Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Boarding dog

>

nyteacher29

Boarding dog
Old 07-23-2020, 06:32 AM

We have had Lucy for three months now and sheís come such a long way (backstory: she was rescued down south from kill shelter and then adopted for three months. It is obvious she was abused and has had trauma. The old owners returned her and she was about 10 pounds under weight. She really is such a good dog, she just has her quirks. They say she is 2-6 years old, we think on the younger side).

Anyway- we are going to our friendís house Labor Day, as we do each year (both families are being careful with Covid and anything can change). However we have to leave Lucy. The shelter recommended someone so I am meeting with her Tuesday. This is my first experience boarding a dog. Any recommendations/suggestions? She has a blanket I am going to send with her along with her bed and her crate (she likes her crate). Someone else suggested sending her with a piece of clothing that has our scent. My Dh does not seem to be too comfortable with someone staying at our house

I canít help but feel bad but I also know thatís silly! I just donít want Lucy to think we are abandoning her. She does well with other adults, kids, and even dogs

nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-23-2020, 06:47 AM

I would also send whataver food you're normally feeding her. Some boarding places will feed what they use, but an abrupt change can upset their stomachs.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Boarding
Old 07-23-2020, 06:48 AM

Is Lucy going to be boarded at a kennel or staying at someoneís home? Iíve had great experiences with kennel boarding. We refer to it as vacation! Buster gets to play with other dogs of similar size. The owner takes pictures and posts them online where I can log on and see them. I understand some boarding kennels now have video cameras!

We had one of our dogs stay at the home of someone we trusted and it wasnít a good experience. While they were good with dogs they werenít set up to care for dogs and our dog got loose. We never recovered her.

Weíve also had good experiences with someone we know and trust staying in our home.
trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Thank you
Old 07-23-2020, 07:00 AM

Yes! I will be sure to bring her food, her bowl and Her favorite toy. I should also bring her treats as well...thank you for that reminder

She will be staying at someoneís house. I am sorry to hear your dog went missing I am going to the womanís house on Tuesday to check it out to make sure it is a good fit. I will be bringing Lucy. I did find two other options in case for some reason Tuesday determines this situation is not a good fit. To be honest, I did not think of a kennel. I wonder if it would be too similar to being back at the shelter? But that is something I should still look into!

GreenBunny

Old 07-23-2020, 07:07 AM

If it's possible, leave her there for a couple of hours so she can see you will pick her up and maybe an overnight before you go. When we board dogs (for friends and family), that's what we suggest.

GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Green bunny
Old 07-23-2020, 07:53 AM

GREAT suggestion!! Thank you

linda2671

Is it possible
Old 07-23-2020, 09:07 AM

to board her in the city where you are visiting your friends? That way, she can be with you on the trip except for the time you are with your friends.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Dogs
Old 07-23-2020, 04:36 PM

My friends always had trusted friends to be in-house keepers for their two Jack Russell's. They always asked people they knew. More a house sitting with dogs. Our daughter did it one year as the male dog just loved her. He could not stop licking her. The female was an alpha and didn't bite, just didn't like anyone messing with her friend. So daughter goes off to university for the last 2 weeks of an eight week job. I had to sleep with those two spoiled dogs every night. I woke up every morning at 5:00 with the male licking my face and the female lying by my side growling at me. Just enough time to walk them, feed them, crate them, and get ready for school. Tiring, but I loved it. Now we babysit daughter's dog a few days a week. She is a 7 year old high energy shepherd/husky mix. Lovely dog. She loves to come here and we love to have her. She has also stayed over for 3 nights in a row with no issues and Aleera is a rescue also. A trusted friend would be what I would do.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 07-24-2020, 05:00 PM

If your dog suffers from isolation or separation anxiety, talk to your vet about medication. We have a dog with a similar story. We have worked with two dog trainers, an animal Behavioralist from a vet school and multiple visits or our vet. Our dog has isolation anxiety and we could not leave the house. We give him anywhere between 50 mg- 100 mg or trazadone. It takes the edge off and helps them relax.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote