Help

Retired Teachers

loving retirement

>

miz frizzle

loving retirement
Old 08-22-2014, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Over the summer, people would ask me if I was enjoying retirement. When the first week of school with inservice, planning, and meetings fired up (and I was at the beach) THEN I knew I was loving retirement.

miz frizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

Yes
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are so right. It really just felt a little like summer, but this week it has felt very real. No stress, resting, going to the beach, or anywhere for that matter and not rushing in and out.
Trying to take care of the house that I neglected for the past few years, but finally realizing that I will get it done and that I am not in a race.
Now, I can truthfully answer that it feels really good.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

For Me Too
Old 08-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My colleagues from last year have just completed their 3 day of inservice. They have 2 more and then students begin next Wednesday. And I am completely out of it. Just sleeping deeply until about 6:30 each morning, rising to a cup of tea and birds singing in the garden, breakfast out with my DH, a workout, visiting with my sister or another retired friend. This is the first time it's sinking in.

Ahhhhhhhhh, relaxing in paradise and looking forward to a good, long time of it.

;-)
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 08-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not quite loving it yet, although I do like getting out of bed at 8:00 instead of 5:30. I know I WILL love it once I'm living a normal life instead of limping around on crutches.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocchip

Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The first year of retirement is the time you really think about what the teachers are doing that first week. Now into my 3rd year, I am in a retirement routine and may briefly think of school but then get back to what I was doing!

Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is exactly when it hits! Summer is just summer, but reality hits when everyone else returns! Enjoy!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

shopping
Old 08-23-2014, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of my favorite parts is grocery shopping when almost no one is there during the day. I certainly resent those folks who invade the stores with children on weekends and during the summer!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

retirement
Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Not only loving it, but I also realize it only gets better. I'm going into my 4th (or is it 5th? ) year of retirement, and I can't believe I worked so hard all those years. I regret a little that I spent almost all my time working or being preoccupied with work, and did not spend enough time on ME, but now it is ALL about ME.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

FasDancin

Loving it!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Well, I have been retired for a couple of months now and I can really tell that my physical and mental state has improved. What I mean is, it's like I am now able to totally relax. My mind is not always on something because you know you have time to complete each task that needs to be done for your family and not worry about others. I have always been thankful for my life and good health, but I now find myself thanking God even a little more. I truly feel blessed.
FasDancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Faith508

retirement
Old 08-24-2014, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's great not to be concerned with getting ready for a new school year.

Around the first of August, our staff would receive the dreaded "hope you are having a great summer and here's the update for the new school year" letter.

After reading the letter, my brain would be on planning overdrive and our school year didn't begin until after Labor Day.

Now, the first of August doesn't bother me anymore. Retirement is fabulous!!!

Faith508 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

I'm starting to feel it too!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Next week the meetings start. I know that by this point I would have spent many days getting my room ready and I would have the nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. But instead, I am calm, relaxed, and sleeping through the night! Yea me!
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

I Hear You, MaryMac
Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I feel exactly the same way. In fact I drove past two different schools on my way home today (Sunday) and the parking lots were jammed.

Ahhhhh. . . . . I came home and made a batch of cookies, did some laundry, watched a movie, read, and am thinking about making dinner. May even get in a walk.

But no class prep, cutting out a million laminated things, writing names on everything, poring over CCSS documents and scratching my head about how I'm going to fit everything in. YOU know!
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 08-24-2014, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm enjoying my weekly glass of wine...always on Sunday nights!! I've had a walk, watched a liittle of Hallmark Channel, and read a book. 2 years ago I was running around frantically trying to gather everything together and getting ready for the big day tomorrow.

I had to go to Walmart this afternoon for DH and ran into several teachers doing that last minute shopping. So glad I don't have to spend money on that stuff again. There were a bunch of families there trying to find everything on that supply list too.
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegrade1

The "No Bell" Brunch to start the school year
Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

In my district retired teachers meet on the first day of school at a lovely local golf course for the annual No Bell Brunch to celebrate not going back to school. I think it is a lovely way to start the school year and a great time to connect with colleagues and celebrate our gratefulness.
lovegrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderdoodle2

Newly Retired
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I hope I'll start to feel "retired" soon. I'm still feeling a little displaced after all of those years of teaching. I feel almost guilty because I am not:
1. rushing around like a maniac getting ready for school
2. spending every waking hour planning for the next day
3. buying enough supplies & materials to fill up my van
4. waking up with teacher dreams -UGH!!!
5. bringing in money to help support my family

I'm hoping I can get over it and move on, and be grateful for the chance to leave the madness behind. Any help on when that will start to happen?

Words of wisdom are accepted, and encouraged, as I face this new stage in my life.

Thanks so much!
Kinderdoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Karenssister

Kinderdoodle2
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I shared your list of guilt items this summer. But sometime at the beginning of August, when I started realizing I didn't have to start getting ready, I felt this load lifted off my shoulders. I am so excited now. I DON'T have to go back there!!!! I am visiting my grandchildren and daughter, getting them off to school and work in another state. I have had an extended visit, and am just thinking about going home. My relief and gratitude are enormous!!! So, I guess it's different for each of us. I agree with Miz Frizzle. I am going to love this retirement thing! Teaching is over, and I am going on to bigger and better for me. I feel it in my bones. I hope you're feeling better every single minute!!!!
Karenssister is offline   Reply With Quote