Help

Kindergarten

Need someone to nitpick my idea

>

hikinghiker

Need someone to nitpick my idea
Old 07-29-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going back to school entirely distance learning. Which is great for safety, but will be extremely challenging at my school. I teach kindergarten. 80% of our students are FRL. Most of our parents and students are primarily Spanish speaking. Parents are largely uninvolved due to them working.

Here is my concern. It was hard enough to reach parents all year when I knew them and their students. All of my parents are dual working families. Many don't speak English well or at all. Many don't have a lot of time to dedicate to teaching their kids. Many rely on caregivers or siblings to watch their kids during the day.

I'm thinking that I want to do single subject days for distance learning for my kinder.

So it would look like this:

Monday: Reading: live and recorded lessons. Practice work relevant to topic. Small groups and conferencing with individual students. Online apps (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Tuesday: Math: Live and recorded lessons. practice work. Small groups and conferencing with individual students (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Wednesday: Phonics: Live and recorded lessons. practice work. Small groups and conferencing with individual students (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Thursday: Writing: Live and recorded lessons. practice work. Small groups and conferencing with individual students (Moby max, star fall, etc for extra practice)

Friday: Social studies/science/social emotional learning. Related activity. Community building (show and tell, scavenger hunt, etc)

Benefits:
- A LOT easier for parents to keep track of and access resources (printer, etc).
- Less potential for communication issues due to overwhelming activity (5 subjects, live lessons, activities, etc just seems like a lot)
- One (or more?) lesson that can be watched later.
- No need for parents to have students watch multiple lessons and keep track of days and times, especially if they have multiple children
- Easier to assign work for particular students (can sort activities into difficult level groups)
- More time for small groups and individual conferencing which will be critical for K.

Drawbacks/things I need to solve:
- Would this follow district guidelines on subject minutes?
- Would students retain information as well? How could I make sure they don't forget week by week? (online apps as 'after school' practice are my idea to mitigate this, as well as youtube channels)
- How would pacing work? Would I put lessons together, do mini lessons, etc, to make sure I stay on track?

What are your thoughts on this? Good, bad, solvable? In your opinion, would an admin be likely to approve this?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

An example schedule
Old 07-29-2020, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Monday: Reading

8:00-8:30: Live/recorded video of daily calendar/SEL

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded guided read aloud

9:00 - 10:00: Accompanying activities + extension activities

10:00 - 11:00: Computer work on suggested app (teach your monster to read, Moby max, starfall, etc)

11:00 - 3:00: Small groups and individual conferencing to reinforce lesson. Students are working independently with online apps or extension activities during this time. For example, read aloud websites, games like starfall, extension activities that havenít been completed, etc

Afterschool practice ideas:

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, alphablocks, etc
Reading with parents
Apps like Moby max or star fall
Sight word practice

Tuesday: MATH

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded lesson on math topic

9:00-10:00: accompanying math activity. Ex. Count and collect ten objects from your house. Take a picture on seesaw. + extensive activities

10:00-11:00: Computer work on suggested app (teach your monster to read, Moby max, starfall, etc)

11:00-3:00: Small groups and individual conferencing to reinforce lesson. Students are working independently with online apps or extension activities during this time. For example, read aloud websites, games like starfall, extension activities that havenít been completed, etc

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, numberblocks, etc
Reading with parents

Wednesday: Phonics

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded Open Court lesson

9:00-10:00 Open Court independent activity + extensive activities

10:00-11:00: Computer work on suggested app (teach your monster to read, Moby max, starfall, etc)

11:00-3:00: Small groups and individual conferencing to reinforce lesson. Students are working independently with online apps or extension activities during this time. For example, read aloud websites, games like starfall, extension activities that havenít been completed, etc

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, numberblocks, alphablocks, etc
Reading with parents

Thursday: Writing/Reading/Phonics

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded video of daily lesson in writing with reading and phonics incorporated. (more phonics and reading based beginning of year)

9:00-10:00: Writing, reading, phonics lesson activities + extension activities

youtube channels like Jack hartmann, numberblocks, alphablocks, etc
Journaling/drawing

Friday: Social Studies, Science, Review

8:30-9:00: Live/recorded Social Studies or Science lesson

9:00-9:30: Social studies/Science activity + extension activities

9:30-3:00: WEEKLY REVIEW conferences with individual students or small groups. These groups can target areas of need for individual groups like math, phonics, reading, etc.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 07-29-2020, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This seems like an awful lot for you!

When would you do any planning?

I do like the idea of doing the daily calendar.

Let's keep some sharing going on this board!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

I like it, it makes sense
Old 07-30-2020, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I honestly think it's a good idea for your population. My DGD is going into kindergarten this year and she would do better with this schedule than trying to do multiple subjects each day. I would at least propose it, with your sample daily schedule, to the administration. Good luck!
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-30-2020, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I see where you are coming from, and from an organizational standpoint it makes a ton of sense.

But, kinders learn through lots and lots of repetition. I think that only doing things once a week will greatly impede their learning. I don't think my admin would approve it. I know we do our zoophonics every single day for 6-8 weeks in order for most kids to learn their sounds. It would take all year if we only did it once a week.

Something that we've talked about as a team is having only one long live log-in time for each student, but broken up into sections. For example

15 min phonics lesson
5-10 min break
15 min phonemic awareness
5-10 min break
15 min math lesson

Then the rest of the school day they are doing their independent work, working on apps, watching videos, etc. That way each caregiver only has to log in once, and only has to manage their child online for an hour. I don't know if it's going to happen, but the parents of young students I know liked the idea of just one chunk of time to deal with.

Maybe instead of doing one subject per day, you have a set schedule so that they still know what to do but are getting the practice. So Mon - math worksheet, phonics video, starfall; Tues - phonics worksheet, math video, moby max; etc. Or maybe the independent work is just one subject per day, but your live zoom covers all subjects. I don't know what's best, but I do think they need the daily practice for many skills.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Break time
Old 07-30-2020, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What will your break time look like? Movement videos,snap with parents, open mics?
i would like to hear more.

I really like this idea.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 07-31-2020, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I taught Kinder last year I noticed that some days were better for online learning than other days. If a parent is unable to have their child log in on Tuesday they would miss that subject quite often . What if a child is pulled out in a breakout session for speech, resource, counseling etc. at the same time each week?

ELL learners need an enormous amount of front loading and scaffolding as well as repetition and I'm not sure that the cognitive connections will be smooth.

Will this be the schedule for the semester or all year? What will school look like when things open up more? Hybrid learning. This might prove to be a rough transition for hybrid because you will need to then condense all the standards (subjects ) into 2 days.

Just thinking ahead. Technically your schedule appears easier for parents and less intimidating.

Last edited by luvtulearn; 08-01-2020 at 07:16 AM..
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote