>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Fifth Grade Get-Together!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Fifth Grade teachers!

Join us for a back-to-school get-together with other Fifth Grade teachers right here on the Fifth Grade Board.

Tell us: what is special to you about teaching Fifth Grade? Also, feel free to share anything you'd like to share about yourself or your teaching interests. If you're a brand new teacher, let us know that too. Let's see who we have here!

New Members welcome!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms_C.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my first year in 5th grade and so far I love it! My kids seem more eager to learn and try. I also love that they are grown up enough to work by themselves when they need to, but they still love silly break breaks.
Ms_C. is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

What's special about 5th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

• The children are still loving
  • The children can be more independent
  • The curriculum is more involved, and I can stretch their thinking outside the box a bit
  • The kids get a more adult sense of humor
  • The kids aren't quite teenagers yet, and they aren't babies either
  • I love opening up the world of books since we're reading to learn, not learning to read!

I teach in a departmentalized setting, so I get to focus on my favorite subjects of Reading, Writing, and Language Arts. Writing is so much of an art, and they really need to develop some fundamental skills at this age in order to be successful when they get to AP classes in high school. I love that at the beginning of the year, they all freak out about writing one good, solid paragraph, but by the end of the year, they can write 5-8 paragraphs in a class period. Even though my subjects are somewhat subjective, I can show growth from the start of the year to the end with samples of their work. The parents are always amazed at the difference between their first of the year writing sample and the last one!

Reading and thinking about reading are great subjects to teach 5th graders. We've now moved from having to focus so much on the actual reading, that we can get lost in the story. I love introducing them to series where they can follow the same characters and really invest in them.

This is my 7th year with this group, and I can't imagine teaching anything else!
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

What's Special About 5th Grade...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my fourth year teaching 5th grade and my 27th year overall. Fifth graders are still eager, enthusiastic, and as stated by a previous poster, loving. They are becoming more independent and love thinking outside the box. They are more aware of the outside world so to speak. I love teaching about the United States and American history, writing, math, science, and opening their eyes to reading new authors.
I love teaching 5th grade!
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

What is special about 5th grade?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been teaching fifth grade for twelve years and for thirty years total. Fifth graders are awesome! Fifth graders are old enough to really help keep the classroom running and are still eager to do it. After training my students at the beginning of the year, my students can run the classroom and take care of all the little jobs that need to be done. The fifth grade curriculum is interesting and challenging to teach, and fifth grade students are eager to learn.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

shammanaj

What's special about fifth grade?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I returned to teaching fifth grade this year after spending two years in third. I realized how much I missed the independence of fifth graders! I love the way they can problem solve while working on a task and how they want to work without me hovering over them. They also have learned to work fairly well in cooperative groups by fifth grade, so I don't have to constantly referee arguments like I did in third grade! I love the fifth grade curriculum and the literature that they read. Most of all I appreciate how although fifth graders can sometimes show a little bit of pre-teen attitude, they still get excited about learning new things.
shammanaj is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

I love 5th grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've taught all grades 1-8 and love each for its own special reasons. This is my 6th year in 5th grade and I hope to retire here. What I love about it:
*the kids are old enough to be independent but still adore their teacher
*the curriculum rocks--I love watching them think deeply
*it's fun being the oldest kids in the school
*the kids can really help the teacher and make important decisions
*they love to come back and visit you when they're "big"
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

sherrygford

What's special about 5th grade?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is not my first year to teach 5th grade, but my first year in my school district. I teach 5th grade Math and love it! The kids at this age are somewhat knowledgable of the different mathematical operations by now and are able to have fun with Math. So far, this year has started off great and I'm looking forward to a great year!
sherrygford is offline   Reply With Quote

sherrygford

Old 09-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I know what you mean. I too taught third grade and am returning to the fifth grade this year. There is most definitely a huge difference int the maturity levels and learning of the two. Best of luck to you this year!
sherrygford is offline   Reply With Quote

duchess1956

Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hello everyone! This might be my very first time of posting.
This year is my eleventh year of teaching fifth grade. I love it! Why?
  1. Once you put your procedures in place, students can complete tasks without me imitating a helicopter.
  2. They are still polite and eager to learn.
  3. They still respect teachers.
  4. They have a thirst for knowledge, or you can still engage them easily.
  5. I learn something new from them each year to help me become a better teacher.
  6. I must teach every subject, but the Common Core Standards for fifth grade has some really interesting concepts to teach.
They have a wonderful sense of humor! My classes are usually small (17 students usually), but the range of skills can be overwhelming at times.
This year, I am using more rap videos for math. They are loving every moment of it. I have created a Facebook page just for my fifth grade classroom as a means of communication with parents. We are posting videos that we use in class and pictures of students just doing daily work.

duchess1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

love fifth
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love fifth graders! They are still kids and love their teacher. They are able to grasp higher level concepts, and do incredible work. I love their sense of humor! They get my jokes. I love that we get to prepare them for middle school and watch the excitement along the way. It is the best grade ever!
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cptjway

My Third year in Fifth
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Fifth graders are special, because they can work independently, but still give you hugs! I also love that they have great insight and pose challening questions. I'm never bored!. I've taught all elementary grades and fifth is the best. I especially like to teach Virginia Studies. Oh, and I have the BEST colleagues to work with on my team.
cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote

duchess1956

Love to Hear More!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

GiantSubs, Hello. I would sure love to see some of your writing lesson plans! That sounds so awesome that their skills grow that much. Do you have any resources for writing posted here? My students in Kentucky are tested for On Demand writing on persuasive, narrative, or informative. They must write first piece in 30 minutes. The second writing piece is passage based so they must read the passage, use information from it, and complete the writing task based on it.

r11397

Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This is my 3rd year teaching 5th grade. What makes teaching 5th grade special to me, is the opportunity to prepare them for transition to middle school. As a parent of two children, I have first hand knowledge of what they can expect, so I build in tasks that will help them in the 6th grade. I enjoy that they still have some childlike qualities left and are old enough to be given independent assignments; which allows us to cover more material.
r11397 is offline   Reply With Quote

lil_bit

What's so special about teaching 5th Grade?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Soooo many things!
I love how independent they can be when it comes to cutting and glueing things
I love how they are up for a challenge
Being new to a school, they can teach ME about some of the procedures and what to expect

This is my first year at my new school and my fourth year teaching 5th grade
lil_bit is offline   Reply With Quote

kmr17

Lovin' 5th Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This will be my second year in 5th grade after decades in 6th and 7th grades. I love the thoughts and ideas they share. They are not afraid of saying what they think, even if it is not in line with their peers.
kmr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
phox

phox

Why I love 5th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I believe the best part of being a fifth grade teacher is watching my students grow up over the year.

themilocat

Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This is my 4th year teaching fifth grade. Before that, I taught preschool! It was quite a change, but I don't think I could ever go back to younger grades. I love being able to read novels that I loved in school with my fifth graders, and as a result, see their love of reading (and reading skills!) grow!
themilocat is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Ah, 5th grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

After 5 years of 4th grade, 24 years of second grade, this will be my 3rd year of 5th grade. What a great grade level! It amazes me that they can glue and cut on a straight line or curved, they are sweet and still want to please their teacher, they have great senses of humor now, and they are not such slow writers like they were in second grade!

I love them and God willing and the creek don't rise, this will be where I will end my career in a couple of years!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Duchess1956
Old 09-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We write A LOT, as writing is definitely one of those things that the more they do it, the better and faster they get! We write in 3 different ways: they do a Paragraph of the Week program, where they write a paragraph each week on a variety of topics and are graded according to a very specific rubric, larger in class assignments involving 3-5 paragraphs with more in depth details, and in class just for fun assignments that aren't checked for grammar or against a rubric because they are just an exercise in getting our creative stories out in a 30 minute time period.

POW incorporates the grammar skills we use in class, so one week it may ask for the children to use and highlight 6 adjectives, and another week it may ask for them to use an idiom, simile, and metaphor. I also have them start each sentence with a different word to practice using transition words and have their ideas flow from one to the next, as opposed to making a list.

The in depth major assignments usually correspond to whatever we just read. For example, we're finishing Where the Red Fern Grows, which is a very descriptive story that involves all the senses - the author describes what things look like, sound like, feel like etc. They are given 3 topics to choose from that require them to write as descriptively as they can and involve all their senses. We'll write it in class for 2 days, I'll give them constructive feedback to incorporate, and they'll peer edit before they turn in a final copy. We'll review the difference between editing and revising and discuss how to ensure the story has a clear beginning, middle, and end.

The for fun timed writings take many forms. We just did the "paint chip" writing, where the children are given a paint strip and have to choose of the color names to use as a story title. Paint colors have very exotic names, and the kids have a ball trying to figure out how to incorporate the color name into a story! I also have a set of pictures (an iceberg, a sunken ship, a tornado, an underwater cave, a rainbow, a mountain stream, Aurealis Borealis etc.) and they write a story about that picture. I also have story title cards, and they write a story about the title (things like "My Mother is an Alien", "The Elephant in the Attic", "The Purple People", "The Monkeys who Live Next Door", "The Voice Behind the Screen").

I teach seminars for teachers on writing, so if you're in Georgia, let me know! I'd love to have some PTers in the audience!

forwardgirl

I adore fifth grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have taught for 23 years and fifth grade is my absolute favorite. After all this time, when paychecks come out, I will still think to myself "I can't believe I get paid to do what I do". I wonder how many people feel that way about their jobs? I feel blessed beyond belief. It is getting harder and harder to accept and try to understand all the changes going on in education, especially when I feel they are not in the best interest of the children. Still, at the end of the day, there is no group I would rather spend my time with than my wonderful fifth graders! I love my little people!
forwardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

forwardgirl

I love what you wrote!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I love how you described your writing program and the POW. Do you perhaps have a book I could buy since you teach seminars on writing? I have a feeling that your "style" of teaching writing is just what I love! Thanks so much. I live on a remote island in Washington State, so the chances of me coming to one of your seminars are quite slim. (but you never know) I will look forward to your response.
Warm regards,
Nancy May
forwardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Firebelly

Love 5th Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Tomorrow begins my 20th year teaching fifth grade. I really love working with this age group. They love novelty, but don't like being talked to or treated as if they are 2nd or 3rd graders (we had a principal who talked to everyone in our building as if we were all kindergartners. Blech!)

They love projects and challenges. Some will tell you they like worksheets where you fill in the blanks, but watch their eyes light up when they really and truly are asked to think and express themselves creatively!

We are departmentalizing for the first time. I will teach writing, grammar, orthography, and science. I will have 1 1/2 hours with each of three groups throughout the day. In this way I will know all of our fifth graders. I am looking forward to weaving these subjects together and keeping the students engaged.

I will also have a student teacher this semester. That means I may be able to pull off a Science Fair! (I've been trying to figure out how to do that - one science teacher to 65 students). I am looking forward to teaching her the value of teaching orthography (as opposed to spelling and phonics). [I'm not saying that on the whole phonics instruction is bad, but sound should not be more important than the word's meaning and etymology. After all, some of the word's etymology helps determine some of the pronunciations in a word.]
Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Me
Old 09-01-2014, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

This is my fourth year teaching and my 3rd year in 5th grade. I did 4th grade for a year as well. I love 5th grade because I love American History and 5th grade math! I also love that they get my humor and that we can joke around with each other! It's always sad to say good bye before they go on to middle school, though!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

duchess1956

GiantSubs!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Wow! I need you to be my teacher. Your reply was so full of wonderful details to help any struggling teacher. Thank you so much. I am saving your entire reply.
I won't be able to make it to Georgia, but if you have a website or sell any of your materials I would love to get in contact with you. Are there any writing books that you would recommend to pull some of these ideas that you use for your teaching?
Very inspiring post.

Lionpaws

5th Grade is Great!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I have taught 5th grade for 12 years, and this will be my 13th year. I have also taught middle school science, and I jumped at the chance to go back to 5th grade. Why? 5th graders are energetic, motivated learners. They are curious, independent, and are just on the cusp of some very deep thinking. They are absolutely inspiring when they make connections using in-depth reasoning and analysis. Very often, I am blown away with the things they "see". I have done some of the same literature for years, and it never ceases to amaze me how they can see points and perspectives that are unique and fresh. I love the challenge of the curriculum at this level as we cover some very intense subjects. I also feel very privileged to be the last teacher they have before entering middle school and thrive on the challenge to prepare them for their next step. Because I am self-contained, I get to teach each subject, and although it involves many preps, I relish the fact my day is filled with variety. I am never bored with my subjects nor my students. I feel truly blessed to work with this age group.
Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Daley Pride

Daley Pride

5th Grade Love...
Old 09-01-2014, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I love my 5th graders! I have been teaching for 24 years, this is my 20th year as a 5th grade teacher and I wouldn't think about changing. I love this grade level for all the same reasons that others have posted. I love to watch them grow both academically and physically. They transformation always amazes me! I love how independent they become and I love how they always come back and tell us that 5th grade was their favorite ;-)

MightyTeach

The Best!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Fifth grade is the best grade for me! The students are eager to learn and work hard! They listen and can work independently. I teach language arts and just love the literature that is available for this age group. I also use the paragraph of the week assignments in my class. At times, students beg to write more than one paragraph - I just love to see their eagerness to write and share. This year I will be introducing an interactive grammar notebook that the students will create and save to use as a reference.
MightyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

linderdm

Curriculum and Kids
Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

This is my 5th year in 5th grade, after experience in kgn., 2nd, multiage, and 4th. Fifth grade has been my favorite. I love the curriculum we cover and preparing the kids for middle school. The kids themselves are still eager to please, and as other PTer's have said, the independence is a bonus.

I am incorporating the use of 5 iPads in my room this year as part of an iPad expansion in the district. These kids will make it a lot of fun!
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

mojo

First year
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

It's my first year in fifth, after having spent 10 in third. Gotta say I am lovin it. They are older so they get things quicker. They are more mature. I also happened to bump I to my old third graders so am enjoying it. I teach the high achiever's in the morning reading/la/writing/social studies. I introduced sudoku to them and they LOVE it. Afternoon I have a regular class and am in love with them as well.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvmk

5th Graders Are So Innovative
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I love teaching this age group! They have mastered many important skills and are eager to apply them to various situations. They enjoy stating their positions on different issues -- and backing them up with evidence! They care deeply about the world around them, too. Most are also very innovative in their thinking about how to solve problems, both big and small. They truly want to make the world a better place
iluvmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Emely Rae

Emely Rae

What is special about teaching fifth grade?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Students are the perfect age! They are enthusiastic about learning and are like little sponges! I also love the curriculum for Grade 5 social studies in Ontario, Canada. I love my job!

Inspire

Year 14
Old 09-01-2014, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

This is my 14th year teaching 5th grade and my 34th year of teaching! I have taught many grades, but always consider 5th to be my favorite! Why? Students are more independent, creative, imaginative, curious, and the list goes on. I can sit down and have lunch with them and carry on great conversations. They get my jokes and sense of humor, most of the time!
A great quote fits my thoughts and feelings about 5th grade:

" Find a job you love and you will never have to work!
Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Pickett2

Fifth Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

This is my fifth year in fifth grade. I have previously taught 1st, 2nd and 3rd. While I loved all my positions for different reasons, I think fifth grade has become my favorite grade. I love that they get my sarcasm and have some of their own. They are able to work independently but still love to do things as a group. They are anxious to learn new things.
Pickett2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

Making a comeback
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I taught fifth grade for 20 years. I retired and stayed out for a year. I'm back at it in fifth at a charter school nearby. I love:
the fact that ten year olds still love their teacher
the fact that ten year olds are becoming quite independent
the fact that they are still eager to learn
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

tiggergirl22

What is special about teaching 5th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

This is my 12th year teaching, 8 have been with 5th grade.

They still are caring and considerate. They want to learn and will work hard to get there. They are still your babies, at least up until Christmas break (lol). 5th grade truly has been my favorite grade, and I have taught 2nd, 4th, and 6th grades as well.
tiggergirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

5th Grade students are:
Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

5th Grade students are teenagers without teenager attitudes. They still like to do cool projects, act silly, color and paint, and willing to help. I love that my 5th grade students mature so much over the year. Some think they are too old or cool to do certain silly behaviors in class, but once they see everyone else doing it they join in and generally take the lead.

5th grade students still like to share "everything" with their teachers. From stories about their dogs, friends, family activities, and even family shouldn't tells (), they love to share.
thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

Paul S.

What's Special About Teaching 5th Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

There are two things that I really like about teaching 5th. First, I like that the kids are really starting to figure out who they are. They begin showing their talents and interests in sports, music, food, etc. It is interesting to get to know who the kids are rather than who the parents try to make them be.

Second, I love teaching American history. I think that with all the emphasis on reading, math and science - all tested here in California - that we don't spend enough time teaching our own country's history and the foundation of our country, the Constitution. I consider this a big responsibility of 5th grade teachers since I don't know how well future teachers will teach the subject or whether students will be more focused on social issues than academic ones.

Thanks,
Paul S.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Lucky 13th year!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

13 years, all in fifth grade (though 2 years were 4/5 blends). . .

I love that the students "get" my jokes . . .

The curriculum is engaging and fun . . . the kids love, love SS and Science, two of my favorites!

As many posters have said, students are still "huggable" but are moving on to realizing that the world is bigger than the little piece that they see every day.

Most of the students still trust that I mean them well . . .
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Teachlegacy

Teachlegacy

Sink or swim
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Wow! I'm glad I came across this thread! You guys really help me to see things from a different perspective. I'm in my 17th year of teaching and was told that I would be teaching 5th grade this year. I have been teaching 2nd grade for the past six years and kindergarten prior to that. Needless to say I was (am) feeling some kind of way. I appreciate the wonderful comments you all have shared about your fifth grade experiences. I can see a lot of what you guys mean as I reflect on my first week in fifth. They are eager, independent, more mature learners. I've always been a good classroom manager, so that wasn't my fear. The jump in curriculum and wanting to be the best expert I could be for my students was a concern for me. You all have helped me keep an open mind and see some meaning in this move. Thank you!

6LASS

It took me a while
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

The first grade I ever taught was 3rd-loved it. The next year, they moved moved me to fourth where I spent most of my career. When I was moved to 5th, I almost panicked-some of those kids were taller than me.

Fifth grade has grew on me! It is a perfect fit:

1.Students are independent-completely.
2. Curriculum is meat-y. The math and science is much more indepth and challenging.
3. American History-this is their first real introduction to our wonderful country. (THis is really my #1 reason why I love 5th).
4. The NOVELS!! It is so difficult to pick which novels to pick from.
5. Bonding: Kids will always remember their last elemetary school teacher.
6LASS is offline   Reply With Quote

duchess1956

GiantSubs! POW
Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I can't contact you personally because I am a new member. Still trying to learn my way around this community. I am very interested in knowing if you have any materials that you sell for POW or a personal website for your seminars.

GiantSubs

Duchess1956
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Paragraph of the Week used to be a free program on Education World, but now there are many variations of it by various people. If you Google it, you'll find many options to choose from. I'm posting a sample of mine below, so you can see what the rubric on a typical assignment would be There are also free Creative Writing Prompts on TPT that you could use as POW topics.

I teach seminars, but I don't have published material. I mostly discuss my earlier post in more detail and show examples of my writing notebook and how I grade writing quickly and easily. I highly recommend Melissa Forney's Razzle Dazzle Writing as a good source of materials for the students. I copy many of her sheets on colored paper and give them to the students in a writing notebook to access and use on a regular basis.

For the in class timed writings, I find interesting pictures on the internet of nature items. Google "photos of nature" and see what pictures interest you. I pick up paint strips at Walmart or Home Depot. For the creative story titles, I found some on a website that no longer exists, and I don't have copies of them Again, you can find some resources for creative writing prompts and turn them into titles. You can also ask the students to think up some!

I hope that helps a little! Let me know if you need anything else.
Attached Files
File Type: docx The day it rained pudding Week 3.docx (120.6 KB, 23 views)

Paddlegurl

Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

This will be my second year teaching grade five. I've taught a number of other grades and enjoyed them but grade five is growing on me! I like that they can work independently but are generally pretty enthusiastic about school. I started in March last year so I think they will be even more lovable at the beginning of the year before the hormones are too bad!

I also enjoy the curriculum, we cover some really interesting stuff, especially in social studies (Ancient Egypt, Medieval Times, early Canada.) Grade fives are getting to be good readers who can really question and analyze what they read, I love discussions about our class novels.

This is the first time I've ever started in September in the same room/grade/school I left in June, so I'm going into this year more prepared than I've ever been and I'm excited to really develop my teaching skills.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Fifth Grade
Old 09-02-2014, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I was originally invited to the fourth grade get together - but I am teaching 5th grade this year.

It's my first year in 5th grade. What is nice for me so far, is that these students are in the same place academically where I left my last group at my old school.

Although the curriculum is different, I think I will enjoy this year.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Fifth Grade
Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I enjoy fifth grade because I get to watch the students growing up throughout the year. There is a tremendous difference in abilities and attitudes from August to May. I enjoy the students sense of humor-they "get" it. I also like their independence.
trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

I love 5th grade
Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I love the content for my state. Plus the kids get sarcasm and some even give it back! I love watching them blossom throughout the year and get excited about learning. I really hate that this is their last year in elementary school and I no longer see them daily.
calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

I love fifth grade!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I'm only a third year teacher. I'm new to 5th this year after two years in 1st grade. I liked 1st, but 5th is a whole new world! We've been in school for 3 weeks and I am constantly amazed by how much they can do!

- I LOVE their attitudes toward learning. They are so excited about learning and it's a very collaborative process with them. I've never enjoyed cooperative learning so much before!

- The books!! Oh, I just love the books these kids can read! I love having discussions with them about books, and being able to share in the joy of reading together. While I did love teaching first graders HOW to read, there is just something magical about teaching these kids who know how to read and are not diving deeper into literature. I love, love, love it.

- Their independence! Oh my goodness. I am still daily amazed...

- Their insights - I *love* the things they come up with, and that they can really connect with different issues.

- Their empathy - these kids have a deep desire to help people

- They are leaders - There's something about teaching the oldest kids in the school...

I just love it! I really never thought I would feel so at home in this grade level. A year or so ago, I thought I'd be in primary forever, but now I can't see ever wanting to go back!
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

4th year
Old 09-04-2014, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I have just started my fourth year teaching fifth grade and I love it! I have a dream class and feel like I am the strongest teacher I've ever been. I'm looking forward to growing even stronger!

I teach at a catholic school where we only have one of each grade K-8. I have 33 students. I come to proteacher.com to bounce ideas off other teachers.

Love this place!
jml122 is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Special Fifth Grade
Old 09-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

So many have already stated what is so special about teaching fifth graders.
Ten and eleven year olds are more independent, yet still loving and caring individuals.
Fifth graders understand my humor.
The students are very open to learning new and more sophisticated curriculum
They are not yet teenagers!
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.gteacher

Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

This is my first year in 5th grade, but my seventh year teaching, and so far I love it! Coming from third grade (where I was for the past two, and first/second) I can truly see the difference in maturity from the primary grades. My kids are eager to learn and try. I also love that they are able to work on their own, in groups, and have intellectual conversations with me. I also love that they still give me hugs, and get my humor.
ms.gteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrwgrntms

5th grade learners
Old 09-06-2014, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

This will be my first year teaching 5th grade. I have taught 3rd and 4th for many years. I have to say though that I was worried all summer about the 'big kids' but I am getting to know the 5th graders now and I absolutely love their maturity. They are very independent and is always ready to take on the resposibilty of learning.
tchrwgrntms is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveingLive

Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

This is my first year teaching 5th grade. It has been two weeks and I love it. They are so curious and love to learn. I cant wait to see how the year turns out. I work in a title one school and having the ipad as a resource in the classroom would be super! Thanks for the opportunity ProTeacher!
LoveingLive is offline   Reply With Quote

OU78061

5th grade RULES
Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

This is my first year teaching 5th grade and in education. What I love about 5th grade is that this is a testing grade.
OU78061 is offline   Reply With Quote

GinaJer2911

Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I just moved up from second to fifth. I love the independence, curiosity, helpfulness, excitement, and creativity that my kids are sharing with me each day!
GinaJer2911 is offline   Reply With Quote