Help

Special Education

New co-teacher...any advice?

>

Kfo

New co-teacher...any advice?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher and I just started Co-teach for middle school. I am not sure exactly what my bounderies are with the other teacher in the room. I work with several different teachers during the day and all of them have different teaching styles. Some of the classes are out of control and I am not sure if I should speak up and discipline or leave it up to the teacher who has been there the whole year. I dont want to step on any toes and make it seem like I am trying to take over the class...but I just dont want to sit there and do nothing either. I feel that discipline is everyones responsibility...For the time being I am just concentrating on helping the students who are struggling and walking around while the teacher is lecturing (going over new material, notes, etc) and making sure students are on task. Are there any other teachers out there in a co-teach position who could give me some advice. Thanks!

Kfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thing 1

Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My biggest fear with co teaching is that the teacher will view us as glorified para pros. I love paras and have the greatest amount of respect for them. I was once a para for 8 years but now I'm a teacher and I want to be treated as one. I haven't started co teaching yet although I put the offer out and no one took me up on it. I'm a resource teacher for K-4. For me, I would need clarity of our roles. I would conference with the teachers and develop the boundries and what is expected of both of us Will you be able to teach lessons too or are you just helping out? Are you both grading the students? Are you both planning the lessons? Correcting the work? Who's recording the grades? Make sure you get the details ironed out first before you go much further. I hope this helps.
Thing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kfo

Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks that does help! I will sit down with the teachers and figure out what they expect from and let them know what I expect from them. My ideal situation would be to act as a team when it comes to discipline and procedures...but as far as grading papers or dividing up lesson plans, I think I would rather let them be in charge of that because of all the other paperwork that is associated with being an ESE teacher, it might become too overwhelming and I am not a basic ed teacher my area of expertise is working the students. I appreciate the post and I am feeling a litle better about the situation. Thanks again!
Kfo is offline   Reply With Quote

msunrullieone

my 1st year as inclusion/coteach
Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It has been very difficult for me to transition to a co-teach role this year. We did not plan very well and jumped in to it. What I would recommend: communicate about your roles to avoid misunderstandings and miscommunications. "Assumptions" are dangerous in this role.
msunrullieone is offline   Reply With Quote

Inclusion/Co-teaching
Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been a self-contained MR teacher for the past 10 years. I loved it!!! That's all I've done. This year, I was changed to a LD position with full inclusion (not by choice). It has been SOOOO hard to adjust. I love all the people I work with; however, I don't feel the students see me as a teacher. They don't think I have any authority. I was told (by administration) that I was a teacher in the classroom just like the general ed. teacher. I could contact parents, handle discipline, write referrals, etc. My name does not appear anywhere as to my position as a teacher in that gen. ed. class; so, I don't think the students see me as a teacher -- I'm just an extra person. I have been asked by students why wasn't I a real teacher? Why didn't I have my own class. (I do have my own classroom). I have always answered - I am and they reply "Really -- So why don't you have your own students?" I say they are all my students but I don't think they get it. I received my degree as an adult and it took me 6 hard years. I'm having a very hard time handling the question "Why aren't you a real teacher?" I have my caseload with special ed. students so my name appears on the IEP's - but where else? We do have 2 para's that are in some classes and 2 inclusion teachers. The other inclusion teacher has been there longer so she doesn't seem to have the same problem. I can say the same thing the general ed. teacher would say when a student asks to do something, etc., but I get comments, eye rolling, disrespect, etc. (I try to follow her rules as closely as possible). If I let them do all they ask or what they wanted to do, they would be in and out of the room the entire class time and/or talk the whole time. I will ask them to stop talking, more than once, and they continue. The teacher can walk in, and they usually stop. All she does is tell them no and they usually accept it without the disrespect. Of course, there are some students that aren't going to follow anyone's directions. It's already 2nd semester and things haven't gotten any easier - maybe worse. I can teach anytime I want so I am doing more than just assisting students; however, right now I'm pulling students who are working on VGLA so I'm not in the general ed. classroom very much. Which I think may make it worse because when I am there, the more reason they have that they don't have to follow my directions. Don't get me wrong, it's not all students. We have some very sweet, well mannered students that have no problems following directions, even if the answer is no. The teachers/administrators DO NOT make me feel like a para, by any means. It's just the students. Has anyone out there had the same problem - or is it just me? (sorry for the lengthy post)

Inclusion/Co-teaching
Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm sorry. I spend so much time on the previous issue that I failed to also mention that since I'm pulling students for VGLA and not in the gen.ed. classroom very much, I have a big problem leaving those students who are suppose to be receiving services in the gen. ed. setting. Actually, I'm not following the IEP and I have a big problem with that! I can't be in 2 places at once. I'm not totally convienced that the VGLA students see me as a "real" teacher. (maybe they do but I wonder sometimes) The general ed. students know I'm pulling students. I'm sure that plays on the sp. ed. students' self-esteem more than if they just came to a self-contained class for that subject. I have had gen. ed. students refer to the "retarded" class more than once. I hate that word (and I have told them that) and I know students use that word all the time; however, I feel bad for the students being thought of that way and hearing that comment. I can say that I feel inclusion is probably good for some students but there are others who need that small, individualized instruction. That's the reason for the IEP - they can learn but they just need a little more. Again, I'm knew to this "inclusion" setting and maybe I just need more time to adjust NCLB?? We are leaving more children behind now than we have ever before. Any advise out there? Help!!