What to do for GROUP ACTIVITY during MM? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Magnolia Room

What to do for GROUP ACTIVITY during MM?

>

badabing

What to do for GROUP ACTIVITY during MM?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am LOVING the greetings everyone shared, but what do you do for Group Activity time?? I still don't quite get this.

Thanks!

deb603

Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have the Morning Meeting book? It has tons of activities in the back, even sorted by beginning of the year and end of the year.

badabing

I sure don't
Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But now I want to go buy it even more!!

badabing

I finally gave in!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Deb, after you pointed out that the book had group activities, I checked out the table of contents. Then I promptly ordered it!

I already spent about $100 on books this summer to read for school, so what's another $20? Right??

Could anyone give me a few of their favorite activities to use while I am waiting for the book to arrive?

Thanks!

tammych

one idea..
Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

badabing, this is my first time with morning meeting so I may not be doing it right. But...I tie the group activity into my curriculum. For example, as part of the morning message I will ask them to respond to a question. Then we discuss or graph the results as our group activity. Or we play a quick review game, or do a KWL for today's topic, or recite a poem. You can search the message for certain spelling patterns, or part of speech.

kristeacher

Hope this helps
Old 09-03-2007, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you go to the responsive classroom site they have activitiies. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/

I use sparkle for spelling words. I do various hand clapping games for synonyms , compound words, antonyms. We will do I went on a trip and I had to bring( everyone has to say what they would bring and then what the other students would bring. Sausage, Good Morning Captain, Doggy Doogy where is your bone? Follow the leader. These are just a few I remember. During my morning meeting I would have poems and songs on Monday and Friday and games on the other days.

Good luck and the kids will love it

donna

MM Activities
Old 09-03-2007, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Activities I do include songs...Tony Chestnut, Oliver Twist, Hello My Name is Joe...to name a few.

I also try to include games during the week. I do "Sparkle" to practice spelling words. I do "Around the World" with math facts. And I play "I Have... Who Has..." to practice a math skill or vocab.

Games don't have to be academic though. One activity my class loved last year was the hand clapping game "Double Double This This" which we would paly with an inner and outer circle and rotate the circles until we got to everyone.

The book 99 Activities and Greetings is one I would recommend for good ideas. You can order that through the site mentioned by kristeacher above.

Ms. Beatle

Try Zoom
Old 09-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Look for the directions for the activity Zoom on the above mentioned site...my last year's class loved that.

Some mornings I will use a taped song as my activity. Early in the year I will take my class outside for tag games and community building activities such as moving a hula hoop around a closed hand circle.

AddieJ

curriculum related group activities
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our classic RC group activities that we do are: Zoom, Oliver Twist, Human Protractor, Category Snap, Telegraph, and My Bonnie.
I'm not sure if “Guess the Number” is an RC game but my kids love it. I write down 1-20 and cross out the numbers when they're guessed and I give clues to help narrow it down. My kids enjoy being the teacher for this game!

Sometimes I take this time to sing some of our favorite learning songs (two favorites are “The Continent Song” and “Oceans” from Dr. Jean’s Sing to Learn CD - I made big books for both to use as visuals) or we sing songs that go with our current unit of study.
Another group activity we do (that helps us flow into reading time after MM) - is we make a list of words for the sound we are learning in reading (for our class sound books) on the large chart. Ex. I write 22 sentences (one for each student) that each start with "M is for..." Each student tells a word that starts with M and later they'll draw a picture of it for our "M is for..." class book.
At the beginning of the year we graph our names in the pocket chart according to if the students have a certain letter in their name or not (and later I'll write it in the class book.)