Help

Special Education

Man, I am totally BEAT!!

>

Lottalove

Man, I am totally BEAT!!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was already dreading this quarter and did not want to return after break but already, it has more than lived up (or is that--down) to my expectations....

Due to circumstances beyond my control, the para for one of my students w/ PDD is gone and they cannot find a replacement!!! Not to get too personal but he is 8 and not potty-trained for BM's. He is stinky, has 5-7 BM's a day some days, refuses to help himself with toileting and does not want anyone else toileting him. Each restroom break is like WW3! I cannot help the para most times as I already have a class full (whole other vent) and no classroom aide at the time of his restroom breaks.

I cannot imagine a sub who will ever accept this job twice. He is always worse when there are any changes and a different sub or para everyday is just asking for problems.

What should I do??? My room is in chaos more than ever...nothing educational can even hope to take place. The others honestly cannot work independently or stay on task without constant supervision so I cannot even hope to get them started on something while I deal with this little guy....I am literally sick...my head hurts, my stomach is upset and I have had to make myself get out of bed the last two days...I cannot deal with this to the end of the year...

Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

RAD

Time for a meeting
Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would say it is time to call a Team meeting. Is there a medical reason he is not toilet trained? 5-7 BMs a day is NOT normal. Have you talked to Adminstration?
I have an 8th grade student that has "accidents" because he is too lazy to go to the bathroom. He came in my room on Wed. to use my bathroom, and then proceeds to tell me he had an accident. He only had summer shorts in his tub where he keeps some extra clothes. No underwear, just the shorts. I called the Asst. Principal as I didn't know what to do and I was teaching a class at the time. Usually I just handle these things, but calling the AP was the best thing I could have done. He is very supportive, but I don't think he really knew what I deal with on a daily basis. He found some extra clothes and some soap and had the student go to the locker room and shower. He really got on him and the student will lose privileges until he gets his act together.
My point is that you need to get someone involved who has the power to do something about it. Then you need a meeting with the parents to get their ideas and support. This is not fair to you, the other students, or the student with PDD.
I wish you the best.
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Old 01-04-2008, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry to hear this is happening. I have a few students who need a para too. When she's on break, it's Murphy's Law that one of them will have an accident while she's gone. It's not like I can leave the classroom to take care of it. I always call the office and have them deal with it. At the very least, one of the admins can watch my class while I take care of it (if it's one of the boys that is). Otherwise, I'm kind of dependent on them.

I think with the help of your admin, some pressure needs to be put on the powers that be in the spec. ed. dept. to get someone in there for you. Good luck, and we'll be thinking of you. Hang in there. There's many here who can share your pain and listen when you need to vent.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Prissy2

Accidents
Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is an aged old question. Is the special education teacher responsible for students who have toileting accidents when the para is not present?
Prissy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I look at it this way- if the para's not around, you do what you have to do. Unfortunately, academics have to take a back seat in times of bathroom emergency!

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Well, the week ended...
Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

2 subs in three days...the one only returning the second day as she accepted it as a two day gig and felt it would be unprofessional to bail in the middle (thank God). Both were offered the job to the end of the year and both refused...vehemently...the one who had done two days was giddy/laughing hysterically (literally-in hysterics) as she told me so...

I did meet with a third sub Friday after school. She has potential. She did 2 years ECSE before and has her own fairly active child...plus she is not freaked out by the whole issue of toileting a very bright 8 year old.

My SpEd director seems supportive--she does often make excuses or pass the buck to her higher-ups--sometimes rightly so. She is at least willing to listen and offer some suggestions.

I've decided not to overly fuss about my (lack of) conference time for the time being. I'll figure something out. Besides I don't have tenure yet--Shoot--I'm not sure I will even be there by then.

Thanks for letting me vent. I know I'm not alone.

P.S. We had the IEP's on the two new kids. One is Speech and OT only so won't be with me after all. The other will attempt to mainstream with a para (already hired) so he'll be on my caseload but not in my classroom (except for occasional emergencies). Hallelujah!!!!!!!
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Mommy Teacher

Weary and worn
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sounds like the only answer is prayer. Without a good para, the teacher has little hope of making any significant academic progress even without the toileting issue.

Our school has given a regular ed teacher 6 + or - sped kids with 12 to 15 regular ed kids some with behavior issues without a para. She is about to have a nervous breakdown.

These situations are all over the country so good luck -- tie a knot in your rope and hang on. This too shall pass and you sound like a good teacher and the kids need all the good teachers we can get.

Good Luck
Mommy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote