Special Education

HELP-my 1st time teaching concept of time

>

jlynn910

jlynn910

HELP-my 1st time teaching concept of time
Old 03-05-2006, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hoping someone might have some suggestions for me. I am doing my student teaching and I have having serious issues with the teacher that I was placed with. She does a wonderful job with her students but not with adults. I have been a substitute teacher for two years and I have no trouble handling the students. However this is my first time having to develop lessons on my own for a specific topic. The teacher whom I am working under will give me no help. I've only been in the room for five days and the special needs students in the room are all at different cognitive levels. The teacher wants me to introduce the concept of time to these students who have never been introduced to it before. I have to come up with lessons for the entire week all based around time. I'm doing okay with it except for the initial introduction of the topic. I need a 30 min. intro to time for these students who are being taught as if they were in Kindergarten. I have no idea what is or isn't appropriate for their levels.

I plan on opening the lesson with questions to try and involve the students and to help myself get a better understanding of what their proir knowledge is of the topic. I then plan to talk about clocks help us know what time it is. And how clocks come in many different shapes and sizes. I will have some on the rug for them to look at while I am talking. I then planned on explaining that there are two hands on a clock, that clocks are in every classroom so that everyone can see what time it is and go to specific activities or classes when they should. I also planned on talking about how their picture schedule is a way to know what time it is and what we should be doing. Then I was going to talk about how time can be many different things such as the days of the week, the months, and how there are sertain times of the year (seasons).

Since the teacher that I am working under won't help me out at all I was hoping that maybe someone else could. I just want to make sure that I'm in the right ball park with what I should be going over for an introduction of time. Thanks for any help that you may be able to offer!

lola

lola

Time
Old 03-05-2006, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,
That's a tough one... I usually teach time very gradually, refering to the clock on the wall all the time since September ( recess is in ten minutes, wneh the big hand is..) then when we come to 'formal' teaching at least most of the kids have an idea of what I'm talking about.
Anyway, you could ask them a few questions such as : How many times can you hop on one leg in 1 minute? How many tokens can you count? How many times do you exhale in one minute? How long does it take you to go to the door, bathroom, yard? How long does it take you to tie your shoe laces, pack your bag...? Record all their answers and then let them experiment. Let them come up with more questions. Then go on for a while, timing regular activities ( doing the math exercices, writing an assignment, recess) You need a few stopwatches for this but I bet the sports teachers could lend you some for a week.
Make a big chart with all predictions and answers and hang it in full view.
Then you can move on to regular activities, and recurrent events etc
Hope this helps

michellen2008

Good advice, Lola
Old 04-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like good advice to me, Lola... as I'm a visual learner, too, since I have Autism.

Good luck !! And, hopefully, the teacher will better assist you now on.. if not, I'd try writing her a letter about how you feel.. or talk to the principal about how you feel.

Michelle
HFA; higher-functioning autism, bipolar disorder, and ADHD
michellen2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
N I Hussain

N I Hussain

first grade Teacher
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did this just today! I taped 2 pieces of paper and made sections for second, minute, hour,day, week, month ,year,decade, century, and millenium. I read the book Counting Time by Joan Sweeney ( Dreagon fly books). In partners, the kids illustreated and explained what they can do in all these categories ( blink in a second, draw a picture in a minute, read a chapter book in an hour and so on...) IT was really successful and served as an assessment as well....My next step will be talking about how we measure a minutem hour, week month and so on....I feel like understanding the concept of time passing is more important in the early stage than actually looking at an anologue clock....there are many good websites for these , just google "telling time" and they will show up- good luck!