How many carats is your engagement ring? Disappointing experience today :( - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

How many carats is your engagement ring? Disappointing experience today :(

>

carats?

carats?

How many carats is your engagement ring? Disappointing experience today :(
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hope you'll understand the sign-out...the future bride-to-be is a teacher as well, and I don't want to run the risk that she's on PT

I accompanied a dear friend to the jewelry store today to start shopping for an engagement ring for his girlfriend. I was so excited and honored to be included! He had an idea of what he was looking for, and a VERY specific idea of his budget. He's gotten very into Dave Ramsey/saving money/etc. and isn't willing to go into debt to buy a piece of jewelry. He told the saleswoman that he wants to spend no more than $3000. She made a face and said that most "decent" settings start around that price...that's not including the diamond. She showed him a setting that we both really liked, and she showed us a diamond that fit within his budget...a 0.70 carat. I thought the diamond and the setting looked beautiful together.

The saleswoman said multiple times that what he was considering would be a great "starter ring", and something that his bride could upgrade later. She said it was a "nice, simple ring for a nice, simple bride". He started feeling discouraged and that his choice wasn't good enough. I told him I thought it was beautiful. He decided to leave and find another jeweler, and I don't blame him a bit. That saleswoman ruined a potential sale.

Am I being too simple and plain? Is 0.70 carats a diamond chip? I didn't think so at all, but I wanted your input. Thanks for weighing in!

Top Cat

My ring
Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Current one is 1 carat stone, with 1/2 carat in baguettes around it. It's my second one. My first ring was about 1/4 carat, since that's all we could afford right out of college. I loved it, and still do. It will be passed on to DD when she gets married.

the saleslady seems like a pretentious snot!!!!

busybee4

my ring
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is 1/3 of a carat. What a snob, I would not need to upgrade. I do have a 1 carat from my grandmother that I love, for sentimental reasons.

cardnialteach

DH picked mine and I love it
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When DH and his sister went shopping for me he picked the diamond and then the setting. I don't think he was concerned about the size of the diamond, but rather finding something he made special for me. When I went in to get my wedding band attached to the engagement ring I asked what size they thought the diamond was. They told me that it appeared to be 1/3 carat total. I would not have nor wish to have an upgrade to a bigger size. To me this was a big step for my DH and he picked it himself.

coppsma

Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The first one dh gave me was .50 carats, but the quality was very very good. The one I am currently wearing is .90 carats and the quality is somewhat less than the half carat ring. I do not care for rings more than one carat since they look overwhelming on the average woman's finger. Living around a city I also don't like the idea of showing off a large diamond and tempting someone to mug me for my engagemnt ring. It happens, and I would be devastated if I lost this ring.

choppie70

Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow! I would have left and not bought anything from the sales lady either.. what a snob!

My ring is about 1/2 carat. I would not want anything bigger, I have small hands and shortish fingers.

Anything too big gets to be gaudy and garish IMHO.

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Zero carats and it cost 75 dollars. It used to bother me ( the cheap part, I don't do the diamond thing) but now I love it because it is my ring, and special to me. It suits me well. I am not fancy and very practical.

I think the sales lady thought he had money and could guilt him into upgrading. Go elsewhere for sure!

maxwell

I have good friends who
Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

own and also work in the same jewelry store. That kind of talk would not be allowed in their store. The customer should always leave happy. I think that o.70 is a wonderful size for a ring. What girl wouldn't want the special diamond picked out for her?
My first diamond was half a carat. We added a ring guard with their birthstones after my sons were born. My dh upgraded my ring at 25 years. It's beautiful, but I still wear the first ring more.

SteelerFan

1/2 carat
Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am sure that your friend's DF loves him because he is sensible about money and many other reasons. That sales person was rude. I would shop around, if I was him, and see what his money will buy. You can get diamonds of various qualities and carats at any price point.
My DH wanted to trade my first (1/3 carat) for a larger ring. I loved my first ring because it was my engagement ring. I appreciated the gift on our 20th anniversary of getting to select a larger diamond. I graciously chose a better quality and cut.
Encourage your friend to think on it and he may change his mind. It is most important that he and DF are happy - not the sales person.

Laura

My Ring
Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

WE had mine made. My original ring was about 0.89 carats and I had two .25 carat baguettes (sp?) on each side and the wedding band had the same baguettes. For the Christmas after my third child DH gave me an extra band with two more baguettes. For my 40th birthday he gave me a new diamond to put in the setting that was 1.5 carats. I had the original diamond made into a necklace. Please note I am not a jewelry person. My sister's engagement ring was at lest 2.5 carats and my SIL ring was about 4. I never asked nor hinted for more. It was all him. Hey I do not get many good gifts. He bought me a mattress this year for Christmas and oil filters and oil (spark plugs too) for last Christmas!

h0kie

Rings
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have no idea how many carats my ring is. MAYBE .25. It's called an illusion diamond because the setting makes it look bigger than it is.

DH spent $250 on it. We were both broke college students and it was all we could afford. I love it anyway. In fact, I've lost so much weight, it no longer fits (even with a ring snuggie) and when I thought I lost it last year I cried. Bigger isn't always better.

I'd be afraid to wear a $3,000 ring...I just can't handle that kind of responsibility.

musicbug

A little homespun advice
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My DM ( dear mother) always told me when it comes to diamonds, get the best you can afford. Even if it is just a chip ( which .70 isn't) make sure it is a stone of the best quality. My engagement ring only cost $600 ( 14 yrs ago) at .25 of a carat. My right hand ring ( my grandmother's stone) is ,25 of a carat and beautiful. The stone cut and clarity is better than the one my STXH got me.
That diamond is no chip. I'd reconsider working with this jeweler though ( as PPs suggested). If they look down their noses at a person's budget they certainly don't deserve your friend's hard earned money.

potter403

Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am not sure how big my diamond is. I know it is smaller than many of my friends and siblings. I also know that my dh picked it out for me. I love it for that reason. I respect your friend for not going into too much debt for the ring. The size is not important. I am not sure that I could purchase the ring from that saleslady though.

Chimneygrl

Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have one carat because it was my grandmother's ring. If my DH had to pay for one then it would have been a smaller stone and that would be fine with me. The point is that it is from him.

Amy L

Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I really dislike that your friend's experience was like that. If it's a chain store, I'd write an email to the corporation. As someone else said, you should be able to walk out of the store feeling successful, no matter what your selection was. And... $3000 is a pretty big amount of money to spend on an engagement ring.I would definitely shop at a different store! I think .70 is a pretty big stone, too. I don't like really large stones for my hand. Congrats to your friends!

Valone

Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

First I would have asked to speak with the owner, and told him why he was losing my business! OMG!

If my DH spent $3K on an engagement ring I would have been furious! I think mine was around $300.

If DH becomes a millionaire, maybe I will ask him for an upgrade. But I would rather have him pay for a nice vacation.

Ima Teacher

Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would have gone somewhere else, too. Geez!

Mine is a half carat princess cut in a plain gold setting. I really like it. I have short fingers, and anything any bigger wouldn't have looked right with my wedding band. My DH picked it out all by himself.

klarabelle

Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am so happy that your friend left that store without making a purchase. He was smart to have a budget and stick with it. It isn't the ring that matters it is the marriage that it represents. Sounds like your friend is smart and thinks about the future. BTW 0.70 is a very nice size.

Alicia G

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Nice and simple bride? Nice and simple starter ring?

What a huge jerk that deserves to lose that sale! And deserves to be fired.

I hate the diamond industry's old "two month's salary" or whatever they used to (or perhaps still do) say. It's all invented to guilt insecure grooms-to-be into spending more than they should.

My goodness, I cannot believe that they are trying to plant "get a bigger ring" in this guy's head. He's got a budget (and one a lot bigger than my DH had!).

I would suggest that your friend talk to his fiancee-to-be and set a budget and other expectations with her. Perhaps they can shop and look around and narrow it down to 3 to 5 rings and then he can pick his favorite from among them (unless she has an obvious favorite).

sevenplus

Old 03-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Mine is 1/3 carat. It's perfect. I would not return to that store.

chronicfun

that's just RUDE!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Personally I think $3,000 and/or .70 carat is a HUGE ring! That saleswoman is a snot and just lost a $3,000 sale.

starley

Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Have a lot of young teachers at my school. And we have had a lot of engagements in the past 2 years. These young ladies have been all about the size of their diamond. I am disgusted.... given that half of them will be divorced before they reach their 10th anniversary.

little diamond on my ring...26 years of marriage..

sunny5678

Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Mine was 1.25 carats and over $5000. I'm now divorced.....needless to say, the size of the diamond does not equal the happiness of the marriage.

teacher.kate

Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have a three stone ring that is 1 carat TW. I love it. I have seen coworkers and friends with GIANT diamonds and lots of smaller diamonds surrounding them.. I think there comes a point when it is too much. Mine is perfect and the channel set diamond band I have adds just enough bling but not so much that it's tacky.

DH spent half that amount on my e-ring. I think that much money and that size diamond is a lot. That idiot woman just lost a great sale!

teachnkids

Old 03-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

1/2 a carat here, but the best quality.

I can't believe she was saying $3000 just for the setting. What the heck kind of setting is that. There is no way a gold band costs that much and I've seen some gorgeous rings set in gold bands.

Glad he left and I hope he can let that snobs attitude go and realize that .70 is a very nice size!

curlygirl2

how rude!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

She just wanted to get him to spend more $$.

I would never go to a chain--can you recommend him going to a private dealer?!

That's where DH got mine and mine is 1.25 carats (and of the best quality). While it did cost more than your friend is spending, it's the thought that counts. His fiancee will love it because it comes from him. And, no .70 is not a diamond chip. BUT, it sounds like for 3,000 the quality may not have been there. Tell him to do some research on the different grades of Cs of diamonds... the quality matters more than the size.

Good thing your friend has you there for support!

simplymetoo

How Awful!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I hope he goes to a different store. When we first got married we couldn't afford more than the wedding bands and I wore that for a long time. Than my dh wanted to get me a diamond, but I wouldn't let him spend more than 200 on it, it was small, but I didn't care. On our 25th anniversary he got me a diamond anniversary band. Now I just wear that with my original wedding band.

abcteacher

Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

My ring is 1/2 carat and I love it! I think it's the perfect size for me. I would never consider upgrading because that's what DH picked out and that's what I want to keep. That's what makes it special to me.

As for the saleswoman, the minute she made the face I would have turned around and walked out the door. Then I would have called the manager and explained why I left to go elsewhere. How rude!

mable007

Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

That saleswoman was so snobby! $3000 to one person is a small amount, but a fortune to another. If the ring was beautiful, than it was a success and she will love it. Your friend should find a store that appreciates his business.

I am from NYC where it is customary to have a HUGE ring. DH makes a good salary and spent around $18,000, and it is still one of the smaller rings in our circle. I love it and would never upgrade. It is about 2.2 carats, princess cut with pave setting.

Souxiekue

Mine is
Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

just under 1 carat, I think. I forget. And I actually had a "QVC Diamonique" in my setting for 3 years!! We found the perfect setting-but it was pricey, so we opted for a fake stone, and only got a real one when we traveled to Mexico. I agree with the others--that saleslady was a pretentious snob who didn't deserve to sell a ring.

gymbob

Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

The pp was right about getting the best he can afford. He really needs to read up on color, cut, clarity, polish, and symmetry. He also needs to look at the diamonds under a 10x magnifier so he knows the location of the inclusions. I helped to pick out my diamond because I wanted to know exactly what we were getting and I knew my fiance had no idea of what he was doing.

The setting does not have to have any stones at all. I can't imagine putting 3000 into a setting. A plain gold setting is the best way to make sure the money is going in the right place which is a quality diamond.

My diamond is .97 ct. He should be able to get a very nice .75 for $3000 with no diamonds in the setting. .75 is a great size!

techgrad

Not the norm
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I am a young, newly married teacher. My DH and I dated for 6 years before we got engaged. I also left my great job and family to move 5 hours to be with him.

He picked it out himself. It is the three stone setting. It total weight is just under 2 carats. Please know that I was SHOCKED when he gave it to me. I was thinking he would get something smaller for sure. He said, when he saw it, he knew it was me. That's what I love the best.

My wedding band is small stones that is almost a total of 1 carat. Again, I wanted the smaller one that was totalling 1/2 carat, but he insisted that I get the bigger one.

Yes, we are paying the wedding band off, but we are now very Dave Ramsey minded. It's almost paid off- 6 months early

Just make sure the clarity is the best. If I was with him, I would have opted for the better clarity and not the bigger diamond.

cvt

snob
Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

abcteacher said:
Quote:
As for the saleswoman, the minute she made the face I would have turned around and walked out the door. Then I would have called the manager and explained why I left to go elsewhere. How rude!
I would have complained in writing with a copy to headquarters (if this was a chain store). That woman was snobbish and rude, and obviously not a good salesperson. If I owned that company, she would no longer be working there.

GreenBunny

Old 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I have no idea of the carat size but according to this site: http://www.ajediam.com/Sizes-of-Diamonds.html the largest diamond in the middle of my engagement ring is about .5 carats and the two smaller ones on either side are about .05 carats. It's perfect for me and it's certainly not a chip. The teeny ones on the side could be called chips but the one in the middle is certainly not. 20 years ago, my ring was about $1200 which I thought was far too much to spend but MrB insisted.

"starter ring"? "nice simple bride"? How completely patronizing! I'm glad he left and I hope he calls the manager of the store to complain.

mamacanteach

Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

It sounds like this saleswoman knows what she is doing! She's trying to get him to spend more out of guilt. Who profits from this? She does! He doesn't want to seem cheap or for his future bride to be disappointed and she knows that. He definitely needs another jeweller who will respect his price limit and not make him feel badly about it.

He knows his bride and his budget best. He needs to be the one to decide how much they can really afford. Very soon there will be a whole list of other expenses -- a wedding, a house? kids? If she isn't over the moon with .7 carat diamond then does he really want to marry her?

He should NOT go in to debt for a piece of jewellery! Trust me, a few years down the line when they have a mortgage and kids and one of them gets laid off or something they will both appreciate having that money in the bank or at least not on a credit card! A lack of personal debt responsibility is a big reason why so many in North America are in so much trouble!

Look at all those !!!! Can you tell how I feel about this?

Lady Teacher

Ring
Old 03-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Mine is 1.2 carats. That includes the bagettes on the sides of the center stone. I would have never bought a ring from her. She definitely didn't deserve the commission on the ring at all! What a rude snob!

tchrpen

Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I got a sapphire. We couldn't afford a diamond. The stone was pretty about the size of a carat and a quarter. (not sure if sapphires are measured in carats.) There was a litlle diamond on each side of the sapphire.
It didn't matter. It was about the engagement and the promise, not about the diamond.

kdgteach

My ring
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

had 1/3 of a carat...I loved it...prefect for my very petite hand. I always heard and still believe...it is not the size of the diamond, but the size of the love behind it!

beachygrl

Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Kudos to your friend for sticking to his budget and refusing to do business with that snotty sales clerk. He sounds very mature and responsible, and those qualities will be important to his bride soon, whether she recognizes it now or not. She's a lucky woman!

I have my great-aunt's engagement ring that was purchased in 1923. It's a fine-quality 0.65 carat stone in a simple setting, and has amazing sparkle. I get compliments on it all the time. With diamonds, bigger isn't better, sparkly is better. And plain settings show off sparkle much better than fancy ones, in my opinion.

Evergreen

Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

My family owns a few jewelry stores. My Uncle was the President of our State's Jeweler's Association, and even designed our State's crown that is worn to the Miss America Pageant every year. That said, I tell all my friends to NEVER buy from those chain stores. Find a locally owned shop. You will get the personal attention you need and MUCH better quality.

Now, for the extremely rude saleswoman. She is obviously working off of commission, and wanted to guilt him into a more expensive ring for her benefit. You need to contact the manager and let him know what she said and that they have not only lost you as a customer-but that anyone who asks for your recommendation on a jewelry store, you will go out of your way to specifically tell them to NOT go to their store.

You can get a really nice ring if you do pave diamonds. They're small, but because of all the surface area, they are super sparkly! That's what I want, because I coach gymnastics and I'm afraid that something that sticks out will scratch a kid. The Boy knows this (and knows that my Uncle has a set of sketches I've done up in his office). What I want is similar to this: http://www.seventhavenue.com/Jewelry...42866&catCd=DI

The advice to get the best QUALITY you can afford is spot on. High quality in a smaller size is a much better use of money than a higher carat size in a lesser quality.

overthemoon

no ring
Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I don't have an engagement ring. Jewelry has never meant that much to me. We decided to save everything we had for a down payment on a house. We've been married for 33 years.

Hideeho

overthemoon
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I understand your style.

DH and I picked my rings out together. The set cost $275ish.

We, too, saved our money like crazy for other things (home) that we knew would mean a lot to us.

aggiegirl75

Mine is...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

1.75 carats with another 1 carat in the setting (on the sides of the band). I will say that the center diamond was from my DH's previous fiancÚ, and she was very demanding and materialistic. That was probably a small ring in her mind. If he hadn't already had that big ol' diamond, I am pretty sure I would have gotten something MUCH smaller, and that would have been just fine. But, I have to say, I do love it!

buffington

saleslady is a snob
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

.70 is a lovely size. what you both decidedon sounds perfect and I'm sure his fiance would have loved it.

He just had the unfortunate luck to have that particular sales person.

Hope the next jeweler is a better experience!

AD

Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Quote:
Zero carats and it cost 75 dollars. It used to bother me ( the cheap part, I don't do the diamond thing) but now I love it because it is my ring, and special to me. It suits me well. I am not fancy and very practical.

I think the sales lady thought he had money and could guilt him into upgrading. Go elsewhere for sure!
This is me! Mine was a little more than $75 and has a very small diamond, but it's mine and it's special to me! It was all my DH could afford at the time and we still don't have the budget for anything else.

MissHoney344

Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Oh my goodness, what a horrible salesperson. Do you live in an area with other jewelry stores nearby? I would not go back there. EVER! I would even call and tell my complaint to the manager with the woman's name.

MACMama

Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Mine is 1/4 carat in a simple thin gold band. I've had it for 30 years. I'd rather spend the money on something for the house, like new siding.

rhubarb

Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

Take your friend somewhere else to ensure this snotpot salesperson does NOT garner any commission from him! 0.7 is a huge size for an engagement ring. I just got engaged and mine is a carat but we are likely far older and this is second marriage for both of us. The snotpot was trying to guilt him into an upsize for her own pockets.

4wheelingtchr

Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

My engagement ring is one princess cut diamond solitaire at just a little over 1 carat TW. DH picked it out all by himself and (as he tells me) he had actually picked out a 3/4 carat diamond originally and went to pick it up and realized it was "too small" (his words, not mine!!). Which is really funny because he is sooooo frugal/penny-pincher type. I guess he just figured he wanted to make sure it was "right" (in his opinion). It is in a very basic setting, with no other little diamonds on the sides at all, just a plain thick white gold band. I think it is valued at a little under $4000. It is perfect for me. The wedding band that goes with it has 7 little princess cut diamonds (I think TW of less than 1/4 carat. Just for looks mainly).

Going on 9 years of marriage now....

basketball777

Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

0.71..it's a good size. Also if you get certain cuts they look larger, I think..like my princess cut.

urbandweller

not even a diamond
Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

When my DH proposed it was a tiny ring and the stone was the size of a pin head. I don't even know what the stone was. I didn't wear it. When we got married, I got a new set but the stone was CZ. During our 6th year together I finally got what I wanted. Almost. It is a 1/4 caret diamond and my favorite stone Sapphire in white gold setting. I love it so much I wear it everyday and I didn't do that with the others.

That sales woman just didn't want to make any money. $3000 is a hell of a lot on a teachers salary to pay for a ring. The sales Witch just didn't understand that.

GraceKrispy

Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

My engagement ring was a lovely locally made silver deal with turquoise in it. And it cost all of $25, I believe. I loved it. It was perfect for me. I don't get the diamond thing, really, so I know nothing about carats, but holy crap, $3000 for a ring seems outrageous to me, so I would have been walking out a lot sooner on a salesperson who was snobby towards my requirements for a ring. I'm not really into jewelry though, so I obviously know nothing about this. I really firmly believe it's the thought that counts, and the size only matters to people who are into that kind of thing, and salespeople who make commissions.

Gromit

Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I would complain to the manager about her, but she probably does make sales with her tactics. Most people probably think their choices aren't good enough after her face making (just like your friend did), so they spend more. The manager doesn't care why they spend more, just that they do. So good for your friend for walking out!

I honestly have no idea what carat weight my ring is. I probably knew at one time. I *think* it might be .7, and I feel like it's quite big! I wouldn't want any bigger.

I thought of something that some jewelry stores will do if a BF wants his GF's input on the rings... the guy tells them his budget in advance, and they set out the rings that fall into that range. Then she can pick without knowing the price, and he's not on the hook for too much. And she can pick freely without wondering if he wants to pay that much.

Belly

Ring
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I didn't care if I had a ring or not, I just wanted to get married to my husband. He wanted me to have a ring, so I picked out several that I liked- making sure they were all simple and inexpensive. We picked out my ring together. It was $350. I would be upset if he'd spent more. I'd rather spend money on something important like the house or paying off the car. My favorite part of the day we bought my ring was him officially asking me to be his wife. And then us kissing with tears streaming down our faces. Awww warm fuzzies!

singingsara

I have no idea.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I have no idea how many carats my engagement ring is, and I don't care. You know why? Because the important thing isn't how big or "blingy" the diamond--it's that my husband who I love, picked it out for me and it's a symbol of our life together. The saleswoman sounds like a shallow, pretentious snob. She was probably just trying to make a sale, but it sounds like she got greedy and in so doing lost ANY opportunity to make a commission at all. Hopefully she'll learn her lesson that not everyone is materialistic and insecure or willing to go into debt to buy a piece of jewelry.

Your friend sounds like a good guy. His girlfriend is lucky!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I love my small .25 to .33 carat ring. I was married a long time ago and that was pretty standard. We were young and very happy and I would not trade it for another ring or upgrade it. My DH has brought me several other rings that are beautiful and worth much more $ wise, but I love the fact that we were young and poor in the beginning. I agree you frind sounds great and his GF is lucky that he sticks to a budget, they have a lifetime to build a future they can afford.

MKat

Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

I'm not sure, but my first guess is a 1/4. I chose my own and, in addition to price, was looking for something small. I just prefer it. I remember destinctly my principal, thinking he was giving me a compliment, saying "what a rock!" and how I immediately said "NO it's NOT!"

phoenixsmom

Ring
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

I wanted something that was different from the ordinary engagement ring and my hubby knew that. He bought a 3 ct. cluster of diamonds. It's a little bigger and bolder than I expected, but he picked it out all by himself. I think this ring was cheaper than many of the traditional engagement rings. My ring does draw attention.

energie

Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

This is the reason people (like me!) buy online. Salespeople can be intolerably pushy and sleazy. I know for a fact that the markup on diamonds is HUGE in stores. Buying jewelry online is cheaper. Most of my friends have bought engagement rings online.

Have you checked out James Allen, Blue Nile, and Jared's??

They have loose diamonds and settings that you can sort by price. Why not give it a shot? It can't hurt.
Ash1ey

Ash1ey

Hahahaha
Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

It sounds like most of you have NO IDEA what the diamond market is like in the year 2012. The price of diamonds have SKYROCKETED since you have been married. China is demanding diamonds now and it has pushed the price up substantially. It costs 3k if you shop cheaply ONLINE for a .75 carat round brilliant of excellent cut, "decent" SI1 clarity, and decent H color... GIA cert not bull#### IGI or other frozen spit diamonds. Modern women choose platinum over yellow gold more often and platinum is VERY expensive. Halo settings and lots of pave also up the price of settings. I beg you to step into any "maul" store and check the price tags... you will be blown away.

multigrade

Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

I have no doubt diamonds cost more than they used to. My 1/2 carat was $1500 27yrs ago. DH had the money in his pocket, but a terrible clerk like the one in the OP lost DH's business.

Quote:
Modern women choose platinum
Modern woman don't always stay married long enough to appreciate the ring, do they? I hope the young man has purchased a ring he can afford and has given it happily to a girl who appreciates the gift. And any girl who would turn her nose up at the ring purchased for her is ungrateful.

I can't believe I missed this thread awhile back!

teachkidz14

.70=$10,000
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

My ring that my fiance got me was .70 carats but the quality/clarity is the best of the best. It ran about $10,000.

Gromit

Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

The point is not how much 0.70 carats cost. The point is that the saleswoman was rude in disparaging his choice to stay within his budget. And that is unacceptable no matter whether he is choosing a "diamond chip" or a 5 carat diamond.

multigrade

Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Well said, Gromit.

cvt

Gromit
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

I really wish PT had a "like" button so I could "like" your response.

mom2many

Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

When we were first married, we wanted a house so the ring wasn't important. It was 1/2 caret with 3 little diamonds around that. I stopped wearing it after our daughter was born 5 years later b/c it didn't fit anymore. At that point, I only wore my wedding band. On our 25th, he surprised me with a 3 stone the middle is 3 carets (am I spelling that right?) and each side is 1. It is stunning. It took awhile, but was well worth it. Size doesn't matter...in this case....

teachkidz14

Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

In regards to price, I was just pointing out that a .5 or .7 carat (whatever it may be) can actually COST MORE than a 1 carat or higher depending on the clarity of the ring. The carat is just part of the price---clarity costs a lot. That's all I was saying. Geesh

multigrade

Old 07-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

Quote:
That's all I was saying. Geesh
I didn't take the posts after yours as criticizing you.
The whole idea of the clerk in the OP is upsetting to me because we had a cruddy clerk, too.

MrsCroak

Old 07-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

would he consider buying a ring from a department store? we got my set at JCPenney and paid about $3000. It's a certified colorless, clear (and all of the other C's they talk about) and 1/2 carat. I got a setting that sits up higher and makes it look more substantial. 1/2 carat in a pronged solitaire was too skimpy. (similar setting: http://www.natalia-diamonds.com/GenI...8%5CPic-01.jpg)

Included in that $3000 is a band with small diamonds that go about halfway around.

It is beautiful and would have cost a lot more at a jewelry chain store.