Help

Special Education

what can I do for fluency in reading

>

Jean

what can I do for fluency in reading
Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student with serve cognitive delay, I am using the Edmark 1 reading program ,the whiperphone and the readerís highligter,what can I do for fluency?

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

Great Leaps
Old 03-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use Great Leaps...it's really easy and an assistant can do this (with proper training--I have one who insists on doing it correctly but WONT). Anyway, you time them, and record their WPM and errors. And, there's a bit of a comprehension part too. There are word lists and passages to read.

Oh, and the price is pretty inexpensive for what it's made for.

http://www.greatleaps.com/
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Fluency
Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Define how you want fluency to look. Are you just wanting as many words per minute as possible or are you looking for more of a conversational type reading?

I prefer the kids use more of a conversational type reading. I feel it helps them to also understand what they are reading and to me that is the whole idea. To do this, I have the kids work on decoding the words in isolation with flip cards (words on index cards)that are found in the text, then we read the passage while making sure the student marks where we are making short pauses (commas) and long pauses (periods). It takes practice but they hear it. I also have them read into a recording program on a computer or iTouch and listen to themselves. This helps quite a bit too as they don't think they sound like they do

You can also find fluency rubrics online that could help you.

I don't have a specific program as I just try to pull in what each child needs according to their IEP areas. Hope I gave you some ideas though.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

java juke

Fluency
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was in graduate school I did alot of research on this subject. The research is pretty clear that the best way to improve fluency is repeated oral reading. It is helpful if they read the same text until it's fluent - with prosody and accuracy.

They can really read anything - Reader's Theatre, poems, songs, passages, or even just a pargraph from a story. I have MR kids who can read fluently on grade level with great prosody, but comprehension is a different story. The repeated oral reading needs to happen at least a couple of days a week for it to be effective.

The Fluent Reader by Timothy Rasinski is a great book if you would like to read more.
java juke is offline   Reply With Quote

traceteach

Circle Six
Old 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use passages from the differentiated reading passages found in our Scott-Foresman reading series to do circle six. Before we adopted the series, I used a book of nonfiction passages. The beauty is that you can use any passage on any level and it works the same way. I draw six circles at the bottom of the passage. The student reads aloud to me on Monday morning, and I initial the first circle. On Monday-Thursday night, they read aloud to parents for 1 minute each night. We just make a slash mark at the point they stopped after one minute. The passage is due back to school on Friday. They read aloud to me again on Friday morning, and I initial the last circle. Instead of reading for just one minute, you could also have the student read the entire passage each time, but I do the one minute to prepare students for DIBELS.

traceteach is offline   Reply With Quote