Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

IUD anyone?

>

KT_203

IUD anyone?
Old 01-18-2020, 05:46 PM

So my periods are REALLY bad. Very heavy severe cramping etc etc. I have very low iron and itís suspected thatís why. When I was on birth control it was considerably better. I went off birth control bc we were ttc. Thatís not happening so weíre adopting. Now Iím thinking itís time to address my periods. Thinking IUD. Anyone have any experience w them? Good bad otherwise?

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-18-2020, 05:49 PM

My DD switched to an IUD due to severe cramping and is very happy with the change. She suffered so much from the cramping and I'm happy to see her feeling better.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-18-2020, 06:01 PM

Have you looked into endometriosis?

I tried an IUD for horrible periods (due to endo) and had a bad experience. It caused very intense cramping (from the iud, not period cramps) and I had to get it removed after a month. It just didn't agree with my body.

For the low iron, I do iron infusions and they are life-changing.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-18-2020, 06:12 PM

I've had a Mirena (twice) and a Paraguard IUD (once). I got the first Mirena shortly after my daughter was born (2003) and kept it for 5 years (the "life" of the Mirena), then went to a Paraguard (cheaper and longer lasting) and kept that for a little over 10 years, and recently got a new Mirena.

The first time I had the Mirena, I still got a regular period, but it was lighter (many people don't have much of a period on Mirena). I went back on a Mirena about 6 months ago because I've been having really long, light periods (lasting months at a time, then nothing for a long time, then months-long periods again)- everything's been checked and nothing wrong so it seems pre-menopausal. Since starting back on Mirena, I've had really no period- just light spotting every so often (extremely light spotting).

I kept the Paraguard (Copper) IUD for a little over 10 years. The first 3-4 months the periods were SO ridiculously intense. My regular heavy-ish periods x 100. Then it evened out so I had regular-strength periods, but I had them like clockwork every 3 weeks . My "regular" cycle was more like every 5 weeks. Several friends who tried the Paraguard never made it past the first few months because of the extreme heavy periods, so I don't know if my experience (them lessening after that intro period) is normal or not.

I've had a few friends have difficulty with IUDs -- at least one with an adverse reaction, one whose IUD fell out, and a few more who didn't like the body changes. I've had really good experiences with all three times.

To be clear, I've never really been a big cramper during that time of month (thank you, powers that be!). The only time I had any real experience with cramping due to monthly flow was after I had my third child. For some reason, the first several periods I had after having her (which started when she was about 3 months old, in spite of 100% nursing, thank you very much) were really painful and full of cramping. That was enough to give me great sympathy for people who have painful periods every month.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 01-18-2020 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: clarification
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

mrshointz

Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 PM

I have a Skyla (Iím on my second) and I LOVE it. I had heavy/long periods prior; I donít have ANY period now. I did almost pass out during the last insertion, but the cramping was much more mild after than the first time and was gone quickly.

mrshointz is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-18-2020, 08:11 PM

I had heavy periods with my IUD, but that was quite a while ago so there may have been improvements.

If one of your major criteria is to decrease bleeding, you may want to consider depo shots. One side effect usually is vastly decreased bleeding.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Have you thought about Nuvaring?
Old 01-18-2020, 09:57 PM

I've been using Nuvaring for more then ten years now, and really like it. The upside is I can safely skip my period week for up to three months just by leaving it in during the fourth week. No pills to forget, and I didn't want to deal with the extreme periods I know others have had with an iud. I know it's different for everyone, but I have one day of very mild cramps and barely three days of light period.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 01-27-2020, 06:03 PM

Went to doctor today. She discussed my options which are kind of limited due to the type of migraines I have, canít be on anything w/ estrogen, so that eliminates a lot of things including the pill, the arm implant, Nuva ring etc. she said the ones sheíd recommend are the shot or the iud. Iím going to try the IUD. Unfortunately my drs office doesnít have an appt for the procedure til mid March 😭 but weíll see what happens.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote