>

LaFish

Garage sales
Old 04-25-2022, 07:53 AM

Love or leave them?

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 04-25-2022, 08:00 AM

Our subdivision has one every yearÖthe first Saturday in April. Surrounding communities has scheduled them around the same time, so now itís a big deal.
2020-no garage sale
2021- We had a scheduled garage sale. It was outside and we had beautiful weather. We sold over $500 of old treasures. We sold our 10 year old patio set, old mismatched dishes and cups, and a few of my FILís old tools.
2022-Four other family members came and brought their little treasures and sold most of their things.
What we didnít sell we packed and donated.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

garage sales
Old 04-25-2022, 08:18 AM

I don't stop too often, but we have held them over the years when we're moving or downsizing.
While I'm a little envious of people that find some real treasures, I find in our 60's we just don't need more stuff.

This spring our HOA had a community sale. DH wanted to get rid of lots of tools along with a few household items. We were able to sell almost everything. Many people who stopped were looking for only one or two things: old cameras and jewelry. Women were on the lookout for baby items and clothing. Our signs clearly stated tools, but hope springs eternal I guess.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-25-2022, 08:59 AM

Leave them.

Iíve had one in my life, and it was at my momís house when I was cleaning out 50+ years of stuff. I didnít even price anything, just took donations for hospice, and it was still a pain. Never again.

Mom loved going to them, but they make be nervous. Typically there isnít adequate parking, so I always feel like I am in the way of traffic.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

Love them.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:52 AM

Yard sales were the only way I could buy nice things when I was a young and poor single mom. It provided toys for my child that I never could have afforded otherwise. I still enjoy stopping at them and buying unusual items, vintage table cloths and such.

I love having a yard sale every few years as a social event. We price things low, and often gather a fun group of friends hanging out in lawn chairs to help and people watch. Making money is not as important as paring down things I no longer need.

Items not sold go out on the curb afterwards with a "free" sign. I am always impressed by the people who stop by and curb pick, then neatly stack things again. It saves me from driving to a thrift store to donate.

heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-25-2022, 09:53 AM

Iíve never attended nor hosted. In fact, since moving here, I havenít even seen a garage sale. I suspect everyone now uses one of many online sites to sell. Iíve used NextDoor to offer free stuff.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 04-25-2022, 09:53 AM

Both daughters make at least 500.00 when they sell kids clothes and old decor etc. I hate having them but live going to them.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 04-25-2022, 09:55 AM

I have only had one myself when we moved out of our house and moved to an RV. I made about $500. I donít think I would ever do one again.

When my kids were little, I pretty much outfitted them with clothes from garage sales, and I supplemented their toys with used ones.

Nowadays with online things like Facebook marketplace, I find less quality things at garage sales.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-25-2022, 10:50 AM

Hard pass on going or having one! We do have a lot of stuff we need to purge and my husband is all the time telling me that we need to have a garage sale which is husband speak for 'you gather it all up, price it, display it, advertise it, and let me know when it is and I will try to make it'. Nope. Just nope!!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

love them
Old 04-25-2022, 11:15 AM

I don't like having them as I think they are too much trouble. I'd rather donate or give my stuff away. However, I love going to garage sales - especially neighborhood ones that you can walk from house to house. In fact, I went to 3 different sales like this just this last weekend. I bought a book and a really cute plant stand for my front porch. That's it. . .but the weather was beautiful so I just enjoyed being out. I was looking for some gently used baby clothes for a grandson, but I didn't find any. I was surprised actually.

Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 04-25-2022, 12:19 PM

Leave them

People seem to be there super early, and I am not a morning person. Also driving from one to another seems not fun either. I also don't want a lot of stuff, haha.

I do like shopping at thrift stores and get a lot of stuff I need, like kid's clothes from there.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 04-25-2022, 01:33 PM

Leave them.
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 04-25-2022, 01:46 PM

Leave them.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 04-25-2022, 01:49 PM

We just donate it or put it on the curb with a FREE sign on it. I got rid of a lot of stuff last year when we did a bunch of updates. Getting ready to start the next wave as we plan to move in the next few years. When we move much of the furniture will not go with us.Not sure where that will go yet. Just trying to proactively lighten the load.

As far as garage sales go, I have found some great jewelry to repurpose, and silverware for stamped jewelry i make. Once I got a huge haul of clear glass craft ornaments that kept me stocked for christmas gifts and new baby ornaments for a while.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Garage sales
Old 04-25-2022, 02:25 PM

I’m not interested in shopping at garage sales so I drive on by although I have friends who’ve found some treasures that way. I think it’s a talent I just don’t have.

When needed, I donate to the local rescue mission rather than sell.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Love them
Old 04-25-2022, 03:02 PM

I am all about a good bargain.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 04-25-2022, 03:23 PM

I've had a few in my life. My dh and I used to love to go treasure hunting on a Saturday morning. Then we found auctions and they were so much fun. I don't go alone now though. I don't really need anything that I would find at one.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 04-25-2022, 03:28 PM

I love the *idea* of a garage sale, but I hate the planning and execution of them.

I also have some mild PTSD about how my mom always wanted to have them but somehow once I reached my teens, it sort of became my job because she had ADHD and got overwhelmed with the pricing and sorting and managing.

I used to love to shop at them too. Now, I think I would just offer stuff for free.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 04-25-2022, 05:18 PM

They give me anxiety. I don’t want a bunch of strangers going through my stuff in my garage, and I don’t want to be one of those strangers going through someone’s stuff. Where do you even park?

Our town dumps have garage sale like places. If I have things I don’t want I can donate it to the dump and they sell it for cheap or free. I also go and browse periodically and have found interesting things for both home and school. It just sounds bad when someone asks you where you got an item and you say, “found it at the dump”.

My family is all about garage sales- not really having them, but going to them. Therefore I do get dragged to them by my mom, sister, aunts.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-25-2022, 06:18 PM

I've had several garage sales. It's nice to make money and sometimes fun to hang out with friends/family. But it stresses me out to have my stuff out there and have to talk with so many people and sell my stuff. I often think it's worth more than they do

I like to check them out sometimes, but I don't go on purpose usually.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-25-2022, 06:29 PM

We have a village wide Rummage Sale in May. I have done it 3-4 times. What I donít sell I take to Goodwill. I enjoy talking to people and it doesnít bother me if they do not buy anything or suggest lower prices. I give it to them. My prices are ridiculously low. What amazes me is that I have clutter to get rid of every year
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote