Help

The Job Search

Moving out of NY

>

ST13

Moving out of NY
Old 08-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am currently living in NY and have had no luck with the job search for an elementary position. I've been looking for about 2 years now while I am enrolled in grad school. I am graduating next year and am considering moving out of state if I still find that I have no luck.

Which states/areas are in need of teachers? I know next year things can change but I want to start thinking and researching just invade I do decide to move.

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

miles2go4u

Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

North Carolina. Just be aware that the pay is practically the lowest of all states (3rd lowest I think). But it would be a great way to get that experience you need. Good luck to you!
miles2go4u is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with what was said about NC. I will add that while the teacher pay is low, the cost of living is also much lower. Does not justify our pitiful wages, but it will cost you less for an apartment, etc.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

KCN96

Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mississippi, Las Vegas, South Dakota
Lousiana, Arizona

don't come to Georgia unless u want to work in South Ga(rural)
KCN96 is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 08-09-2014, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Definitely going to look into all those areas. Already researching North Carolina. School starts in a few weeks and I've already seen 10+ openings for elementary alone.

Any specific cities you guys recommend? I want to also consider safety if I do plan to move since I will most likely be alone.

miles2go4u

Old 08-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught in NC for 2 years and if I could do it all over again I would definitely look into Asheville or anywhere where it's more mountainous since that what I prefer. We love the Cary/Raleigh area too. A lot of people like the Charlotte area but we wanted to be able to take day trips to Myrtle Beach since we have family there.
miles2go4u is offline   Reply With Quote

flutetoot

Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am from CT and have been looking for a permanent real job for 7+ years. I finally gave up and got my VA license - had 2 interviews and was offered both jobs!
I know the county I am starting in still has openings - pay is a bit lower, but it is cheaper than CT.

Good luck
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 08-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm also in NY and have been out of grad school for a few years. I have been working very hard to get a job and have only had one serious bite where I went through 4 interviews for one school. It's definitely not easy and if I wasn't so attached to my family and area, I'd be moving too.

Good luck with the search. I've heard VA and NC are promising, but like everyone else said, low pay and not the best treatment.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yeah it would definitely be a big change. But I don't want to just sit around and get even more discouraged than I already am. I would hate for my passion to get lost in the bad economy

And I am still young so I feel like if am serious about moving now would be the best time since I don't have anything holding me back once I graduate from graduate school.

I have heard about NC and lower pay compared to up north but from what I understand everything is cheaper there so it all evens out right?

Funsun11

Florida?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You could also try Florida. I know people say jobs are starting to get sparse…but I don't see that at all. I get notifications for jobs openings daily all over Florida. As well.

Funsun11 is offline   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Does anyone know anything about South Carolina- charleston area?
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
. I have heard about NC and lower pay compared to up north but from what I understand everything is cheaper there so it all evens out right?

I am not sure it evens out, but it is clearly cheaper here. If you u want a job in NC I would get your app done online at

http://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/Home

Raleigh area is a good area to live/teach. Within a country me of hours of the mountains the beach. Some area might be dicey to work, but if you look at a map and work in the outskirts it is fine.

http://www.wcpss.net/careers/ for wake county jobs! Huge county that spans many towns.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I teach in VA. If you work in the northern part of Virginia, pay can be quite competitive because of the proximity to DC. Probably not as high as like NYC but still likely less expensive and higher than NC.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 08-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

thanks so much for the insight!

Still have a year to go before i can move to begin (i'm finishing up my last year of grad school) but I am researching and right now down south looks like where I will focus my search on.

I am visiting a friend in NC within the next few months (she also moved down there for a teaching job which is where I got the idea/thought) I'm going to just get a feel of raleigh and charlotte since I hear those are the major cities to live. I wouldnt mind teaching in the surrounding towns as long as the commute isnt terrible.

Any more insight you guys have would be very helpful! To me picking up and moving is a big deal and most likely a permanent thing unless I HATE it or the pay is just horrible as the years go on.

But I feel like to gain experience and atleast become more marketable leaving NY is my only option.
iota93820

iota93820

From an NC teacher
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have some experience teaching in Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill (aka "The Triangle").
NC as a whole is great. Great weather, with mountains, beach, and piedmont. The political leaders are totally conservative, but most city folk are moderate. I love living here. You'll get addicted to bbq lol.

Raleigh is the capital, it has good amount of American and international diversity. The schools are above average, with only some truly bad schools. Durham schools are urban high poverty (avoid living there unless you work for Duke). Chapel Hill is all about UNC, it is very nice area, but it's impossible to get jobs in that district. Duke-UNC-NCSU are often involved in the news there.

Greensboro, High Point, and Winston Salem (The Triad) is the next major urban area. I haven't lived there, but it's definitely the most conservative and southern of the cities. I don't know much about the schools.

I live in Charlotte. I love it. Lot of cosmopolitan and professional feel. Everyone is from somewhere else (rare to see a native Charlottean). They are expanding the light rail. It is 16th largest city in US (800k people). There are unique neighborhoods with their own places/events. The schools are mixture - some are very high achieving with low poverty, some are very low achieving with high poverty, most are in the middle.

If you had to live in NC, I'd pursue Charlotte if you want the true city feel, Triad if you want the southern feel, and Triangle if you want the college/capital feel.

connieg

masters degree
Old 08-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Just realize that NC doesn't pay for masters degrees for most teachers. It is a new law that has driven people away from the classroom. There are good reasons why certain states have lots of jobs each year.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

Florida
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hi,
I graduated from a PA college in 2000 and didn't even attempt to look for a teaching job in PA. I went straight to the beach -- sunny Ft. Lauderdale. I taught for a total of 10 years in Florida and loved it. The pay is not great though and neither is the insurance. there are for sure lots and lots of jobs in Florida, especially in the southern part. I think you are making the smartest decision. You can always get experience and then move back home...that's what I did -- 12 years later. Best of luck to you.
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

you guys have been so great with all the advice!

I'm definitely strongly considering moving. I think from what I read I am am leaning towards the south rather than out west. Still not 100% sure on what state but NC seems to be the state that is most mentioned on here as far as relocating is concerned.

I'm from long island and used to the proximity of everything..so I would probably want to live in a suburban area. Not so much rural.

I understand that NC teachers are paid very low, so I would definitely have to go through pros and cons of everything