Help

Kindergarten

Biffytoons

>

QueSara

Biffytoons
Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anybody use Biffytoons from Whole Brain Teaching to teach sight words? I used it for the first few weeks, and it doesn't seem to be working with my kids, but I was wondering if maybe I'm not doing something right, or if there is something else that I could add to it to make it more effective.

QueSara is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegrade1

Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love Biffytoons! Are you maybe trying to move too fast? How many words are you trying to do in a week? Do your kids already know their letters and sounds? If not it is much more difficult. Do you have a set number of words that you must teach, in a certain order? I teach my sight words in an order that has my kids quickly using them in sentences for writing and reading activities. ie: I see.. I can go to.. I can see...I like (I made my own Biffytoon style card for like) We do shared writing charts with these sentence frames. I have written little books that they can use to practise the Biffytoons I have taught. Any sight word program is going to require a lot of practise. I review my cards several times a day in fun ways. I do the gesture, they tell me the word. I show the printed word, they do the gesture. Hang in there, they'll get it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mini book I GO (shopping).pdf (757.4 KB, 147 views)
lovegrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegrade1

Old 10-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Another mini book to practise the sight words I teach first. I, can, am, a. This one has the Biffytoon card for "can".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mini book I CAN (animals).pdf (344.2 KB, 102 views)
lovegrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buzzworthy

I use them
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and my kids really enjoy them. I have been introducing two new words each week. We review the words multiple times each day and we play games with the gestures. I also use short sentences and we use the gestures while we are reading them as a whole class. It just takes time and you have to go slow.

lovegrade1: I really love the books you made! thanks for sharing them.
Buzzworthy is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 10-18-2011, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have all of the cards, but I haven't gotten into using them.

sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

QueSara

More..
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We introduce two words per week, and we were given a schedule of which words to do each week. The majority of my kids don't know their letters so maybe that is part of the problem. Another problem is that they mix up the explanation with the word. For example, for "am", they held the imaginary mirror in their face. So when I asked what word "am" was, they would say "mirror". They were making this mistake even after going over the word for five days.
QueSara is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tried them one year but it didn't work for me. I also tried the Picture Me Reading flashcards as well. My classroom doesn't have any wall space, so I don't have anywhere to display pictures that large all the time. I would post about 8 words on my dry erase board, but that's all I had space for. Also, there are words in our reading program that aren't included in Biffytoons so I had to create my own cards for those words. Sadly, some weeks, we have to introduce 4 new words to follow our reading program! I think it's too much! When we reviewed the words daily, they would get confused even confusing some of the pictures/animals. I have found Heidi's Songs DVD's much more useful. But really, it's worth trying to see what works for you in your classroom! I will try everything once or twice to see how well it impacts the students' learning, especially if it helps them with their reading!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

aggielover

love it
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am using Biffytoons and my class caught on quick. I have them up in my room and we read them while doing actions. We have contests to see who can read them better: girls or boys. I have more kids this year that know their sight words than ever before. I know it is because of Biffytoons because they do the action and say the word or they will turn to find the picture, then say the word..
aggielover is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

It is important to remember not to over
Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

explain the gesture for each word. I simply say "I am" while pointing to myself and then extending my arm (mirror gesture). I frequently only do the mirror gesture and say "am". It is the repetition that works. Of course, there is the chance that one perceptive child will add another meaning, and I understand that can confuse others. So far, the class I have this year has responded very well to Biffytoons.
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buzzworthy

I don't have much wall space either
Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

so I only post 6 words at a time on our literacy board. After that I put the words poster in a slip cover and into a 3 ring binder. Then I put a note card with the site word in a pocket chart. A large pocket chart will hold about 50 note cards. We review the words with the chart and the binder. The binder is always available to the kids during center time and they work with a partner to teach and review the words as they flip through the pages. They really like getting to use the "teacher's" materials. Plus they are working with a buddy to really strengthen the sight/gesture/sound of the words and they love it.

Buzzworthy is offline   Reply With Quote