invitation also says for everyone to be courteous to those who wish to wear masks and social distance which to me reads don’t make fun of the cautious people. I am wondering if the guests there will be mindful of wearing masks and social distancing, or if many won’t care. That is my worry.

I think your couple has a great attitude about it because the marriage is more important than the wedding. It sounds like they are doing their best to be as safe as possible.

As far as the couple moving their wedding to April 2021, there is still no guarantee that this will be over by then. We don’t know how long it will take to develop a vaccine or if one will ever be developed. At that point, we could be doing the same thing we are now though we all hope we are not.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 AM

It sounds like it will still be a beautiful wedding. Your daughter is very wise in realizing that it isn’t the wedding, it is the marriage that counts.

My niece is was supposed to get married on October 1. Instead of adjusting the size, they chose to postpone it a year. She and her partner were really looking forward to a big wedding with all of the family.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote