Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Classless LSU Fans

>

AUgirl76

Classless LSU Fans
Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was very disappointed that the LSU fans were yelling and cheering each time Auburn had a hurt player on the field last night. At the same time, I'm not totally surprised. I have attended many Auburn/LSU games as well as Alabama/LSU games, and LSU fans are by far some of the most classless people I have every encountered in that setting. I admit that all teams have their share of "bad fans", but cheering when a player is hurt is going a little too far. We all want to win, but it is just a game. A win is not more important than the health and safety of the young men playing. LSU fans need to keep in mind that these people they are booing may be some of the same people that reached out a helping hand after Katrina and other hurricanes. It's just a game. So hopefully LSU and their fans will put things into perspective sometime soon. WAR EAGLE!!!

teachnkids

Old 09-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Unfortunately I think this goes on in more places than we like to think. I was at the NC State vs ECU game. State was not expected to win and I thought the ECU fans were a bit out of control, especially considering they were in the minority. My mom always said use your manners, but especially when you are not in the majority! Always keep that advice in mind! I think that he alcohol consumption really lets people free up their mouths and they say and do things that they normally wouldn't say.

On a bright note, when we were walking to our car there was a young couple walking next to us and the guy turned to us and congratulated us for a great game. My DH said there's always next year for them when ECU will be on home turf. He said that was true, but he was keeping his mouth shut because he talked lots of junk about State and ate those words. He was a very classy loser in my opinion!!

Suspended

titansrst

Suspended
There are worse
Old 09-21-2008, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try these if you want to witness classless behavior:

Yankees vs Red Sox (both places)
Mets vs Phillies (at Philly but often started by Mets fans)
Eagles vs Giants (NFL, both stadiums)

The key factor in all of these cases? Alcohol. Stop selling the beer and much of this will go away.

LSUfan

Old 09-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you are looking at one small group of fans who I'm sure acted inappropriately and labeling every LSU fan in the same category by coming on this board and starting a thread titled "Classless LSU fans." I won't even get into what I witnessed last year at Tiger Stadium. Let's just say Auburn fans are no better. The cheering I witnessed from some of the Auburn fans when an Auburn player chop blocked and injured Glen Dorsey sounds like what you witnessed last night. As stated before, alcohol unfortunately causes a lot of this sort of behavior and some people are just plain jerks. That goes both ways.

Bethany

Old 09-21-2008, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That title you just posted, AUgirl, was very tasteless, IMO. LSUfan said it best...you are looking at one small group of fans. Next time, try not to label all the fans into one category. Shame on you.

Peyton1

LSU Fans
Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Whew!!! LSU fans are very intense. My daughter who lives in Arkansas went to a LSU/Arkansas game a couple of years ago and was spit on and a lady in her sixties wanted to fight her. I live in Shreveport and a couple of weeks after she went to the game the news had a huge report from the dean at LSU who wanted the LSU fans to stop spitting on the opposing team's fans.

LSUfan

Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Again, there are these type of fans everywhere. I go to a lot of games and I always see some sort of drama. The only time I ever said anything to an opposing fan was when they repeatedly kept screaming out that we were going to get f***** beat. I have 2 young kids and didn't appreciate that much. I try to ignore most things and enjoy the game. That said, I would not be happy if I got spit on and shame on whoever did that. Everyone has their share of "bad apples." I post all the time on an LSU board and there were tons of posts this morning from Auburn fans saying what a great time they had tailgating, etc with the LSU fans last night.

Last edited by LSUfan; 09-21-2008 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: misspelled a word

MissTrace

Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It can happen anywhere, and usually it is a small group of fans that make the rest look bad. I've been on the receiving end of drunken fans' constant rude comments - and we were cheering for the same team! I am glad that many colleges are getting rid of the alcohol at the games. Unfortunately, that doesn't help when the drunks start tailgating hours before the game.

cajunteacher

Geaux Tigers!!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tiger fans are the best!! If you want intense footballg go to Death Valley!! It's insane but soo much fun!! ONly a small number of people are cruel but most people are harmless!!

LSUfan

MissTrace
Old 09-21-2008, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You got it right when you said the drunks start tailgating hours before the game. Some of these people have been drinking since the morning. It doesn't matter if you sell the alchol or not in the stadium. We don't allow it in our stadium but you sure see a lot of big cups being sipped from and I know it's not all coke. You can see those people get more loud and obnoxious as the game goes on.

johnsju

AU/LSU game
Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm a diehard Auburn fan, and I was also at the game in Auburn yesterday. Yes, some of the LSU folks were drunk and obnoxious. So were some of the Auburn fans. It goes both ways. Although I did hear some LSU cheers when Brad Lester got hurt, I also saw some people in purple and gold standing and cheering when he was helped off the field.

When my friends and I were carrying our piles of stuff to our tailgating spot, my friend dropped a big bottle of Coke and it exploded. It got all over her clothes, and the rest of us had full hands. We just so happened to be by an LSU tailgate, and a sweet lady ran over with a roll of paper towels. Her husband even helped carry the rest of our stuff down to our spot...very thoughtful. He later brought some gumbo over so we could try it. I couldn't decide if I was going to post this, but I figured I needed to now...

LSUfan

johnsju
Old 09-21-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for posting. I admit I was a little upset when I first responded to this thread and ended up deleting half of what I had typed. I was just offended by the thread title. I am an "intense" LSU fan I guess. I am sometimes ashamed by what I see and hear from some of our fans. However, it's a small percentage of the fan base and most of the time it's the students. I see the same thing at every university I have ever visited.

Peyton1

So True!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So true there are bad fans everywhere!! When I posted earlier I did not mean anything ugly against the LSU fans. I know how it goes at a football game. My daughter came home and we laughed about it. She thought it was hilarious someone her grandmas age was trying to whoop her butt.

AUgirl76

Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If you read my original post, you will see that I said all teams have their share of "bad fans", I never said that Auburn didn't have bad fans. At the same time, I'm not labeling all LSU fans as classless, I'm refering to the several thousand that made the trip to Auburn last night. Yes, some of them did clap and cheer when Lester walked off the field, but if you were paying attention, the band was playing once and the fans were cheering LSU while the medical team was on the field with the player down. That's wrong. And when LSU's qb went down, our band wasn't playing and our fans weren't cheering. Alcohol does play a huge role in these behaviors, and you don't have to be at a NFL or MLB game where alcohol is sold to witness that. My original post was ONLY referring to fans cheering when a player is hurt instead showing respect. Unfortunately, the fans that make the trip to the game are the ones that are there representing. And this goes both ways. I could take offense to the post talking about the Auburn fans at the game last year, but I don't because I wasn't at that game last year. I was watching it in my house and I wasn't cheering when unnecessary things were done. I'm sure they were saying and/or doing things they shouldn't have been. I've said things to Auburn fans sitting around me at games that are doing or saying things they shouldn't be. Again, I'm just saying that cheering when a player is hurt is wrong...I don't care who your team is. And that's what this post was about.
LSUfan
Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
This message has been deleted by LSUfan.

teachnkids

Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The loudest and most obnoxious fans always ruin it for the rest of us! Let's try to remember that we all have our favorite team and there are a$$holes who are fans for every team! I grew up in NY and I don't believe there is a more intense rivalry between two teams as with the NY Mets and the NY Yankees! Most of my family are Yankees fans, but DH and I are die hard Mets fans. I have seen some really nasty Yankees fans, and I will admit that there are also some really nasty Mets fans. It goes with the territory and I will continue to say that if you get rid of the alcohol many of these loud mouth idiots would be quiet, or at least not as rude!