Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

If you wear contacts . . .

>

Ima Teacher

If you wear contacts . . .
Old 04-03-2020, 08:30 PM

Have you been wearing your contact lenses during this epidemic?

I havenít been wearing mine because a) I usually donít wear them unless Iím going somewhere and b) I donít really want to be messing with my eyeballs with a virus around.

Even though I always wash my hands well before putting them in and removing them, I still canít make myself do it.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-03-2020, 08:51 PM

On days where I get up and actually get dressed in something other than pseudo-pajamas, yes! In a weird way, when I wear my contacts I feel more put together and energized for the day. It really is just the same energy I get from showering, getting dressed for real (okay, still counting leggings!) If I wear my glasses all day I tend to be more lazy and tired.

All in all, about half and half.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-03-2020, 10:14 PM

I hate wearing my glasses- I don't like the feel of them on my face, the glare, nor being able to see the frames out of the corner of my eye. However, I wear daily lenses which are obviously very expensive (the comfort over the 2 week ones is worth it- I can never even tell I have them in). About a year ago I started making myself wear glasses instead on days I wasn't leaving the house- I figured throughout the year I'd save about 2 months worth of contacts.

I allow myself to wear contacts on days I am working or have some sort of zoom "social" thing. It's helping me keep a better sense of normalcy and feel like I'm "getting ready" for the day as I associate wearing my glasses with bumming around all day. Most days I am making videos to upload for my teaching and I need to attend some sort of zoom meeting for work at least 3 days per week, sometimes more.

It would never occur to me to be nervous about wearing them because of the virus. Washing your hands thoroughly is good enough to get rid of any concern with having your fingers near your eyes. And if you're not going anywhere, you have no way to come in contact with the virus anyway.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I dont
Old 04-04-2020, 03:41 AM

I have this feeling that my contacts might absorb the virus. Crazy, I know. I’m not leaving the house, except to buy groceries, but I still don’t want them in my eyes.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 04-04-2020, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I have this feeling that my contacts might absorb the virus.
For this very reason and because it requires touching your eyes, doctors interviewed on the news shows have recommended people not wear their contacts at this time and wear their glasses.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 04-04-2020, 05:16 AM

Like Haley, I never thought about it being risky to wear my contacts. I wash my hands before putting them in or out and am not going out at all. I also can't stand wearing my glasses all day. It's a very rare lazy day that I dont wash my face and put my contacts in, even if it's not until noon. I feel totally scuzzy unless I do.

I was supposed to have an eye appointment a few weeks ago, just as things were ramping up here. I cancelled it, but had them order me more contacts, and got them right before the office closed. I am very grateful for that right now!
Paddlegurl is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-04-2020, 05:26 AM

I wear mine daily. I also thoughtlessly touch my face during the day. I wash my hands frequently, clean constantly, and stay home. I think the whole mask controversy has proven there might not be one right answer.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-04-2020, 05:26 AM

I’ve been wearing mine most days, especially because when I walk the dog I like to be able to wear my sunglasses. I feel the same as others have said- they make me feel “dressed.” I am not a huge fan of wearing my glasses, just not as comfortable so I am still wearing my contacts.

I don’t see how the virus could get in through contacts. First of all, it’s a respiratory virus. Second, I’m not leaving the house so there would be nothing to spread. I always have washed my hands before putting them in and taking them out. Yes, I have to touch my face to put them in but again I’m not leaving my house so not super concerned.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-04-2020, 05:35 AM

Iíve been wearing my glasses since Iíve been home. Thatís three weeks now. Iíve been out twice to go to the supermarket and I wore my glasses then also. I donít think I will put my contacts in until I have to.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Allergies
Old 04-04-2020, 05:36 AM

Lately, my allergies have been bugging me, so I haven't worn my contacts as much.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-04-2020, 06:04 AM

I used to wear them years ago and if I still did now, I probably wouldn't bother at this time. That's more trouble with being so careful with hand-washing.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Contacts
Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 AM

Normally, I do wear dailies. I really have not been wearing them, but wearing my glasses instead. Will save some $ on my contacts too!! I did wear them to my dentist so I could adjust my music, but other than that, no. I had not heard we were not supposed to wear contacts. Good info!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-04-2020, 06:55 AM

I can't leave out my rigid gas permeable contacts for more than a day at a time or else my right eye changes shape and my vision declines. I'm just super careful and also wear reading glasses over the contacts so I guess that's another layer of protection.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Old 04-04-2020, 10:04 AM

I do because I don't have bifocals/progressive lenses in my glasses, so if I'm wearing them I can't see up close and if I'm not wearing them I can't see anything more than 3 feet away.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 04-04-2020, 11:29 AM

I luckily got LASIK done in early Winter so no more contacts or glasses for me!!
However, if this pandemic had happened before then, I'd be wearing glasses because I only wear contacts when I leave the house and since none of us leaving the house.. well I'd be wearing glasses
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

contacts
Old 04-04-2020, 11:34 AM

I wear mine. Between staying at home and using Purell, handwashing and more handwashing while doing housework and food prep, I feel safe wearing them. If I go out I take wipes, Purell and of course - more hand washing.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

Still wearing mine
Old 04-04-2020, 12:47 PM

As some others put, I feel a lot more put together and ready for the day once my contacts are in.

I have a pair of glasses that I will wear first thing in the morning when I get up but need to tighten the sides back up. They have the tinted lenses which are nice for going outside to get the mail but I love wearing sunglasses. So, I'm always wearing my contacts when I go out so I can have my sunglasses too.

I am supposed to go next week for my annual eye exam but looks like the office is closed for routine care visits. I did order more contacts a couple weeks ago just in case they would be closed and wouldn't be able to keep my appointment.
Mishellee99 is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 04-04-2020, 12:53 PM

I have a strong prescription. Even the thinnest lenses will eventually make my face ache, so my glasses are reserved for just before bed. I wear my contacts always, virus or not.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 04-04-2020, 07:30 PM

I still wear mine daily. I have a strong prescription and feel i see much better w contacts versus glasses. Iím just way more comfortable. Iíve work contacts since I was 10 years old.

My mom and my sister have not been wearing theirs daily bc theyíre afraid of running out and not being able to get more from the eye dr.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote