Help

The VENT

Deadline to break contract passed, got me like

>

checkerjane

Deadline to break contract passed, got me like
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

wanting to send my son to his grandparents and sit in the dark wallowing in self pity knowing I’ll be in the circles of hell again next year. No phone calls or e-mails, and no more resignations at my district - not like it matters, they wouldn’t move me anyway. Having a pity party today.

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

I'm sorry
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I totally know how you feel.

Hang in there.
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

deadline
Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry to hear you'll be in a bad situation again. How did it pass without you knowing? Were you trying to resign completely or move to another school?
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you'll be in a bad situation again. How did it pass without you knowing? Were you trying to resign completely or move to another school?
I knew the deadline was 6/15. I applied at three schools, got an interview for gen ed at one but didn’t get it. Got a sped (what I currently teach) offer at that same school for what would have most likely been 3 and 4 year-olds. That would not have been a good age group for me, so I turned it down.

I’ve begged to be moved back to gen ed at my current district since March. They had four openings that I’m qualified to teach, but hired from the outside for all of them.

I was holding out some hope that I’d get a call from one of the other districts I’d applied at before 6/15, but it didn’t happen, henceforth my pity party.

anna

Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can you just quit and start your own sped /gen ed tutoring business? I'm seeing more teachers do this.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Questions??
Old 06-17-2019, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So what would happen if you do get a call from those other districts, went to the interviews, and got a job offer? I sure would go to the interviews.

Can't you just tell your district that you are not returning? What could they do to you if you did not return and took a different job?

In my district, you can inform the district you are not returning until (and maybe after) the first day of school. If you break your contract in June, it costs $100, in July $200, and in August $500.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Can you just quit and start your own sped /gen ed tutoring business? I'm seeing more teachers do this.
No, I have to have good insurance due to a chronic illness. My husband’s insurance is crappy and would cost us an arm and a leg.

Quote:
So what would happen if you do get a call from those other districts, went to the interviews, and got a job offer? I sure would go to the interviews.

Can't you just tell your district that you are not returning? What could they do to you if you did not return and took a different job?

In my district, you can inform the district you are not returning until (and maybe after) the first day of school. If you break your contract in June, it costs $100, in July $200, and in August $500.
If I get a call for an interview, I’ll definitely go. If I get an offer, I’ll definitely try and get out. From my understanding, my current district can “hold” my certification if I try to resign after 6/15, which means it wouldn’t transfer to another district. The 6/15 thing is a deadline put forth by the state (Oklahoma) in the continuing contract policy.

I can’t tell them I won’t be returning unless I have another job lined up.

whiteturtle

Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm sorry. I do believe that we are all exactly where we are supposed to be at any given time in our lives. Look around for what lessons you might be supposed to learn in this place. Take care of yourself and your students. Come here for support when you need it. Also remember that nothing stays the same forever. Things may shift for you in unexpected ways. You can do this.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Checkerjane
Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm right there with you. Not so sure it helps to hear that but sending you a hug.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I'm right there with you. Not so sure it helps to hear that but sending you a hug
Back to you