Help

Special Education

Help

>

Prissy2

Help
Old 02-02-2008, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please Proteachers to the rescue! I have a 4th grade student with autism. She works on a second grade level in a fourth grade classroom. Now that we're into the testing season, the general education teacher insists that she is given fourth grade preparation work. I have been pulling my hair out. She does not understand, and doesn't cooperate when asked to complete these assignments. What is your take on this? I contend that she works on level two on the same type skill as the class but on a 2nd grade level. After all, the goal is to move her with some degree of accuracy until she reaches grade 4 level. Please respond.

Thanks,

Prissy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

I'm confused
Old 02-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you adjusting the curriculum or adjusting the readability on a 4th grade curriculum to a 2nd grade level? Is the teacher wanting her to do 4th grade math but she can only do 2nd grade math? The teacher can't insist all of a sudden that she be proficient. I understand the concern, but the student shouldn't be the one to flex on this. Adjusting the 4th grade curriculum to what the student can understand will make things a bit easier. Are you a 1-on-1 with this student? Does she have an IEP that says to modify curriculum? Your first job is to follow the IEP and adjust what you need to in order to meet the requirements of that.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Unfortunately, what is most
Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

likely occurring for this child right now is that she is too high functioning for your state's alternative test and too low functioning to successfully complete the standard 4th grade test. In most states, there is nothing available for these intermediate children and she will be forced to participate in the fourth grade level testing.

The gen-ed teacher is most likely thinking that if she has to participate in the 4th grade level test, she might as well practice with the 4th grade level stuff.

It sucks but there are not a lot of alternatives for these students caught in limbo until the laws are changed.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Prissy2

Testing
Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You are absolutely correct. She's caught in the middle and so am I. Well, the general ed teacher is thinking that this child will pull her state test scores down and she is absolutely correct. Her IEP states that she is to work toward 2nd grade standards. So, mastering fourth grade standards are out. Compatible skills yes.
Prissy2 is offline   Reply With Quote