Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Going to doc with a laundry list

>

TeacherPK6

Going to doc with a laundry list
Old 02-16-2020, 06:45 PM

PSA: This is kind of rambly, and is mostly just me thinking out loud.

I have a regular appointment with my primary care tomorrow (Mon). I feel like I have a lot of little, random things to bring up/mention/update with her.

-Sore throat (very mild, wouldn't go in for it, but since I'm there already may as well).
-Possibly ask her to check my ears. Have had issues in past with wax build up.
-Check in on possible symptoms of reflux or mild GI issues (ex: my coughing after eating post).
-Fatigue - not sure if I'm just not sleeping enough (quite possible) or if there's something else going on. Though I've had lots of bloodwork in the past year or so.
-She'll probably ask me for a mental health update since she knows I struggle with anxiety and depression.
-She might ask me for updates on my hip (past issue, not really a problem now thankfully) and her ENT referral (turned up no issues).

Is this what being an adult is all about? I'm half worried she'll be annoyed at me for all these questions, and half worried I won't have time/won't be "brave" enough to bring them all up. Thankful there don't seem to be any major new concerns though!

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-16-2020, 06:47 PM

I literally do take a list with me, and my doctor loves it because it saves time. And I don't forget anything.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-16-2020, 06:53 PM

When you have concerns definitely bring a list and go over them. I would think she would want to know and I am sure she would love that you have it on a list. Its faster that way and you don't have to worry about forgetting something and having to call or go back.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Old 02-16-2020, 06:54 PM

She won't be annoyed. The way they code the bill for insurance is dependent on the number is issues you talk about at a physical, so she will be able to bill a higher level code. My best friend is an NP at a primary care office and it has been very enlightening!
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-16-2020, 08:04 PM

Your doctor is your partner in your health care, so don't be shy about expressing your concerns.

JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

happygal

We had a list
Old 02-16-2020, 08:56 PM

When we took our 98 year old Dad to probably his last dr appointment.

When we left my sister and I were happy because she agreed with and supported everything from our list.

I think Drs and everyone appreciates good use of time, forethought, and concisely organized ideas

I make lists for my health concerns.

Hope you have a good visit with your dr
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

List at dr
Old 02-17-2020, 05:40 AM

I always do this!!! Especially at the gyno because I seem To always have questions or concerns. When the dr says do you have anything you want to talk about I usually say oh I have a list! Shes always fine with it! I agree it kind of makes things go faster bc Im not trying to remember what I wanted to talk about.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

I always take a list
Old 02-17-2020, 05:59 AM

and my doctor can look at it, answer and be done (unless one the questions brings up something that needs to be taken care of by something other than words). I also have a list that has all my meds, strength, when I take them, OTC meds, list of doctors, surgeries and things like shots, mammo, etc. I don't have to carry my meds with me and he can look at the list and tell me it's time for bone density, flu shot or whatever. I just adjust it whenever I need to do so. Saves a lot of time and he and the nurse both love it.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 02-17-2020, 07:50 AM

Thanks everyone! I know it's probably just silly anxieties on my part. It wasn't the idea of having a list itself, so much as having "lots" of things to discuss, and "taking too much time." I know that's what she's there for, but I can't help myself. Thankfully, I did bring up everything, and the appointment went well.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

List
Old 02-17-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I think Drs and everyone appreciates good use of time, forethought, and concisely organized ideas
Exactly what happygal said. I am seeing my PCP today as well, and I have a (short) list of things I want to talk to her about. Doctors nowadays have so little time with their patients, and this is one way to use time well.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-17-2020, 06:30 PM

I finally took a list of all my little annoyances to an appointment, and we cured like 80% of them with a hysterectomy. Who knew?
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote