Help

Special Education

Need help with activities

>

LizB

Need help with activities
Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student in my room this year who is just not able to complete third grade material. If I could find someway to level our SOL material to a lower grade she would be able to have some sort of success. I have done all of the typical things like limit the amount of multiple choice answers, have matching and fill in the blanks in small groups, used picture notes and keys rather than words etc. My problem is that even with these techniques being implemented the material is just over her head. I need our material presented at a lower level for her. Anyone have any online resources that would help me do this?

LizB is offline   Reply With Quote

Finito

Finito

Hmmm
Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is SOL? I have 2 third graders who do not perform anywhere near grade level. One is pulled out for only 30 mins/day, and the other is included for 3h/day and pulled-our for 3h/d. The first student can read and understand (reading & comprehension are below grade level, but it's more due to life circumstances. The disability is secondary).

The other third grader comprehends at a K-1 level, and academically performs at a P-K level.

For both students, I get a lot of supplemental curricular material from enchantedlearning.com

I struggle with the inclusion part of my job. (How do you differentiate a whole-class explanation?)

I thought I was coming to offer you some advice... but as I type, I'm beginning to realize that I'm the one that needs advice...

Good luck to you!

Speced9

Old 12-30-2007, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'll never understand the push to have children w/ severe disabilities perform at grade level. If they could, do you think they'd have a special ed. eligibility? Of course, some children can do grade level work in some areas, but the expectation that this ability is across the board is ridiculous.

No matter what the child's abilities are, it's our job to give them success. You're on the right track when you say that you need to provide content at a lower level. If you can't find resources for it, then you should consider making up your own. I know this is time consuming, but it's the nature of the beast in special education.

Is SOL the Standards of Learning Tests from Virginia in science and s.s.?
If that's the case, yes, you're not going to get a lot of concepts through to this child if he/she isn't cognitively ready to handle them. With every concept, maybe there is a piece here or there that you can focus on with this child. For example, if it's weather patterns that is being covered, you might make this student responsible for learning the seasons, or knowing what to do when severe weather hits.

I hope I've given you an idea of where to go here. If not, please repost with more specifics. I'm sure someone here can help out.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote