>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Middle School Get-Together!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Middle School teachers!

Join us for a back-to-school get-together with other Middle School teachers right here on the Middle School Board.

Tell us: what is special to you about teaching in Middle School? Also, feel free to share anything you'd like to share about yourself or your teaching interests. If you're a brand new teacher, let us know that too. Let's see who we have here!

New Members welcome!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

bronxgirl75

Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love teaching middle school. Most of the kids I teach are special needs so watching them grow educationally but also socially is huge. The kids are starting to get humor but yet are still trying to please you. I have found they are willing to take more risks but they also work at problem solving.
bronxgirl75 is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Back to School Get-together
Old 09-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What is special to you about teaching in Middle School?

I never thought I would end up in middle school, but after 16 1/2 years in elementary I made the change. Honestly, I would never go back. I really like building relationships with the students. No matter what is going on in their lives, I want them to know that my room is their "safe place" to go. It is also those relationships that makes managing the classes much easier.

I've always believed that is isn't how much you know about your field, if you can't manage 40 hormonal pre-teens then you aren't going to accomplish much.

LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I never imagined I'd teach middle school. I starts out reaching high school, and I moved to the middle school to stay in the district. They promised me I could transfer back as soon as a position opened up. Sure enough, ten years later, a position did open up an they called me.

By that time I had fallen in love with the quirky 7th graders, and I can't imagine myself anywhere else. They are an interesting mix of little kids in big bodies and big personalities in little bodies.

I taught a subject at the high school. I teach kids at the middle school.

They aren't for everybody . . . not even me some days . . . but I love them.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

teaching middle school
Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The most special thing about teaching middle schoolers is their unique perspective. They are at the exact same time quite mature about some matters & behaving like kindergardeners about others. Their enthusiasm is contagious, their logic is skewed, their intensity is amazing. Teaching middle school is not for the faint of heart!

beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Edu-Kate

teaching middle school
Old 09-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The most special thing about teaching middle school is that I get to laugh everyday! You are dealing with a creature that has one foot still in childhood and one foot in the adult world! While there may be days that I wonder just how I am going to make it one more minute, I don't think I could teach any other grade level. I love the quirkiness of the age, and, while I might get mad at them, I am also the first to defend "my kids." Their enthusiasm about all things can be contagious, and I find myself always wanting the best for them and pushing them to try harder, run faster, and fly higher!
Edu-Kate is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Never a dull moment
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I enjoy watching them go from being too cool for school to getting excited when I put a sticker on their papers...within a matter of minutes. It's like what what they say about New England weather, if you don't like what you see, wait a minute. I love their sense of humor and their sense of justice. I enjoy seeing them grasp the bigger picture. As frustrating as they can be at times, I wouldn't have it any other way.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

simplymetoo

Middle School is Great
Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love teaching middle school. The students are starting to discover who they are and what they think. They are able to participate in discussions and can see the bigger picture. Teaching in middle school means you have to be able to deal with raging hormones and everything that goes along with it, but I wouldn't want to teach anywhere else.
simplymetoo is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

I teach 5-8 graders Science!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Love middle schoolers! Never thought I would after going to school for pre-K through 6 certification and working with K-3 for 16 years. Love watching the middle schoolers mature and gain incite into where they want to go to high school (most go to private schools when they leave us). Many who I start teaching as 5th graders change in many ways: socially, emotionally and academically. It is wonderful to be a part of their growth and maturity!
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-01-2014, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Teaching middle school is special to me because the relationships I form with kids are long-lasting. They are old enough to think for themselves and have deep conversations about important topics, but not too old to love their teacher! My kids (they're always "my kids" even when they aren't in my class anymore!) come back to visit year after year with memories to share of our time together. The foundation we build together while they are still kids lasts them through their high school years and beyond! I love my 6th graders!!

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Middle School
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think the best part of teaching middle school students is that they are still children in many ways, but learning (and yearning) to be mature. They understand high levels of humor, yet still enjoy the simple things. They are quirky, strive to be independent.

…and most -but not all - are still shorter than me!

I love 'em and wouldn't dream of being in the lower elementary grades.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

old mare

What is special about middle school???
Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love middle school. They keep me on my toes and make me strive to be the best teacher I can be. They keep me young, make me laugh, and confide in me. I love when they come back to visit and tell our team, "Middle School was the best"
old mare is offline   Reply With Quote

happyteachin

Laughter makes middle school special
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

MIddle schoolers understand more sophisticated humor and are eager to make jokes. I am able to use humor to deflect behavior problems which makes getting kids to behave appropriately much easier.

Love their happy smiles!
happyteachin is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Middle school literacy is the best! I love the variety of literature available to this age range. My favorite part is finding a book that keeps my reluctant readers on the edge of their seat.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

hawaii86

Middle School
Old 09-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Having taught second, fourth, and now sixth, seventh, and eighth graders, I can say they all have their quirks. The best part of teaching middle school is watching them move from a kid into a young adult. I love the conversations we can have. I can honestly say, there is never a dull moment in middle school and each and every day, I find something to make me laugh.
hawaii86 is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

What is special about Middle School
Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think that with middle school, it is a new adventure all the time.
I never planned to teach at all. I actually wanted to work at a non-profit organization like Girl Scouts, or YMCA. Although that was my plan, God had other plans for me. I have been teaching for 15 years. I never thought I would be in the education system that long. I will admit, sometimes I am ready to throw in the towel, and then I will come on sites like proteacher and look for new ideas.
powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I really didn't think I would like teaching Middle School but have been there for almost 10 years, and have found that I do enjoy it. Most of the kids are mature and they do want to learn. They want to please the teacher. Of course, they are still trying to find themselves, which could lead to a very interesting journey.

Each year I do something a little different in my English classes. I'm always looking for that perfect lesson that will capture my students' attention and make a lasting impression. There are days that I'm very overwhelmed because of all the technology that we are to use and all of the meetings we have to attend. In looking back, it was much easier when I first started teaching. When I got home in the evening, I felt like I had time to breath.
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

lingrad89

Wouldn't change
Old 09-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Long ago I thought I wanted to teach second grade, but you take the job you're offered right? 25 years later, and I wouldn't change a thing. I teach two blocks of sixth grade core. These kids get my jokes and I don't have to line them up and walk them everywhere. Some days (years) are more trying than others, but middle school is my niche.
lingrad89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Middle School
Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This is my 19th year of teaching. I've had to move up to high school twice in that time, but I always seem to return "home" to middle school. ( I never had any desire to teach elementary... )

I love teaching middle schoolers because they're old enough to be fairly independent ( even if it requires some training to get them there ) and yet still young enough not to have the jaded, bored, too-cool-for-school attitude that high schoolers seem to have about everything. Middle schoolers still get excited about any kind of class activity or game which gets them moving or breaks out of the normal routine.

They're also usually eager to please; and are still young enough to recognize their teachers as authority figures, rather than as "the-keepers-of-the-grades-who-must-therefore-be-humored," as high schoolers seem to feel.

I enjoy as well seeing them figure out who they are. Their personalities really start to blossom during middle school.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

dragonscience

My school
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I love the enthusiasm of my middle school students. They are so willing to do just about any project (especially if it means no notes and homework). I am the only science teacher at my rural school for students grade 7-12. I love working with all my students but my most fun classes are my middle school kids.
dragonscience is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegolf

My First Year as a Middle School Teacher...
Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am learning that it is a quite a bit of work. I have had very interesting days since we started on August 14th. The kids have been great. l am learning to like middle school. Hopefully it will be a wonderful year.
lovegolf is offline   Reply With Quote

churlee

Middle School
Old 09-05-2014, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I love all the above about middle school, but I also love the look on people's faces when I tell them what I teach. Not only do I teach middle school, but I teach in an urban school and I teach history. People get an horrified look and I always hear "I never know how you could do that!". I think that middle school is something you must love in order to do.
churlee is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

Middle School Science
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

This is my 2nd year teaching middle school science at a small private school. I have grades 5-8. I love the independence they have over the primary grades (that I previously taught), but still enjoy the "kid" things. Since I have them for all 4 years, it's neat to watch them mature from shy, unsure 5th graders to confident 8th graders ready to take on the world!
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

designteam

Middle School, just like the middle child
Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have now been teaching middle school for 15 years. Seeing as though I never wanted to teach above 4th grade when I first started, I can't believe I'm still here There is NEVER a day that is the same as the last. In 15 years every day has brought a new challenge or reward. Middle school students are trying to find their place in the world, testing their boundaries.much like I did and do as a middle child. I come home exhausted every day, but the days I get to just focus on teaching, it's a good exhausted. If all the educational red tape could go away and I could just focus on creating the best lessons for my students life would be perfect iin middle school!
designteam is offline   Reply With Quote

Village Teach

Born to teach middle school
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I love my job! I teach in a small village in northern New Mexico, and I can honestly say that walking into my school ever morning puts a smile on my face. My classroom is my oasis, and there is nothing like the buzzing energy of engaged middle school students. Like my 8th graders once said, I'm just like them--except I'm the leader kid.

Last edited by Village Teach; 09-06-2014 at 06:35 AM..
Village Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Red

Quite a Change
Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I began my 40th year in the classroom this year. Thirty four years were spent teaching students in Grades 2, 3, and 4. Now I am teaching 6th and 7th Reading. At times I miss the younger students. Am I happy? Yes! In our private school, our middle school students are in one building. The 6th Grade students were in the Elementary Building last year so they are in a new building. They have lockers and a schedule to follow this year. I have spent time helping them to get organized. for the most part they are happy and eager to learn. They enjoy class discussions and projects. They thrive on feedback and try to do their best. I am looking forward to a great year!!!
Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Doc Dread

Must be a little cra-cra (crazy)
Old 09-06-2014, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

In order to teach middle school you have to be a little crazy, or strange, or both. Teaching this level definitely keeps you young at heart. I am in the middle of writing lyrics to air out a long week of 'oh boy, here we go'. Teachers keep pushing forward. We can do it! Get out of that bed and go! Teaching is the hardest job I have ever done, but I love it.
Doc Dread is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenMountain

Teaching Middle School IS Special
Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I love teaching Middle School!
I, like many others, started teaching as a Secondary Ed grad who went into High School. My first student teaching was in High School and it was great. After a couple of years, I student taught in a Middle School setting and loved it.
The students' energy is very exciting! They have so many interesting and quirky emotions that make the day-to-day more interesting as a teacher.
Their physical, emotional and social changes from 5th to 8th grade allow for me to really get to know them in different ways. I love watching them grow up right in front of me.
As a social studies teacher, the curriculum can be very creative for Middle School students. I can still have them do hands-on projects and they will be quite energized by them. I can also work on writing essays and creating presentations.
It is this life in the middle of childhood and becoming more mature and like an adult that I find so rewarding.
Photo taken 9/5 of a few students presenting to the rest of class. Many soccer shirts on for their first game of the season!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
GreenMountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Firefly_7777

Middle School is my fave...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

This is my 30th year of teaching and my 25th year of middle school. I enjoy my sixth graders. They are funny and enthusiastic and make me laugh most of the time.

I had taught it for 10 years when I decided to move to elementary school, as my older daughter was entering kindergarten. I had always planned to teach elementary but had gotten my first job in 8th grade. Anyway, I did enjoy my time of five years in elementary, but came back to middle school and would not leave again.

I teach social studies, which is world cultures. I love the subject, as everything is part of culture!

Now my daughter has grown up from kindergarten to be a middle school teacher herself.

I feel lucky to enjoy my job after all these years.
Firefly_7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Redundancy

Working in Middle School is a Blessing!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Middle School kids need teachers who remember what those awkward years were like. Every day I have the opportunity to make a child smile or frown, and that responsibility is something I take very seriously.

I teach English to sixth graders, but am lucky enough to be assigned to an eighth grade Lunch Duty. I love the chance to see how my former students have grown and to be able to reconnect with them in a relaxed setting.

Aside from the wonderful intellectual work these kids are capable of, I love their pranks. They think they are so original! Last year, the administrators sent out an email to teachers asking us to be on the lookout for Slow Walkers. When I finally saw the line of 8th grade boys Slow Walking down the hall, preventing all of the kids behind them from getting to class on time, I had to keep the laughter from my voice. When I told them to disperse, they all burst out laughing thinking they were the masters of the prank. It is that kind of spirit that make middle schoolers unique and enjoyable.

I love the middle school aged child. My non-teacher friends think I am crazy. I am not sure why middle school has such a bad reputation, but I think it is the most perfect place to spend each day.

Thank you, PT for drawing attention to these boards. I hope they become very active this year! Middle School teachers are a unique bunch. We need to stick together.
Redundancy is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 09-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I taught in elementary for a decade before deciding to brave middle schoolers. I remember going to the school for the interview and realizing how much bigger the kids were - and being a bit intimidated. A friend even told me I was crazy to want to work with kids this age.

I got the job, and plan to stay with this age until I retire. I love the developmental stage they're in. They make me smile every day, even with the garbage the state and district put out, they make me love my job!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsTriVan

Back to School Get Together
Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I absolutely love teaching middle school! This is the start to my 25th year teaching literature/language arts in the same school. There is never a dull moment and every day is a new adventure.
MrsTriVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Dillolynn

Middle School for Life
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I was 21 when I graduated college and I felt too close in age to high school children, so I decided to teach middle school for a while. It have spent the past 9 years teaching Title 1 middle school children. I love it! There is something about the way they still get excited over the littlest of things but can then turn around and have a mature discussion about what they're reading. My kids live in the middle of nowhere and most can't afford to travel or go to museums. It is fun to show them virtual tours of places they have never or will never get to see and to watch them go from little kids in 6th grade to young adults in 8th grade.
Dillolynn is offline   Reply With Quote

craftymbs

I love middle school!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

While I resisted moving up to middle school for years, I made the leap a few years ago. I would never go back!

They are exciting, fun, and unpredictable. It doesn't matter how well I plan my day, there will always be a twist and turn that I just have to smile about and go with the flow.

I love teaching skills that they will continue to use throughout their lives - research skills, formal writing, creative writing, grammar. Knowing that they have been taught foundations of reading and writing during their elementary years allows me to continue building their life-long skills.
craftymbs is offline   Reply With Quote

EastCoast101

Middle School Newbie
Old 09-06-2014, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

This is my first year teaching. I had the chance to work in the middle school class at my school over the summer, and loved it! Working in an alternative school, I have both 7th and 8th graders in one class. Though I have faced challenges, it has been incredibly rewarding to see my students work through their struggles and succeed. I am excited to see what this school year will bring and look forward to learning from others in this group!
EastCoast101 is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach99

I Love the age group...
Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

To me, middle school is the perfect age group. They are old enough to understand basic discipline, but not too old as to be out of reach. I love being a mentor to them, and sharing what I know from my own experiences in school.

I started out wanting to teach elementary school, but my advisor told me that she saw me as a middle school teacher. She was correct!
bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Erica

Old 09-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I enjoy the randomness of the middle school age. They are still curious and inquisitive, can care and show compassion for the world, and often begin to enjoy the content of math and rekindle joy in it at the middle school age. The personality of a middle schooler is quite hysterical and keeps me ever-laughing and praying for our youth!
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote

City Mouse

What I love about teaching middle school
Old 09-06-2014, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I never thought I would end up teaching middle school. I have always been a primary teacher. However, what I love about teaching middle schoolers is the ability to have good, intellectual conversation with them. I teach Language Arts and I love having the complex conversations about what we have read. I also enjoy the fact that they can be so funny. Finally, I love that sometimes, they drop their cool exterior and turn back into kids. It is fun to watch them have fun and remember that they are not too old to play.
City Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

dsucces

Love Middle School
Old 09-06-2014, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I couldn't imagine teaching any other grade level. Middle school students are an interesting breed, but they are so full of energy. They keep you on your feet and young at heart. They truly make teaching worth while.
dsucces is offline   Reply With Quote