Help

BusyBoard

How often do you change your desks?

>

angelluv8778

How often do you change your desks?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really like the idea of having a horseshoe for the first week or two while we do procedures then changing them to cooperative groups. But, I also like the idea of having the cooperative groups from the start and teaching them right away how to work together as a team. I need to make a decision!

BTW I teach 4th grade.

angelluv8778 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachindakidz

Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I change seats any time I notice the students becoming too chatty or having trouble getting along. So it could be 2-3 times a month.
teachindakidz is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

High School
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I only change my desks if I have to assign a group project project. But I make my first period class move them for me .
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Nienna

I like to change it up
Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also teach fourth, and I change the desks around every two weeks. Last year, I switched amomgst the horseshoe, groups of four, and pairs. This year I have more students, so I'll probably stick to groups of four/five but continue to change the seating chart every two weeks.
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

seats
Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I usually always start my students off in small groups of 4-5. This year, I am going to do something different. I'm putting two desks together side by side for the first few days/weeks of school until I have taught all important procedures. then, I will probably move them to small groups. By the way, I change my groupings at least once every 9 weeks or more. I like to give my students many opportunities to work with as many different students and personalities as possible.

ps. When I taught fourth/fifth grade, I started my students off in the U shape and then moved them into small cooperative groups. It worked out very well.

beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

desks
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach K and I move my desks every month. The kids really look forward to having a new spot/ new neighbors. Sometimes I just move the kids desks around but keep the configuration the same (groups, etc.) but sometimes I totally change it up and put them in a different arrangement like a horseshoe. Personally, I get bored if they stay the same all the time and the kids seem to like it. I try to think about what the needs are of the class at that time and move things accordingly. ie. last year I felt some kids weren't paying attention to stuff on the board so I went to a horseshoe where they were all facing forward for a while.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alf Abett

Desks
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 5th grade. I have the desks arranged in groups of 4. We do lots of group work. I don't usually rearrange the desks unless we're doing something that requires it. The students may sit wherever they choose. Some students have IEP's that must be followed. I try to have the students sit somewhere different about once every six weeks. If discipline issues arise, then I will move them.
Alf Abett is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

3rd
Old 08-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In 3rd, I move the desks at the beginning of each month or if a change needs to be made for behavior. I try to stick to groups of at least 3. At the beginning of the year, I also like a U-shape for getting to know you and procedures.
bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

Middle school
Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach 6th and we use large tables/chairs vs individual desks. I can really only do three rows of 8 or six pods of 4. I also have five classes of 25 so assigning new seats is time consuming!

I begin each year in rows until I know the kids and they know all procedures. Then I switch to groups and sort them by ability. Sometimes I vary the levels and sometimes I put them with similar peers. I change their spots at least every quarter, sometimes twice. So between four and nine weeks.

I like assigning seats because I think it's important for them to work with all types of peers instead of only sitting by friends. At the end of the year I let them choose their own spot.
heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote