Help

Special Education

literacy collaborative and Level

>

Jean

literacy collaborative and Level
Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I like to know if anyone uses literacy collaborative. My grandson is in 6th grade in special education. He is reading on Level D. I think he was on Level D last year. Should he have move to next level by now? His teacher says he needs to work on comprehension.

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

practice

confused by your post
Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am confused by your post
A level D is a kindergarten level. Level D books do not have a lot of comprehension work to do in them. They are pretty much patterned books except for the last page. If your grandson is truly still in level D books in 6th grade then this tells me that he is relying on patterned books and trying to memorize the story instead of really learning to read. This also tells me that he most likely relies on meaning and ignores visual. Of course this is all assumptions since I do not know your grandson. There is a large jump from level D to level E. Level E has less pattern support and the student will need to have a bank of known sight words to get through a level E book.
practice is offline   Reply With Quote

Jean

literacy collaborative and level
Old 03-10-2016, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The teacher said that level D was first grade level.He doesn't bring home anything to practice his reading. What can I do to improve his comprehension?

practice

some ideas
Old 03-11-2016, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

See if you can borrow some level E books from your elementary school in your district. Do a thorough book introduction by sitting beside him and going page by page discussing the pictures, any hard sentence structures and any hard vocabulary. Then have him read the book, relying on meaning the most. When he gets stuck on a word, try to ask him to think about the story and think what word would make sense and start with that letter. Etc.
After reading, discuss the story and then go back through the story and locate known words in the book.
I am sure that the level E books will bore him, but hopefully this will help.

Most important is to have him read daily. You can't become a reader if you don't practice reading.

practice

some more thoughts
Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Has he had his vision checked with an eye dr?
Also, if he is still at a level D this tells me and should tell his teacher that whatever the teacher is doing is not working. The teacher needs to find another way to instruct him. Literacy collaborative is a framework only. Guided reading books are used to teach reading. I noticed that your profile says that you are a 2nd grade teacher. I am sure you have level E books that can be used with your grandson.

Jean

Literacy collaborative Level D
Old 03-26-2016, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I’ve been retired for 9 years and I wanted to ask someone who was in special education. His mother (my daughter-in-law) is a special need adult. She stated he lost his glasses, she got he a pair of reading glasses until he’s able to get his prescription glasses. Also I am going to schedule a conference with teacher after Spring break. She stated that she wanted him to use self-monitoring comprehension. Thanks for the information.

practice

Hope the conference gives you ideas
Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You stated that the teacher wants him to self-monitor for comprehension. I take that as meaning he is not thinking or using meaning as he reads. The level D books are pretty patterned and a lot of times students with reading issues will try to memorize the patterned book instead of relying on the meaning of the story to help them problem solve unknown words.
If I were you I would do the following:
1. Get his eye glasses - even if you have to pay for another pair. Reading glasses are not the same as prescription glasses. It is hard to learn to read if you can't clearly see the strange lines we call letters.
2. Use level E books and give him a strong book orientation with meaning and unfamiliar words being discussed in the book introduction.
3. Do lots of rereading of the same books over and over again making sure his eyes are always looking at the words. A lot of times, students with reading issues will take their eyes off the words a lot. Look for this, if he is doing it. Get it stopped soon.
4. Relate back to the meaning as much as possible. If he must learn to self-monitor for comprehension like his teacher says, then this is what you need to say: Let's pretend he is reading and he says something that doesn't make sense, then you must say, "That didn't make sense. When your reading and you say something that doesn't make sense, you have to stop and think what would make sense and reread and think what word would make sense and start with that letter." You have to get him to do the work (self-monitor).

Hope this helps!
But please, don't wait another day for those glasses. Get his eye glasses before anything else.