Help

Magnolia Room

help! New teacher starting Monday..

>

aSubForNow

help! New teacher starting Monday..
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am no longer a substitute as of this past Monday and I'm freaking out! I get my kids this coming Monday Sept 22. This school did not make AYP last year so the focus is going to be on reading. So, I'm afraid Morning Meeting will be looked at as a waste of time.

Any suggestions on how to implement Responsive Classroom on the 19th day of school...they will be coming from 2 other second grade rooms...it's an overflow class.

Also, any suggestions on non-verbal quiet signals other than a hand raised. I don't care for either of the signals my instructor used.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I wanted to message sooner, but I forgot. My head is swarming with thoughts and my body full of nerves.

tpateacher

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations on your new job! I would treat the first few days in your new classroom as the first week of school. Use the time to teach procedures and routines and build your classroom community. Create your classroom rules together. Are the students coming from rooms who do Responsive Classroom?

I use the Zenergy chime for a quiet signal. These are sold at the RC workshops, but I ordered mine from Amazon.

aSubForNow

Thanks for the reply...
Old 09-20-2008, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Responsive Classroom is not used by anyone that I know of in my district. Currently, the second grade teachers use the humilation and ridicule management plan. I'm hoping they aren't so used to that "style" that that is all they respond to. That's my biggest concern.

What quiet signal do you use if you don't have your chime with you at the time?

4thGradeNV

quiet signal
Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use a time out (like in sports) sign. And then when the kids show the sign back to me I thank each one. As you start to say thank you to one the others start to look around and also give the sign. It's quick and easy and works very well in my room.