Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Update from Merry Maids on Covid-19

>

amiga13

Update from Merry Maids on Covid-19
Old 04-16-2020, 12:19 PM

I have posted before that I cleaned our home until I was 65. DH’s illness brought me Merry Maids, and now I consider them a retirement gift to myself. Of course they had to close down during this crisis. No one but me has been in my home since March 12. I miss my friends and my daughter, but I really miss Merry Maids. Could they really be coming back? For those of you who love details, I just received this:
Quote:
April 20, 2020

We are extraordinarily happy to announce that your Merry Maids office will be resuming cleaning and disinfecting services effective Monday, April 27th. Many of you have been in contact with us over the past weeks and expressed your desire to restart your service. If we haven’t already, our office will be in touch with you to get you back on the schedule. We anticipate high demand as we get started so we ask for your patience.

During this period of shutdown, we have been able to develop new pathogen training that all our employees have completed, secured the appropriate personal protective equipment and effective disinfectants, and have been able to enhance our program to become an effective disinfecting and sanitizing essential service. We have implemented even more measures and new precautions including our enhanced disinfecting services* noted below:

∑ Social Distancing: Our team members will enter our office at staggered intervals so that no more than 2 team members will be present at one time to gather equipment and supplies. We will be asking our teams and customers to social distance from each other while in the home as well. For some homes we may use a single cleaner versus a team to make this easier.
∑ Gloves: Team members will be wearing gloves at all times. They will be donned before entering the home and will remain on until after they leave. New gloves will be used in each home.
∑ Hand Sanitizing: All team members will be following the correct hand sanitizing procedures as set forth in the CDC guideline and recommendations.
∑ Masks: The CDC is now recommending that all people in proximity of others wear masks. Our team members will be wearing masks throughout the duration of their workday and will be changing into a new mask in each home.
∑ Cleaning Cloths: Your team is given a dedicated bag of microfiber cleaning cloths and scrubbers that go into your home only. We will continue to use our color-coded cleaning cloths that help prevent spreading germs from one room to another. All cleaning cloths and scrubbers brought into each home are previously washed with a commercial grade disinfectant (Virucide) in hot water that kills germs.
∑ Cleaning Equipment: All equipment and supplies are disinfected between homes.
∑ Team Member Health Protocol: No team member exhibiting signs of illness with a temperature above 100 degrees will be allowed to come to work.

∑ *Enhanced Disinfecting Services: Our disinfectant has been approved by the EPA to combat emerging pathogens. We will be disinfecting the high touch surfaces of your home such as light switch plates, doorknobs, cabinet knobs, countertops, etc. In order to be effective, the product requires a “dwell” time of 3 - 10 minutes (depending on the product) on each surface before it can be wiped off. This service will add extra time to the cleaning. We will perform this service free of charge at this time during the outbreak through the end of May, however we may need to charge extra for this in the future.

We also ask for your help in stopping the spread of disease. Please notify us if you are sick or quarantined. We will work with you to resume cleaning when you are well. Late cancellation fees will be waived for illness.

As always, we thank you for your commitment to Merry Maids. We look forward to seeing you again and serving the needs of you and your family. Feel free to contact us with any questions. Stay safe and well!

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LucyDoo

Old 04-16-2020, 12:21 PM

I won't be letting anyone in my house. I can vacuum. Not worth the risk.
LucyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 04-16-2020, 01:19 PM

I am glad you will be able to take advantage of their services. It sounds like they are ready to tackle their job and will be providing a true cleaning. Enjoy~
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 04-16-2020, 01:27 PM

Are you going to let them in?
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-16-2020, 01:34 PM

Cleaning services were considered essential businesses here. A lot of people canceled their ongoing services but I know they were/are still working, or trying to at least.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-16-2020, 01:44 PM

I would wait for the following reasons:

+ if your area is still on lockdown/shelter in place, that's a sure sign not to let your guard down as far as protecting your place.
+ you are in the high risk range due to your age
+ Some people who are infected don't have symptoms initially, and others have only a mild case- but in both cases, they are able to spread COVID-19 to others.
+ Even though it's a cleaning service and they are technically cleaning your home, a cleaner can still expose you to the virus.
+ It's not just your home they will be entering, they will have been in other homes, also.
+ how is the business making sure their workers actually follow their guild lines, other than listing them
+ It's only you, and I imagine you are a very clean person, how dirty can your home be?
+ You seem to be in above average physical health, so you should be able to handle the little amount of cleaning that needs to be done!
+ If you can delay a professional cleaning, or do it yourself, this seems to be the most logical thing to do at this point.
+ and, of course, any cleaning company is going to give a detailed list of precautions, their ultimate goal is to make money
+ your home is a definite safe place now, why risk taking that away... just be patient a little longer!

The above are just a list of justifications as why not to resume your normal your normal maids coming into your home just yet.

It's great that they said they are prepared to come back, but I hope a lot of homeowners think twice about it. I hope you can make the choice that is right for you at this time.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Merry Maids
Old 04-16-2020, 01:53 PM

Are you going to let them into your house to clean? Do you think it will be safe if they follow this new protocol? I have to admit, I'd be tempted!

Thank you for sharing this information. I may pass it on to my housekeeper to see if she can do the same precautions at my house in the future. I miss her services a lot, but I will hold off for now, even if great care is taken. I'm too worried about the virus, but maybe next month or perhaps in June. Fingers crossed.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 04-16-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
+ your home is a definite safe place now, why risk taking that away... just be patient a little longer!
I think people are going to have to start making these decisions. It's a personal decision. We keep being told "just a little longer" and then it's two more weeks then another month and so on. Each person needs to think about their own situation and decide what's best.

I'm glad they're trying to keep their company going and also that they are taking safety measures.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-16-2020, 01:58 PM

Merry Maids and other cleaning services in my area never shut down. Their businesses are booming because people want their homes sanitized.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 04-16-2020, 02:23 PM

Will you have them come back?

sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses. LazyLake is my new best friend for these observations:
Quote:
+ It's only you, and I imagine you are a very clean person, how dirty can your home be?
+ You seem to be in above average physical health, so you should be able to handle the little amount of cleaning that needs to be done!
Yes, I can do it. I’ve been doing it. But I’m torn. I want to support them and I HATE vacuuming. So I decided to tentatively schedule for May 7. The world changes so quickly these days, we’ll see where we are then and I’ll cancel if that seems most wise. I hope that makes sense.

sonoma

Old 04-16-2020, 02:51 PM

I will vacuum for you if you make my beds. I decided to wash all the sheets - God know why - nobody sleeping here but me. They are all clean and stacked on the couch. I hate making beds.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-16-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma
I will vacuum for you if you make my beds.
Deal! Happy happy deal!

Lilbitkm

Old 04-16-2020, 03:07 PM

I invested in a Roomba and love it!

I still vacuum occasionally with my Shark but the Roomba is great!
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

vacuum
Old 04-16-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I want to support them and I HATE vacuuming.
I used to hate vacuuming, too! Now I have a Dyson V6 cordless stick vacuum and it's the best! No cord to worry about, it's fast, and easy to clean. It may change your mind about vacuuming.

On the other hand, it's over $200. (I got it at SAMS) so it may not be worth it if you're getting MM back.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 04-17-2020, 03:37 AM

Well, and Iím noticing I shed a lot more than I realized :P. I have super long, very thick hair (think almost down to my waist. Iím vacuuming multiple times a week, and still managing to find hair balls everywhere!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I would not take the risk.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:04 AM

We still know way too little about the virus, as evidenced by the fact that we hear something new each day. Most recently, I heard that the virus can survive freezing.

Today, they announced that movie theaters will open and enforce social distancing. Seriously? If they show a matinee at 5 p.m. and the first evening show at 7:30 p.m., how will I know where someone who is positive for COVID-19 sat at the previous showing? So even if we are all six feet apart, there are NO guarantees that I will not sit in the exact same seat as that positive person. This is not only insane, it is unconscionable. But hey, going to movie theaters is essential, right?

I hate to vacuum, do dishes, mop the floor, clean bathrooms, and every other aspect of house cleaning. But the Board of Health has never visited and so far, I am a fairly healthy 70-year-old, so I will just stay home and do what I can. Besides, my sweetie does get OCD about dishes and floors, so there's that.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Maid
Old 04-17-2020, 08:04 AM

I use MaidPro, another company. I have them come to my house twice each month. They are wonderful - wear masks and gloves, do regular stuff, plus, now they are disinfecting every door knob, cupboard handle, and light switch. They need the work. I also make sure I tip them well.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-17-2020, 12:25 PM

You can still support them without using them. As people are here with gyms.😊
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-17-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitting
You can still support them without using them. As people are here with gyms.
Do you mean youíre donating money to the services you use? Without service?

Youíre a lot richer than I am. I canít afford to do that. Eventually when my 2-person cleaning team returns, I plan to give them a tip equal to 10x the nominal tip I usually leave for them. Iíll do the same with the guy who washes my windows. But Iím astounded youíre just flat-out giving people money. Not only can I not afford it, it feels icky to me.
Can't sign in

Can't sign in

Clarification question
Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM

What is wrong with giving people who are in need, money? Can't that be a good thing during this time of great upheaval for so many?

I have friends whose husbands have lost jobs. I've sent them toilet paper and grocery store gift cards to tide them over. They were so appreciative.

I have family members who are struggling. I've sent them toilet paper, games, puzzles, and yes, money to use as they need. Again, so appreciative.

Others in our circle have helped those in need, with cash, as well.

We (our family and friends) don't think of it as "giving money". We think of it as giving back. Helping others in need. Helping our fellow mankind, which many believe is our purpose here on earth.

Now, I wouldn't give any business flat out money/cash, but people whom I love and cherish, yes. I know they'd do the same in return if I needed it. That, to me, is what makes life beautiful and rewarding.

Nothing "icky" about that, but one thing I've learned is that we all have differing ideas of how to navigate this stressful/worrisome time we are in.