Special Education

Literacy question

>

question?

question?

Literacy question
Old 01-18-2008, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a fifth grader still ALWAYS flipping his b's and d's when writing and he has low fluency for fifth grade. He is a very bright student and does well in other subjects. Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Miss Melissa

Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe he's dyslexic? Has he ever been tested for that?
Miss Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's what I was thinking. Is it rare for a student to get all the way to fifth grade and never been tested for dyslxia?
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

I have had a child like this
Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and I asked him if he realized he did that. Most of the time it is dyslexia, but sometimes it is just a habit. Have him think about the word and if it has a "b" instead of a "d" have him say to himself, "B, bat before ball" That means the long line before the ball part of the b. I hope I explained that well enough. It works so much better when you can show them as you are explaining! !
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

GreatGrin

an idea
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Keep in mind that dyslexia is a learning disability. A physical cue that might help is to make a thumbs up with each hand. The backs of your hand face out...
Your left hand should look like a "b" and the right a "d". We read left to right...b comes before d. I would say and model..."A" -"B"(hold up left thumbs up) "C"- "D"(hold up right hand thumbs up).
It's HARD to explain-hope you can make sense of it!

Truth be told, if it is a learning disability, all these steps will be too much!

GreatGrin is offline   Reply With Quote

bis4betsy

left/right confusion
Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The left hand looks like a b and the right hand looks like a d might work if this child is NOT dyslexic. Confusion with directionality, left vs. right is common with dyslexic students. Do they reverse any other letters or occasionally use an upper case B/D instead? (Common strategy used because those letters don't look anything alike.)
If you want more information on dyslexia go to:
http://www.dys-add.com/
Lots of really useful, practical information for teachers and parents.
bis4betsy is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

Box it first
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This works for lower case b/d (adapted from Handwriting without Tears)

Draw a box and start in the upper left corner, draw your big line down to start. Next its time for your little curve. A b-belly curve stays in the box, a d curve sticks out of the box.

Sometimes you also have better luck if you just teach one for a while and then practice the other one once you have mastery or as close as you can get.

Perhaps this little trick will turn it around quick for him.

Perhaps he has other reversals and confusion and is reading with mostly meaning to problem solve. It might take him a longer, thus effected his fluency.

Have his eyes checked by the nurse.

To build fluency, could he read picture books to a younger student. Could your class do buddy reading with a k, 1, or 2nd grade class?

Readers theater is helpful because it gives students a reason to reread and build there fluency. Once they have it they know what it sounds like and they can transfer it with more ease when they are reading unseen text.
kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great suggestions thanks!! I have only noticed lower case b and d and not upper case.

tmiller

dylxexia myth
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I always thought the same with dyslexia, but according to The international Dyslexia organization (I learned of this through Wilson reading system)
"The problems displayed by individuals with dyslexia involve difficulties in acquiring and using written language. It is a myth that dyslexic individuals “read backwards,” although spelling can look quite
jumbled at times because students have trouble remembering letter symbols for sounds and formingmemories for words. Other problems experienced by dyslexics include the following:
�� Learning to speak
�� Learning letters and their sounds
�� Organizing written and spoken language
�� Memorizing number facts
�� Reading quickly enough to comprehend
�� Persisting with and comprehending longer reading assignments"

This is a common problem children learn early on and practice consistently, therefore, by the time they get to 5th grade (as I have some bright that do the same)....this is a hard habit to break. Usually for LD students a visual cue works great. I have a student that puts her fists together to imagine it is a bed. from left to right (as we read) left is a b and right is a d as in the word bed. This makes more sense when you do it.
tmiller is offline   Reply With Quote