Help

The VENT

My summer school kids are jerks

>

GreyhoundGirl

My summer school kids are jerks
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was going to type a stronger word but changed my mind. I have 2 groups and they’re both awful. Yesterday I gave clear directions and at least half didn’t listen. I have an interpreter in the room and I heard her slap her hands down. I turned around and she was shaking her head. I asked if I gave the directions and confirmed I did.

They talk back, argue, don’t listen, and are just jerks. I think it’s because I’m new and missed the first few days. Today was slightly better.

And I’m pretty sure it’s not going to lead to a job. The summer school P seems underwhelmed.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yuck. What grade are these little angels?
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím guessing that they were jerks during the school year which has caused them to be in summer school.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Entering 4th and 5th. I donít know if itís because I missed the first 2 days, because Iím new to the district or both but...yuck.

Today was better. Weíll see what happens.

Knowing itís probably not going to lead to a job is actually taking a lot of pressure off.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 06-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I usually teach summer school too. It's mostly the kids that we repeatedly told to quit goofing off all year. So yeah, not the shining stars of behavior most of the time. There are a few exceptions of just kids that struggle and aren't behavior issues, but those are few and far between.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-07-2019, 02:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Maybe this isn't true everywhere, but in the districts I've worked in spots for summer school have been very limited and there have been a whole bunch of kids who could have benefited. In my first two districts, teachers only sent fairly well behaved kids. I enjoyed teaching summer school in those districts.

When I started in my current district, I eagerly signed up for summer school again because I always needed the money and it was always way easier than teaching during the year. Here, it was a nightmare. I had 3 kids with extremely severe behaviors and a whole bunch of others who I had to nag constantly to get them to stop talking/goofing around or do anything.

If you only have 3-4 spots to choose from for your class, why would you choose someone who is just going to goof off the entire time and not get anything out of it, or worse, make sure the rest of the class can't learn either? Especially knowing that there are only a few weeks of half days- you don't want to have to spend half of that time trying to establish and review routines. And there are no extra behavior supports like there are during the year. What were people thinking? We have TONS of kids in my building who are behind but would behave and try their best.

I didn't have to make a decision about doing it again, because the district decided it wasn't worth it and quit funding summer school . Maybe it would have been more successful had they put kids in it who actually were there to learn.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying your class. Maybe you're dodging a bullet not working in this particular school full time?
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote