The VENT

What next

>

Tired19

Tired19

What next
Old 06-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you been hit by a student before? No one thinks itís a big deal when you say... kindergarten but still... canít wait for year to be done

Unicorngirl

Yep.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have punched square in the jaw.
Unicorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Countingdown

Yes
Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes. I was trying to stop a second grader from throwing a very large rock at another childís head. I stepped in front of him and he dropped the rock. I told him to head to the office. He turned and slapped my hand. He managed to catch the clipboard I was carrying. He bent my thumb back and the nail bent back. It hurt and my nail turned black where he caught it. My principal usually gave the kids a pass but this time she came down hard.
Countingdown is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Scratched and hit, and it p!sses me smooth off that nobody really seems to care, especially because I teach sped. Itís like a given. I have a violent kiddo, who is only going to become stronger as he gets older. Iím joining our state teachersí association - kind of like a union, but not really. I donít trust my district to not be butts if he does something that requires medical attention.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

No Question About It...
Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would be calling the police department and reporting any student who hits. I don't care if the child is special ed or not.

It is never too early to begin documentation on a child who is showing anger issues.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Knocked Down

Knocked Down

Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A middle school student ran down the hall, jumped on my back, and pulled me to the floor. I had just walked away from the student, who was punching, shoving, and kicking me, after I had caught him/her leaving his/her assigned classroom, and had told him/her to return to class. I was following my CPI training to disengage and de-escalate. The school system said I interacted inappropriately, despite security video showing that I never touched the student, only turned away to deflect the strikes. I was reported to the Dept. of Children's Services for child abuse. I was 62.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was just happy not to get hit, kicked, bit or scratched today!

But my summer kids are mod/severe nonverbal kinders. They dont have a better way to get their needs met yet.

I have also been hit and kicked by gen ed kids, but I vowed to file a police report from here on out if a child hits or kicks me. Hasnt happened in a while, actually. Im in a good groove
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with doing a police report every time. When teachers don't take the tough road on being abused on the job, they are in fact delaying appropriate help for the student. Parents and district officials will finally get something done for that student. When teachers do not take the tough road by filing a police report and pressing charges they endanger the child and the child's next teacher. In my long career I saw two teachers injured so badly they were put on permanent disability and the district gave them nothing but grief about it,forcing them to see doctors they did not want. No one but the teacher cared about the teacher's severe injury. Get good care and protect yourself and your career. Always stay informed about your rights in the state Ed code. I taught kindergarten and would not have ever tolerated a child hitting me. That would automatically call for a classroom suspension for two days.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My first year I had a student push me and with encourgement [sp] from the AP I filed a police report. I will not put up with any student being violent.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Knocked Down

Knocked Down

Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When the middle school student knocked me down, I did briefly consider making a report. I had spent my entire teaching career working with elementary students with significant behavioral and learning disabilities. I had been involuntarily transferred to a middle school setting and assigned as behavior support to students working on grade-level material. Some of these students were being monitored by the courts, and had previously been sent to residential facilities. I had no experience in this area and was hesitant to cause permanent problems for a student & family due to my lack of experience in these matters.

With my 20/20 hindsight, this is what I would do now: I would create a big stink within the school system over ANY injuries, even minor ones, because it is ultimately THEIR responsibility to protect other students and staff from students who have documented aggression issues. The student apologized to me for losing control, and told the DCS investigator that s/he had jumped on my back and knocked me down. The system ignored my requests for guidance and support, then used the incident to terminate me.

I had never made a big deal about my injuries, because my severe disability students were having the equivalent of a 3-yr-old tantrum and I always focused on redirecting and teaching appropriate behaviors. I would now document ANY time a student touched me in an aggressive manner, and demand that the school system come up with a plan to protect me from future injuries. I believe that my acceptance of injuries as just part of my unique position enabled the school system to continue to under-support teachers and paras, then turn around and blame those same teachers and paras for the escalating behavior problems.

To clarify: I would still not be upset by the routine injuries that tend to occur with certain populations of students, but I would make a big fuss about it to the school system. I agree with statements by others on this board; I think down-playing injuries, along with providing our own materials and supplies when the system doesn't provide, and working on our own time because the school system doesn't provide sufficient planning time, are all teacher behaviors that have resulted in our current low esteem by government leaders.