Help

Special Education

multi-grade help!

>

moobiegirl

multi-grade help!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a part time learning support classroom. I have grades 2, 3, and 4. I have 1 second grader, 5 third graders, and 1 fourth grader. The second grader is very bossy and gets upset whenever anyone calls him a second grader. It takes so much prodding to get him to go to his second grade room for specials and social studies. However, once he's there he is fine. He just hates being called a second grader. What are some approaches that I could use that would make the transition easier for him. Thanks for your suggestions.

moobiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

spedchic

Bossy Second Grader
Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had students who balk at some aspect of their schedule. What I have done to promote a more successful transition is create a picture or written word schedule for that student with all their transitions on it.

For example,

Come in from the bus
Put your back pack away and turn in your communication folder.
Go to your desk and begin independent work.
Work with "so and so" doing math
Work with "so and so" doing reading
Take a five minute break (enter choice options here)
Go to (enter special here)
Return to classroom and take a bathroom/snack break.

and on, and on... so, this schedule comes with a self-monitoring chart. After each item, the student can check or circle a happy face, a straight lined mouth face, or a sad face depending on how they feel they did (including the transition) during their activity.

After earning so many smily faces in a row (depends on the students ability level) they can earn a token (a sticker or something) to show their good effort. In addition, if they earn so many of those stickers, they can then earn an even more exciting token (ex. whatever carrot that you are sure will really make that student excited and that you can deliver immediately).

So, this is how I show students that they are already successfully completing the action that I want them to complete, and at the same time, give them incentives for changing their behavior without dictating HOW they're going to fix it. I will offer support and help with problem solving, but I give them the responsibility of earning their reward. I leave it at that.

You might want to read "Teaching with Love and Logic" by J. Fay and D. Funk. There are a lot of suggestions to assist with students who struggle with these types of issues.
Good Luck
spedchic is offline   Reply With Quote