Help

Special Education

Help please

>

rose4123

Help please
Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a LTS for a 6th grade special ed teacher. I'm not certified special ed, so I'm not to sure what to do with this one student. I've been in this position for about 2 weeks and this one student (a girl) will not talk to me unless she needs to use the rest room or repeat the words out of the reading program (she and one other student are pulled out of the regular reading class and are with me at that time). She won't ask for help in her other classes and she does not talk to the other teachers. She did not talk to the teacher I took over for either. She has been at this school since November (I think) and she does have a group of friends she talks to. But it's nothing like the other students. I feel so bad when she comes to reading with me, I feel like I am really forcing her to answer my questions. It seems like she is getting up set and shutting down. But I don't know if it is because of the material or me. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this girl to open up a bit? Any tips would be wonderful!!

rose4123 is offline   Reply With Quote

bis4betsy

talk to the nurse and counselor
Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like this girl might have some trust issues that could be stemming from abuse/neglect?
bis4betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
teach'nlearn

teach'nlearn

Sm?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It could be selective mutism, where a child will have a group of friends, will talking to CERTAIN people, but will not speak to other certain people. Thats just a possibility...